RC Competitor

new need engine, dynamite .19 trx replacement or trx3.3??

hey guys,

my 2.5 is dead and I can't make up my mind as to which engine i should purchase.

the Dynamite .19t Traxxas direct fit engine or TRX3.3?

Input?

RC Qualifier
    I opted for a new 2.5r when my old 2.5 after many rebuilds died the last time. It is running really good, can't hardly keep drive shafts in it. Alot of people have done the 3.3, I think it is kinda over kill my self. I have looked at the Dynamite, and considered it a couple of times. I have not heard any bad about it. My opinion I would stick with the 2.5, it is not near as hard on the rest of your drive train.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Competitor
    how's the performance going from 2.5 to 2.5r any noticeable gains?

RC poster
    I don't know about the dynamite .19t but I have a rustler with a 3.3 & that thing is crazy fast. I put the highest gear ratio I could & it pulls wheelies at about 30 to 35mph. I haven't radared it yet but I saw a vid on YouTube where a guy got his up to 72mph. I've been hearing a lot if people switching their 3.3 to a picco .27 on their revos. I saw a guy on YouTube advertising the Buku pipe & he had another smaller motor that was flipping his revo in second gear. Search for Revo Buku pipe there's not many videos with the Buku pipe so it's easy to find. He says what kind of motor it was but I can't remember.

RC poster
    He had the .18tz but he wasn't flipping the revo in second gear. Sorry my mistake. But he was pulling some really hard second gear wheelies. I'm curious why such a smaller motor could be so much faster. It did say his motor was modified.

RC poster
    Ya I went to MIP driveshafts for my rustler as soon as I put the 3.3 on it. I didn't dare drive it on the stock drive shafts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lsbufis View Post
    how's the performance going from 2.5 to 2.5r any noticeable gains?
    I think the 2.5r runs better than my old 2.5 ever did. I had rebuilt the 2.5 many times, so I know it had the newer piston and sleeve. I just like the 2.5 alot, I have many 3.3's, and I still gravitate to the 2.5 models most of the time.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

Either 2.5r or a 3.3 would be ok but the 3.3 would be better for speed runs and the 2.5r would be more manageable. Drive shafts look into VXL SHAFTS much better than nitro.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    I have been running the slash drive shafts, they are a little heavier than the stock rusty ones. I break alot of the yoke at the transmission. I think the vxl shafts are to long, but not a 100% sure on that, I know the arms are longer.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotichamster View Post
    He had the .18tz but he wasn't flipping the revo in second gear. Sorry my mistake. But he was pulling some really hard second gear wheelies. I'm curious why such a smaller motor could be so much faster. It did say his motor was modified.
    The 18TZ is a bump start motor, no starter plate or OWB on the backplate drops a lot of resistance... Pretty much the case with most Bump start motors Vs starter plated motors...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    I have been running the slash drive shafts, they are a little heavier than the stock rusty ones. I break alot of the yoke at the transmission. I think the vxl shafts are to long, but not a 100% sure on that, I know the arms are longer.
    yes the a arms on vxl electric's are longer guess i forgot that part to mention good thing you did though, the shafts are not longer just extend a little longer but work with nitro or electric a arms. the vxl yokes are a little stronger i've heard that i could have used the slash 4x4 yokes and shafts and are stronger than vxl 2wd but never tried them though so cant be sure of that 100%
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Ended up buying the dynamite .19 mach 2 trx directfit engine.. Gotta finish break in but with a new born it's hard to find time