RC Enthusiast

Gearing Question with Trenchers

So I just received my trenchers after years of wanting them, but know have no experience with them and gearing for those big tires. how do I gear for soft off-road and on-road driving, with go acceleration and speed?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by foulkjonathon View Post
    So I just received my trenchers after years of wanting them, but know have no experience with them and gearing for those big tires. how do I gear for soft off-road and on-road driving, with go acceleration and speed?
    ...with trenchers i'm geared 14t pinion on stock spur w a mmp + 3400kv tenshock running mostly on 2s. I bash on concrete and off-road 50/50.
    Last edited by noobiznessracin; 04-19-2013 at 11:45 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    YA im running 14t right now on traxxas Vxl with 3s 5000Mah lipo. But did know if 14t was to much for the motor with those big tires?

RC Racer
    I had heat issues running trenchers on stock vxl motor and esc, hence the switch to a different power combination.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll see if I have any major problem, but not so far

RC Racer
    I think you should be fine. My temps went up when I ran on thick grass. Otherwise on flat ground it was fine. Happy bashing dude.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by noobiznessracin View Post
    I had heat issues running trenchers on stock vxl motor and esc, hence the switch to a different power combination.
    I also had heat issues running stock motor/esc and 11t pinion. I geared down to a 9t pinion to be safe. Temps don't get above 160F now and I run the thing hard.

RC Enthusiast
    I was running the stock 11 then switched to a 10 and noticed the acceleration difference right away, but unfortunately I forgot to locktite the little set screw and stripped my spur gear.

I would not go over a 11t pinion with 3s and even then you want the vxl esc fan and a good fan on your motor now that summer is here and maybe put some vents in the windshield to let as much fresh air to the fans for cooling ...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Trenchers are larger and heavier than the stock talons. Also, they get more grip, all of which will strain the motor more. I'd say go down to 10 or 9 pinion to keep the temps the same on the velineon system.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I would not go over a 11t pinion with 3s and even then you want the vxl esc fan and a good fan on your motor now that summer is here and maybe put some vents in the windshield to let as much fresh air to the fans for cooling ...peace
    what fan would you recommend for the motor mate, am running 3s with trenchers on dusty forest track with stock gearing.
    any and all advise welcome
    paddy

RC Enthusiast
    I just have a stock VXL ESC fan and a integy heat sink with no fan on my VXL motor

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by foulkjonathon View Post
    I just have a stock VXL ESC fan and a integy heat sink with no fan on my VXL motor
    thanks mate will av a look , i already have the traxxas esc fan

RC Qualifier
    Im runnin 19/54 and sometimes 21/54 with a tacon 3674 2800 kv.

With the stock system id stay lower

Look at the fans at your lhs to see what fans they can offer you and if not google 540 size heatsink with fan and read reviews on each one until you find the one you like......peace

How about a Kingheadz motor mount and an aluminum fins for the motor? That combo should keep it cool.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    How about a Kingheadz motor mount and an aluminum fins for the motor? That combo should keep it cool.
    Thats what I have too.

That extra weight and size I would go a 9t
    Last edited by No One; 04-26-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4 Monster Mutt

RC Enthusiast
    I only have a integy heat sink with no fan on my motor and haven't had any temp. issue. because I've had bad problems with fan and every time I jump or hit something the fan would break. it seemed like I was buying fans left and right!

RC Enthusiast
    thanks guys, got a heat sink with fan and a 9t pinoin to try, can i just plug the motor fan in the spare plug in the receiver??
    thanks
    Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by paddy d View Post
    thanks guys, got a heat sink with fan and a 9t pinoin to try, can i just plug the motor fan in the spare plug in the receiver??
    thanks
    Paddy
    Yes man then you will be ready to bash hard uk style.....peace

RC Enthusiast
    Yes man then you will be ready to bash hard uk style.....peace
    good stuff, thanks bro

And if you want as i said you can put some vent holes in the front of your pede so the cool air can get to the fans even better man.....peace

RC Competitor
    Hi!

Picked up a set of Trenchers on Sunday... Ran the Pede hard yesterday on 2S in medium grass... No heat issues... Air temp was about 15C

The traction was insane! My 6 year old got a kick out of going full speed reverse, hitting the brakes, and having the Pede do multiple back flips!

Cheers!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRC View Post
    Hi!

Picked up a set of Trenchers on Sunday... Ran the Pede hard yesterday on 2S in medium grass... No heat issues... Air temp was about 15C

The traction was insane! My 6 year old got a kick out of going full speed reverse, hitting the brakes, and having the Pede do multiple back flips!

Cheers!
    i no what ya sayin mate, world of difference from the stock rubber

RC Champion
    I believe when traxxas designed the talons, they intentionally used hard rubber to reduce grip. This was to make the truck slide more, stay on its feet more, and put less stress on the motor/drivetrain.

RC Competitor
    Quick question everyone... I'm new to this hobby... About 3 months ago I purchased the stampede 4x4 vxl (with a 5800 mah 2s lipo) and since then I have clocked in about 5 hours of total run time... I know it's not a lot... The truck looks new except for some scratches here and there and I also replaced some broken parts... I recently ordered 2 pairs of trencher tires mounted on desperado rims... I was looking through the community posts and this one in particular caught my attention... So it looks like I will be buying the 9 tooth pinion gear... So now... My question... Will the speed and acceleration be affected by changing from the stock 11 to the 9? If so is it a drastic change? Like I said I'm new to all this and I'm learning as I go and as the parts break... That's how I'm getting to know the truck... Any info will be appreciated...
    Last edited by Sinuhe_0123; 05-06-2013 at 10:23 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinuhe_0123 View Post
    Quick question everyone... I'm new to this hobby... About 3 months ago I purchased the stampede 4x4 vxl (with a 5800 mah 2s lipo) and since then I have clocked in about 5 hours of total run time... I know it's not a lot... The truck looks new except for some scratches here and there and I also replaced some broken parts... I recently ordered 2 pairs of trencher tires mounted on desperado rims... I was looking through the community posts and this one in particular caught my attention... So it looks like I will be buying the 9 tooth pinion gear... So now... My question... Will the speed and acceleration be affected by changing from the stock 11 to the 9? If so is it a drastic change? Like I said I'm new to all this and I'm learning as I go and as the parts break... That's how I'm getting to know the truck... Any info will be appreciated...
    You will accelerate faster when you gear down but lose top end speed. Going from 11 to 9 I noticed just a little speed change but I definitely noticed more torque.

And torque on a monster truck is just the ticket for fun and backflips off ramps.....peace

RC Racer
    And torque on a monster truck is just the ticket for fun and backflips off ramps.....peace
    Yes indeed! What's up Spennie

Not much man just chillin and getting ready for my new mashers to come in the post ......peace