RC Enthusiast

mini summit knuckle upgrade

hello forum,i have a mini summit and i recently started having problems with the knuckles and the pivot ball caps being loose .So my question is does anyone know some good upgrades for the knuckles and pivot ball caps that are sturdy,cheap and quality.

thank you,hope you could help !

RC Qualifier
    I am running the golden horizons on the front. I have no issues with them, they run aroud $18. There are some others, or you can buy a threaded cap for the stock knuckle.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Enthusiast
    Buy the titanium threaded cap. I posted the part number in another thread here, i think 7033x?

RC Enthusiast
    i think im going to try the threaded caps
    does anyone know how they are,performance and durability wise

RC Qualifier
    for the twice the price and we aren't talking huge dollars, you get an aluminum knuckle as well, seems like a better deal.

RC Enthusiast
    i don know,
    how do i take the knuckles and ball caps off ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod15 View Post
    i don know,
    how do i take the knuckles and ball caps off ?
    you talking about the stock ones? very carefully being careful not to break them. I believe people say you use a small screwdriver to pop the caps off. I haven't done it yet, its something I've been researching too.

RC Enthusiast
    oh,yeah it is the stock ones.I have tried different ways but still haven't found a way yet,i hope someone know how to beacause i sure don't

RC Qualifier
    I have a set of GH and they are ok at best - gotta wrap the caps with teflon tape to make em stay in place which to me is a JOKE for a part that is supposed to be an upgrade. Also, the IDs that the inner bearings nest in is sloppy on two of them and barely acceptable on the other two. Next time I'll look elsewhere methinks.

I have also used the Traxxas 7033x (?) screw in cups for stock knuckles (don't think they are titanium) and found that, while they allow you to easily adjust out ball slop, they pop out easily on minor side impacts and get lost - reason is that there are no threads on the ID of the stock carrier - the cups just cut enough thread to keep em in (while sitting on bench). My kid's Ken Block spits em on a regular basis (much to my dismay) Maybe apply ca glue to the threads, screw 'em in, adjust and pray. one shot deal - IDK

Sorry I cant recommend a sure thing but that's been my latest experiences
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod15 View Post
    oh,yeah it is the stock ones.I have tried different ways but still haven't found a way yet,i hope someone know how to beacause i sure don't
    Did you get them out? If not look at the part explosion in the manual you will se thr part they simply push in andthe arms snap out into the slots

RC Racer
    I just bought some hot racing ones. They are amazing. The slop was nearly eliminated. The little slop still there can be fixed from adding metal tie rods and steel hollow balls.

RC Qualifier
    If you use a bit of blue thread lock with 7033x they'll never pop out on their own. I've had mine for 6+ months with zero issues.

RC Qualifier
    But blue thread lock eats plastic, you haven't had a problem with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    If you use a bit of blue thread lock with 7033x they'll never pop out on their own. I've had mine for 6+ months with zero issues.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    But blue thread lock eats plastic, you haven't had a problem with that?
    Nope. Use a little bit with no issues at all.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 05-05-2013 at 03:48 PM.