RC poster

Unhappy Another day, another broken drive shaft..

Hello,

Yesterday I broke my outer drive shaft on my Summit VXL, easy fix but it cost me 12.00 for the part. Tonight, I broke my inside drive shaft. Any recommendations on an upgrade to eliminate these issues on my Summit without constantly replacing the plastic ones? I've been reading a lot of the MERV metal shafts, but I understand you need to change a couple of other components from a MERV. What's the easiest upgrade/fix?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    All you should need are the merv stock replacement shafts. Some have changed out the arms, and rockers, I did not have not had any problems running 2 2s lipos.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

I converted my Merv to a Summit. Got GPM Summit rockers and kept the RPM Merv arms and Traxxas CVDs. I had to file the front rockers and cut off a tiny bit of the front arms, but the CVDs work great.
    Since the angle of the rear drive shafts with the Summit arms is a bit larger, the CVDs might pop out more easy.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    I feel your pain. I would HIGHLY suggest working with your slipper clutch. I thought mine was adjusted properly, but I was wrong. I recommend loosening the clutch to the point where the vehicle hesitates to move when given throttle, then tighten from there as necessary. I also have 4 MERV driveshafts and the MERV P2 rockers. Haven't broken a drive shaft in over a week. Good luck!

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=AggieFCO;5483385] I would HIGHLY suggest working with your slipper clutch[QUOTE]

I second that wise suggestion
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC poster
    I ended up putting the MERV 7151x steel drive shafts in with the P2 rockers. So far, so good. I also adjusted the slipper clutch.

RC Champion
    I'm a firm believer of sticking with the plastic axles over the metal ones.
    They are cheaper...and easy to replace.
    Remember that you always have to have a weak point. I'd just as soon have the weak point be something that's easy to replace.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    for the slipper clutch, is there an easy way to adjust it without taking the transmission or motor out? it doesnt look like the wheel wrench is getting on that nut. Do you use an open end wrench?

RC Champion
    I have a socket with a flexible shaft extension for a multi screw driver that works great.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    for the slipper clutch, is there an easy way to adjust it without taking the transmission or motor out? it doesnt look like the wheel wrench is getting on that nut. Do you use an open end wrench?
    Depends on your gearing (which determines how much room you have)
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I used an allen wrench to turn the front portion while holding the nut with a pair of pliers. I had to take the receiver box off though.

RC poster
    It's simple to take the motor, ESC and receiver box off, took me 5 minutes. I recommend taking all these components off to adjust the SC and give your truck a good cleaning.