RC Champion

novak ballistic 13.5 won from ebay.

just won this novak 13.5 that should be coming in tomorrow. i will be goin to my lhs to pick up motor wires and sensor wire to hook up to my vxl3s esc. hopefully i see and feel a difference in performance compared to my velineon motor. what do you think?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Hope it works. Its the orange/black motor can? I had one of the silver/purple novak 13.5's, and could not get it to work with the vxl, but it worked with the mmp. When using a sensored motor with any esc, the 3 power wires must be in the correct order. You cannot switch them around like with a sensorless. The guys at my track and I tried every combo of the 3 main power wires. The vxl was a nogo with every combo of those wires(a,b,c). The mmp took about 4 or 5 tries, before we figured out the right one to make it work. Hope it works for you...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    ya its not working. i will start another thread about the issue.

Why start a new thread? Just post it here...

RC Champion
    i started a new thread cause some people might not know just by looking at the title that i have an issue and may not be bothered lookin at this one. ill post it here also. here is what i got in the new post.
    ok so i get everything hooked up right and when i got the tires off the ground it seems to be good but when i set it down it will move ok but once i get half throttle or more it bogs bad and starts cogging real bad. seems like it will only get up to speed if i gradually get on the throttle. is it the esc or motor? i think maybe the esc cause rag6 had mentioned that in another post and the guy at one of my lhs's said it was the esc. i was unsure cause everything works fine with the velineon in there. any input is appreciated.

Sounds like the motor is either sensored or a 4-pole, or both. The velineon esc wont run either very well. There are no fixes for it other than an mmp or Novak esc something similar.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Its the esc...

Yor thread is not on my board... Could you post a link??? There are tons of threads I dont see until they are a couple of days old???

Someone yesterday posted a link to another thread that was 2 days old. It was not there, then I clicked his link, and it showed up instantly? I missed 2 days of that thread...
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

RC Champion
    it was removed cause of it being the same as this i guess. i kinda hope it is because the motor is not compatible with my esc so i dont have to send it back.

Hard to say which it is, but there are two things I've experienced that directly relate to your issue. First is that Novak motors tend to not cooperate with other brand esc's for whatever reason. I have used Novak motors with the MMP esc, but IMO the MMP is doesn't work very well with any sensored motor. It runs them, yes, but pretty much every other esc I've owned runs a lot smoother than the MMP.

Second thing is that I finally tried running a sensored motor on the VXL-3s esc last weekend. A friend of mine has an HPI Blitz with the Traxxas esc. I just picked up a Tekin Redline 8.5 for him and installed it in his truck. I ran around the track for 5 minutes or so with it and was actually impressed! It runs the Tekin motor much better than my MMP does. Sure it doesn't have all the tuning options, but I immediately noticed that it was much smoother during take-off than the MMP running the same motor. I'm actually considering sending a couple of my old toasty VXL esc's in for replacement and running sensored motors on them.

From what I've experienced, I would say the motor is the issue. Not that anything is wrong with it. Just seems that Novak motors like to be run by Novak esc's.

What kind of sensor wire did you get? There are some cheapo cables out there that can give you poor performance. I always buy a good quality sensor cable for all my setups. Had issues in the past and it's just worth spending the extra cash on a good cable.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Hard to say which it is, but there are two things I've experienced that directly relate to your issue. First is that Novak motors tend to not cooperate with other brand esc's for whatever reason. I have used Novak motors with the MMP esc, but IMO the MMP is doesn't work very well with any sensored motor. It runs them, yes, but pretty much every other esc I've owned runs a lot smoother than the MMP.

Second thing is that I finally tried running a sensored motor on the VXL-3s esc last weekend. A friend of mine has an HPI Blitz with the Traxxas esc. I just picked up a Tekin Redline 8.5 for him and installed it in his truck. I ran around the track for 5 minutes or so with it and was actually impressed! It runs the Tekin motor much better than my MMP does. Sure it doesn't have all the tuning options, but I immediately noticed that it was much smoother during take-off than the MMP running the same motor. I'm actually considering sending a couple of my old toasty VXL esc's in for replacement and running sensored motors on them.

From what I've experienced, I would say the motor is the issue. Not that anything is wrong with it. Just seems that Novak motors like to be run by Novak esc's.

What kind of sensor wire did you get? There are some cheapo cables out there that can give you poor performance. I always buy a good quality sensor cable for all my setups. Had issues in the past and it's just worth spending the extra cash on a good cable.
    I wouldnt say the MMP doesnt run sensored motors very well. I run a tekin 17.5, novak 13.5, and novak HV 5.5 on mine and its flawless. from the novak speed controls ive run it's better by far. Some older versions of the firmware have problems with sensored motors, which may be why you have problems.

