RC Competitor

ERBE rebuild gone bad

Owned mine for a year and decided to rebuild and replace some bearings, rebuild diff, etc. got it all back together and if I spin the front tires forward, the back go reverse. And vice versa. So each set is turning in apposing directions. I imagine 1 of my diffs are reversed? I know each has an up direction which I know is right, is there a diff between front and back diffs? I guess I could have reverse those. Looking for help before i start tearing apart.

RC Champion
    One of your diffs is backwards. Which ever one is spinning backwards when you give it throttle.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    no there is no difference between front or rear.if my memory serves me correct the bigger side of the case goes towards the right side (passenger side) and the rear diff the bigger side of the diff goes on the left (drivers side) and what i mean by the bigger side is the side the ring gear is on

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The easy way to know if the diff is on the right side before the assemble is to spin the diff to the left, if the tires move forward it is on the correct side.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    no there is no difference between front or rear.if my memory serves me correct the bigger side of the case goes towards the right side (passenger side) and the rear diff the bigger side of the diff goes on the left (drivers side) and what i mean by the bigger side is the side the ring gear is on
    there is if the front is spinning forward and the rear is spinning backwards when giving it throttle....
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    there is if the front is spinning forward and the rear is spinning backwards when giving it throttle....
    He is saying that the diffs are the same, which they are, one is just installed upside down.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    correct me if i am wrong but he asked if there was a difference for front and rear and the answer is no.it all depends on how you put them in they say on them revo up and if you put them in the correct way all is good so one of them is upside down.

RC Competitor
    The rear was upside down. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    glad you found the problem i have done it once or twice myself.now get out there and have some fun.

RC Racer
    The outer case says on the outside of it "This way up"

RC Competitor
    Came across another issue. Before my rebuild I could do standing backflips. When I rebuilt the diffs, both looked to just be greased, no fluid. I filled the rear with 50k and the front with 30k. Now no standing flips or even wheelies. Does that sound right with 4s? Top speed is still there, so I'm trying decide if I like this or not.

RC Qualifier
    i don't think the diff fluid is your problem.i put 100k in both my diffs and it still will wheelie on 4s.tighten up your slipper all the way then back off a 1/4 turn see if that helps.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughesne View Post
    Came across another issue. Before my rebuild I could do standing backflips. When I rebuilt the diffs, both looked to just be greased, no fluid. I filled the rear with 50k and the front with 30k. Now no standing flips or even wheelies. Does that sound right with 4s? Top speed is still there, so I'm trying decide if I like this or not.
    no, diff oil wouldn't change anything except cornering (the exception would be a center diff which you don't mention)
    My guess would be your slipper clutch is set looser now than it was before, try tightening it up a bit untill you like it. 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    What about the back end sagging? I replaced the shock oil with 60wt and have been trying some new springs. I have tans on now and if I push the back end down it doesn't come all the way back up, only about 1/2 inch. I've got the spring adjuster all the way down, springs as compressed as possible.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughesne View Post
    What about the back end sagging? I replaced the shock oil with 60wt and have been trying some new springs. I have tans on now and if I push the back end down it doesn't come all the way back up, only about 1/2 inch. I've got the spring adjuster all the way down, springs as compressed as possible.
    You should run 80 wt oil and purple springs in the back like I do. You do not want the spring adjuster all the way down like that. Maybe a little less than half way.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    Most here just press the car down, and adjust the preload so that the springs do not fully compress when you fully press the car down.

80WT is kinda thick and i don't think it suitable for every terrain/user. I run 50WT and silver + blue with VDP and swaybars, and handling is great now. Although i might try 60WT next time to see if i like that.

RC Racer
    Was it like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agCSYQ1uxwM

You're not the first one to put that thing wrong way in.

RC Competitor
    Got my diff fixed, broke a rocker on my first bash. Owned this for a year and first broken rocker. I knew I should have died more black. But my slipper is still squealing. I have it all the way tight. The aluminum pads still have life, maybe they have glazed? Weird thing is that during my rebuild I didnt even touch the transmission.

RC Champion
    It is possible for the slipper backing plates to crack. I had this happen and couldnt do a wheelie even with fully tightened nut. Tear the slipper apart and inspect everything.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

The clutch plates can bend over time and also from heat, I have had this happen a few times already.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Competitor
    I flipped my clutch pads and all is good.

I accidentally forgot to attach my sensor cable and my motor was so jerky I thought something else was wrong. Man what a difference a sensored motor makes. I never owned the mmm combo, just my tekin, but if the mmm is that jerky, you should all switch.