RC Qualifier

battery wont balance

Came hone from the track tonight and started the process of putting my batteries into storage mode. I got 1 cell that gets to 3.8v like normal and 1 cell thats bouncing between 3.79v and 3.8v. Ive done balanceing mode twice and both times that charger times out before both cells are a solid 3.8v. Is this ok or am i being paranoid? This battery is new and has only been charged 3 times. Thanks for any input.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Storage voltage is not that critical... anywhere between 3.5-3.9 volts is fine for short term storage.

Now, as to what is causing the balance issue... that could be a charger issue or something may be going on with the battery itself.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    the battery is a brand new Traxxas 2s 5000mah and the charger is a Hi Tech X1 i did finally get the one battery to balance without bouncing between 3.79v and 3.8v it took 3 storage cycles. If 3.5v-3.9v is acceptable then i wont worry about it to much. IF it becomes a issue ill call Traxxas about the battery and Hi Tech about the charger. I was just worried about stability cause i wont be using my batteries again till Friday night for club racing. Thx Jimmie N.
    Last edited by NvDesertRat96; 04-18-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Shouldn't be a issue... just make sure they balance out good and solid at full voltage.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I have been there with mine and read a post about the balance lead connector getting dusty dirty and creating problems. i have since been using CRC plastic safe electrical contact cleaner and cleaning the battery and balance connector before balance storing and seems to work well.

May want to throw a good volt meter on the pack. You can tell if the charger is accurately reading the cells correctly. If its not the same reading as volt meter, your charger could be cooking your packs...
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    I have been there with mine and read a post about the balance lead connector getting dusty dirty and creating problems. i have since been using CRC plastic safe electrical contact cleaner and cleaning the battery and balance connector before balance storing and seems to work well.
    I can vouch for the dirty balance plug. Plugged fairly new one in last week, charger went into no charge mode (battery failure), light blinking rapidly (passport charger). I cringed thinking the battery had went south. I unplugged the balance connector and looked at it and it was tarnished, and replugged it a few times and it charged just fine.