RC Competitor

Need a new Lipo for VXL rustler

I bought a 3c 5000mah 11+ volt Lipo for my rustler. Thing ran great but now the voltage is down to 7.4 and it's not running as fast or as long.

So, what's the best battery to buy to get it up to that 70mph speed with out burning out the motor?

The battery I have is not a Traxxas battery but I do not mind buying a Traxxas battery as I have always bought their products in the past.

Recommendations please. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    you should be able to hit 70mph with a 3s battery. Lipo batteries will never use all there voltage. Recharge your lipo properly, balance charge it if you can and put different gears in it. To go fast you need a small pinion and a big spur. You should be able to hit 70+ mph with a 74 tooth spur and a 28t pinion but keep a eye on esc, motor and battery temp.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    To go fast you need a big pinion and a small spur... Desert has that backwards.

If your 3S battery is reading 7.4 volts it is probably way below the threshold of 3v/cell and should not be used!!

SPC makes a great pack!!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Ok, thanks. I left the stock gearing set up in my rustler but was running the 3C 5000 mah 11 volt battery. Thing ran good but like I said, I think the battery is shot.

So what battery should I buy?

By the way, I run it a lot on the beach. If I do change the gears out to get better high end will it suffer torque thus causing more strain on the system while running in the sand (with paddles)?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisistank View Post
    Ok, thanks. I left the stock gearing set up in my rustler but was running the 3C 5000 mah 11 volt battery. Thing ran good but like I said, I think the battery is shot.

By the way, I run it a lot on the beach. If I do change the gears out to get better high end will it suffer torque thus causing more strain on the system while running in the sand (with paddles)?
    Yes, it would strain it heavily. Unless its hard-packed, keep your gearing lower in the sand.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisistank View Post

I also run at the beach with mind an I'm running 3s 5000Mah with 21/86 gears with 2.2 paddle tires . I've to keep a eye on temps , using on board temp gauge , outside temp hv alot to do with motor temps . I've reach over 200f on mind a few times after about 20 min, run . I get about 45 mph+ .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    Well, it seems to have done good in the sand and elements with the Lipo I had and stock gearing. So maybe I'll just buy another Traxxas 3c 5000mah 11 volt again.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    To go fast you need a big pinion and a small spur... Desert has that backwards.
    My bad i did. But i did get the 74/28 right.

FYI SMC got packs in stock(but selling super fast) and now does pre order.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

I figured you knew what you were talking about... we all make mistakes, just didn't want to further confuse future readers.

Check these packs out:
    http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...?productID=113
    http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...?productID=131
    Bummer that they are both out of stock!!

RC Competitor
    Yea, bummer they're out of stock indeed!

So, my charger does not have a balancer...how bad is this?

Dangerous enough that I suggest one of the two following options:
    1) Upgrade
    2) Buy a balancer

RC Competitor
    What exactly does the balancer do?

And which balancer would you recommend. My charger is pretty nice. Don't want to replace it.

A balancer keeps the cells within the pack at the same voltage. If one cell is too high, POP. If one cell is too low, new pack.

I cannot direct you to a balancer... by the time I got into this era's electric pretty much all chargers were balancing chargers.

RC Competitor
    A balancer keeps the cells within the pack at the same voltage. If one cell is too high, POP. If one cell is too low, new pack.

I cannot direct you to a balancer... by the time I got into this era's electric pretty much all chargers were balancing chargers.
    Fair enough...Well then, what charger do you recommend. Keep in mind I fly planes, helicopters, run boats and run cars/trucks.

From what I've seen, you are the authority on this topic. What's your favorite charger? I would prefer a fairly user friendly version.

Oh, and by the way, I just bougth a new 5000mah 3s 11.1v lipo replacement battery off of ebay. I won't be using the bloated lipo that is now charging in the 7v range any longer.
    Last edited by Thisistank; 04-18-2013 at 10:32 PM.

I just re-read what I wrote... sorry if you took it in the wrong tone. lol It is not that I don't want to direct you to a balancer, it is that I have never researched a good one... so instead of giving bad advise I would rather give no advice at all.

I recommend any charger in the iCharger and Revolectrix line. I personally use the iCharger 206B with one of my power supplies. IF I ever want (not need, want) more power I may get a PL8.

I have only needed the iCharger manual once... and once I read what I was looking for I felt like an idiot because it just made sense. lol

RC Competitor
    I just re-read what I wrote... sorry if you took it in the wrong tone. lol It is not that I don't want to direct you to a balancer, it is that I have never researched a good one... so instead of giving bad advise I would rather give no advice at all.

I recommend any charger in the iCharger and Revolectrix line. I personally use the iCharger 206B with one of my power supplies. IF I ever want (not need, want) more power I may get a PL8.

I have only needed the iCharger manual once... and once I read what I was looking for I felt like an idiot because it just made sense. lol
    hahaha...It's all good bro. I got what you were saying.

Ok, I'll check those chargers out. I have a power supply so I'm good there.

Thanks for all the help.

Tank

RC Qualifier
    I got about half way threw reading this thread and my first thought was, "I'll bet he isn't balance charging this battery". I assume the lipo was charged on a Nihm or Nicd charger. a huge No No. Very lucky, a half dead puffed battery is all that happened.
    Puffed batteries can be a sign a cell has vented, remove the battery from the charger immediately and isolate outside in a safe container. Dispose per manufacturers directions.
    Charging on a Nihm or Nicd charger is dangerous, because the charger has no way of monitoring each individual cells charge and may overcharge a single cell, 2S have 2 cells, 3S have 3 cells, 4S have 4. This can cause a runaway chemical reaction in the battery causing a fire.

I mention this, because I'm sure many are like I was at first and had no idea how to deal with a lipo.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldrcguy View Post
    I got about half way threw reading this thread and my first thought was, "I'll bet he isn't balance charging this battery". I assume the lipo was charged on a Nihm or Nicd charger. a huge No No. Very lucky, a half dead puffed battery is all that happened.
    Puffed batteries can be a sign a cell has vented, remove the battery from the charger immediately and isolate outside in a safe container. Dispose per manufacturers directions.
    Charging on a Nihm or Nicd charger is dangerous, because the charger has no way of monitoring each individual cells charge and may overcharge a single cell, 2S have 2 cells, 3S have 3 cells, 4S have 4. This can cause a runaway chemical reaction in the battery causing a fire.

I mention this, because I'm sure many are like I was at first and had no idea how to deal with a lipo.
    I have a Lipo charger, there's just not a balancer on it. You can select NiHm Nicd Lipo etc through the digital display. Select volts, mah etc. just no balancer.

RC poster
    Give a try for Gens ACE 2s 5000mah LiPo batteries. I used it, lasts longer.
    Last edited by RihhanaNZ; 06-05-2013 at 03:00 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I got a 3s 5000mah 11.1v 50c venom lipo, was 110$ with tax. But has a lifetime warranty
    Got my rusty geared at 76/31 and it tops out as 75 mph

RC poster
    That's great. You got 3s 5000mah 50c venom lipo at best price. A week ago.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.