I currently have a novak 13.5 hooked up to a vxl in my drift car. it runs really good. no cogging, and is very smooth. my vxl is about 3 years old though. so im sure there is a firmware difference. but still, im happy with how it runs for what i do with it.

did you make sure the sensor port was clean when you plugged it in? if one wire isnt making contact you will have problems

also, a 13.5 is a less powerful motor than the vxl. it's a lower kv, it uses a smaller diameter magnet, and the magnet is shorter. so it will never be as fast or as powerful as a vxl.

RC Champion
    it does the cogging with or without the sensor cable

Quote Originally Posted by WJ Jeep Guy View Post
    I wouldnt say the MMP doesnt run sensored motors very well. I run a tekin 17.5, novak 13.5, and novak HV 5.5 on mine and its flawless. from the novak speed controls ive run it's better by far. Some older versions of the firmware have problems with sensored motors, which may be why you have problems.

I currently have a novak 13.5 hooked up to a vxl in my drift car. it runs really good. no cogging, and is very smooth. my vxl is about 3 years old though. so im sure there is a firmware difference. but still, im happy with how it runs for what i do with it.

did you make sure the sensor port was clean when you plugged it in? if one wire isnt making contact you will have problems

also, a 13.5 is a less powerful motor than the vxl. it's a lower kv, it uses a smaller diameter magnet, and the magnet is shorter. so it will never be as fast or as powerful as a vxl.
    On mine, everything is clean and quality sensor cable is always used. Matter of fact, it has run exactly the same way since day one. It's not just the Novak motor, but every sensored motor I've used. The MMP just isn't anywhere near as smooth, or should I say linear as any of my other esc's. Even the VXL feels smoother. The MMP is still a very nice esc that is very versatile and dependable (probably the most versatile and dependable esc I have). But for racing, it is never my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    it does the cogging with or without the sensor cable
    That's definitely not right. When running a sensored motor, if the plug comes loose or detached, it's an obvious change in performance. Usually to the point where it won't run (at least in the case with an esc that doesn't run dual mode like the VXL). Maybe try a different sensor cable before going any further. Sounds like something is not making contact.

Was this a new motor that you purchased?

cant tell. i can get the plug in there but it fits either way.
    Just read this on your other thread and sounds like it could very well be your problem. I just installed a sensor cable on the VXL-3s and it would only go in one way. The cable has offset tabs on both sides of the plug and the esc and motor ports have offset cut outs so they can only go in one way. If yours is going in either way, you may be missing the contacts altogether. If you haven't done so already, remove the esc from it's mounting location and check the sensor cable connection.

RC Champion
    well when looking at the front of the esc where the aux port is does the red wire on the sensor wire go to the right or left?

well when looking at the front of the esc where the aux port is does the red wire on the sensor wire go to the right or left?
    The cables we use are not color-coded. All the wires are black. I do have one sensor cable with colored wires, but that's one of the cables that gave me issues. The whole sensor cable feels really stiff and skinny compared to the ones I use now. When I get a chance, I'll compare the wire/plug configuration with the colored one and see where the red wire would be.

RC Champion
    just figured out which way it goes but if your saying most of the sensor wires you use are all black except for the colored one that gave you issues then maybe that is where my issue is. i just didnt think it was cause i figured that if it is the same with or without the cable then it wasnt that. im selling my vxlesc and velineon motor tomorrow and pickin up a novak gtb2 esc and another sensor wire. figured i need that anyways but if that doesnt fix anything then it leaves the timing/sensor assembly on the motor itself. and thats only like 16 bucks.

Not saying the cable is definitely the issue, but it's one piece of the equation that's very easy to rule-out simply by trying another cable. I had a similar cable on one of my trucks and had some strange issues. It would run perfect for about five minutes or so. Then it would start cogging really bad and even the steering servo started twitching. Sometimes it got so bad that the truck wouldn't even move, just sit there and twitch. I would pick the truck up and push on the cable plugs at the esc and motor, thinking that it had come loose. After that, it would start running fine again. Sometimes for a few seconds, a few minutes, or the rest of the run.

I installed the same motor and esc in a different truck, which required a longer sensor cable. Since then it hasn't missed a beat. Granted, I was using a different radio in the other truck, but the Spektrum that I originally was using is still working perfect with a different motor/esc, so I kinda have to lean towards the sensor cable since that's the only other thing that was changed during the swap.

Did you purchase the motor new?
    Last edited by harry697; 04-20-2013 at 09:30 AM.

My MMP's never ran sensored motors. In fact the one I smoked was running a sensored motor when it burned up.

I've found they do very well sensorless, but not sensored. And yes I update the firmware often.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    i played with the novak motor and got it to work. i think i just advanced the motor timing. the sensor port was lined up with the middle solder tab which i think is zero degrees timing. i played with it and got it at 30 degrees which i think is advanced right? according to the notch and the label on the endbell its sitting at 30 degrees. that is the lowest i could go and have zero cogging. seems to run good. i will update once i get a pack through this motor. i heard of a few people getting rid of cogging by advancing timing on the motor a bit but is it actually ok? is it the motor or esc that causes this?