RC Qualifier

What to look for?

Never owned an e maxx, but considering trading away one of my non traxxas vehicles for one. What are the main things to look for? He mentioned it has the newer grey chassis, good/bad? Keep in mind I'm not looking for a fully upgraded shelf queen but I don't want to end up with total junk. Can these be converted to brushless easily?
    The best thing about Groundhog Day??? Bill Murray.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Most can, some cannot...

If you notice the layout of the chassis.... and the color... the one on the far left (3906) will not handle brushless power. Also make sure the ESC is the newer blue EVX2. If the EVX2 states "low voltage detection" it is the newest ESC available.
    Also look it over for missing screws, broken parts, and general abuse.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Just the poster I was hoping to hear from, thanks! It is indeed a 3905/3903 chassis, It has the blue EVX2 esc. As far as broken parts, I planned on that, but what are the "big problem" spots on these setups? I have some experience with my recently added Tmaxx so the bulks and diffs are something I plan to change. So you're saying Traxxas has 2 models of the EVX2? Is the only way to tell the difference is the LVD logo? Can I disconnect the motors one at a time and test them individually? Same with servos? How are the Servo saver setups on these? Sorry for all the questions but I like to do my homework before making any deals with unknown sellers. Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can test motors individually... but keep in mind they are considered throw away motors and are pretty cheap to replace.

Yes, you can test servos individually... make sure they are the same part number and blue. If they are black Traxxas they are OLD servos.

Only way to tell the difference in EVX2's is the LVD on the logo.

Servo saver... just check for excessive slop.

Keep in mind that eBay chop shops have most wear parts pretty cheap! I would look over what prices are now before you go. That way you have a price in mind for what it is going to take to the the RC back in top shape and can adjust the price of the RC accordingly.

RC Qualifier
    +1 On the steering slop. This truck is pretty easy to work with, and parts are relatively cheap as well. Would highly recommend the double servo saver mod for sure. Common breaks, for me, are broken bulks (and thru pins for the control arms) and the occasional rear shock tower.

RC Qualifier
    Lol ^ that there sounds like cartwheelin problems... I know those all to well. Thanks for the input. I'll post up some pics when i get it back home and start playing doctor. Cheers its Friday!

RC Qualifier
    Ok... sigh. Got it, and no it's not pretty. Not bad, but not good. I'm considering bashing the life out of it so it'll do just fine. Got home, charged up a set of traxxas 3000mah Nimh and took it outside. Both motors and servos worked fine before the swap. A good solid 30 seconds later it lost torque under throttle so I checked and only one motor was warm. Then all of a sudden, had zero throttle. Green light on esc until I throttle then it goes out until I let off. Normal? Is there a way to check if it's an esc or motor problem without buying a new motor? One motor is new. hmmm. I'll get some pics up soon, but now, Pasta!

Green LED is only on at neutral, full throttle, and full reverse.
    I stuffed a DeWALT into my buddies brushed Maxx... only way he could be happier is if he went brushless. *hint hint*

Plug just the new motor in and see if it works... after everything is cooled down.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewbolds View Post
    Green light on esc until I throttle then it goes out until I let off. Normal? Is there a way to check if it's an esc or motor problem without buying a new motor? One motor is new. hmmm. I'll get some pics up soon, but now, Pasta!
    I believe when the green light is on, the esc is in lipo mode. For Nimh batteries the light should be red. That's how my 3903 E-Maxx with the Evx2 is.

If it went into Low Voltage Protection, that could be why you lost power so soon and then had nothing.

To switch to Nimh mode, turn on the tx, then the esc. then press and hold the esc button again for about 10 seconds until it beeps and the light turns to red.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

That is correct... green = LVD if the ESC is LVD equipped. Not sure on non-LVD ESC's what the LED color is.

Acronyms, anyone?

RC Qualifier
    No lvd... figured it out. It was the motors, both at once. Ah well, picked up a 775 motor, rrp 17t pinion and 5mm mounting screws. But because I'm such a smart guy, I forgot my tx on the counter at the lhs. Just for you Jimmy.... "you down wit o.p.p."
    Couldn't resist.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    Ok, not pretty, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Something to beat the snot out of and not really feel too bad. Just realized the motors are not only unmatched but one was burned out which left the other to haul the load. In turn burning out 30ft from the starting point. Just mounted up the new 775 and 17T pinion. Problem is, I forgot my tx at the hobby shop. Going to get it today for sure! Can I run lipos on the older exv-2 if I install an aftermarket LVD alarm? Funny part is, the guy looked me right in the eye and said, " This thing aint never seen no water, or pavement. It's like almost brand new!" Curse those double negatives!

RC Champion
    Yes you can run LiPo's using a plug in type LVA. Just make sure you use the BEC power side.

I see missing screws!!
    Skid plate to brace... running without those could lead to broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    Good eye jimmy. I stripped the hex pulling em out to swap the skids for a set I had. I'll have to look into an LVA.

RC Champion
    are you running one 20turn motor and one 12 turn motor?
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Yes, he was... and knows it.

Post 14:
    "Just realized the motors are not only unmatched but one was burned out which left the other to haul the load. In turn burning out 30ft from the starting point."

RC Champion
    ok i did not read that.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Not anymore though, i got the tx today. Im liking this 775. We just had floods here and the silt is nice and mucky. Kinda hard to get good video with a smartphone while driving though. Will taking the sleeve off of the 775 hurt anything? Not too keen on dremeling the trans case.

RC Enthusiast
    dont take off the sleeve, if that come off the motor loses the torque it has. i have seen people do it to terrible results.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I did some googling and now I see how it works. I'll have to trim it back to maybe 75%-80% of its circumference and slide it back on there. I did notice it was not as strong as a truck I watched with identical setup. I'll get that done and try to get a video of the cornfield bog today.

RC Enthusiast
    that sounds sweet. i dont have many places to do that kind o thing were i am.

RC Qualifier
    Went out and played in the mud! Love this 775, Could go nuts and go brushless but I have other "fast" trucks.This one is simply a basher. Had it buried a couple of times, reversed out but filled the tires with water and had alot of power loss. Ah well... Had fun, got more mud on me than the truck. Oh, and as for videos... Nobody told me I needed a battery for the cam... Here's some phone shots.