RC Racer

how is the new RUSTLER

hello all im really looking forward to getting the newest Rustler its going to be including a lipo insted of the nickle battery. anyone here have one that can tell me what is good about the car? i know the handling is awsome. also what to look out for. i have had a cople of older rusties and i have been thinking of just finding a roller and building it but cant seem to find one. anyway any advice would be great. also how does it handle with the stampede tires? to me it looks AWSOME with the tires on.

RC Champion
    The lipo battery is the only difference. Otherwise it hasn't changed. It's still a great truck though.

It does look good with the stampede tires, but they don't grip well at all. If you want large tires, get 2.8" trenchers or badlands. I prefer the badlands, as the trenchers are just too large and heavy for the truck and its servo.

Some people recommend proline gladiators too.

RC Racer
    ok well the other reason i was wanting a little bit bigger of a tire is that maybe it will help me and the truck to not break. you can get stronger servos right?

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Larger tires put more stress on the truck and make it more likely to break. My personal favorite setup is stock front tires and Gladiators on the rear.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

Sure you can get stronger servos. Maybe you should get a Stampede instead. That's a fantastic truck.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot42 View Post
    ok well the other reason i was wanting a little bit bigger of a tire is that maybe it will help me and the truck to not break. you can get stronger servos right?
    Yep, larger tires will cause more stress/breakage. Stick to smaller ones. I have tons of short course tires, so I usually just end up running those on my rusty.

If you want something that won't break as much out of the box, then consider a slash or slash 4x4. The wheels are protected by the big body, which helps a lot with avoiding breakage.

RC Champion
    My rusty has been using stock Vxl servo and trenchers for over a year now. Only thing that has stressed was the front axle bent 2 now but that's from serious bashing. Get those tires and enjoy going almost anywhere. Now they are not super handling or race responsive but for bashing there isn't much better.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Champion
    if rpm makes a replacement part then get rpm. except for maybe the castor blocks. those are good in aluminum. strc hinge pins are a good upgrade. strc bulkhead is also a good one. with all of this you should be able to put what ever wheel and tire you want on your rusty and should be good.

RC Racer
    thanks guys i will be getting the aluminum upgrade for the casters and bearing hubs and putting them on before i even start it up. for some reason the slightest bump will break them. i will also be getting the RPM Motor Protector and wheely bar. when i had my bandit the motor ended up getting smashed into a mail box. ANY other good upgrades?

RC Champion
    You might be getting an Alum Tranny box with running lipo and what not so just a heads up for that. The wheelie bar gets mixed reviews on here. I have one and like it but it's not practical for bashing only for light off road and street IMO.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Champion
    the traxxas wheelie bar works great when its mounted to the rpm mount and you can still install an rpm motor protector for added protection. add an rpm front bumper also. you dont need an aluminum tranny case really. im still using stock castors and rpm front carriers and rear stock vxl carriers.

RC Racer
    i might not get the wheely bar i want to get into racing. i will have to get multiple tires as well. have anyone used the sand paw tires? i have used them on my bandit and they were sweet, but not alot of steering capability.

RC Racer
    i dont think you can race the stampede. if you can i might consider it. from what i have heard not alot of tracks race the ped

I didn't know you were looking for a racing platform... no the Pede wouldn't work because it has a high center of gravity, but moat tracks have an open class that would allow it.

The Slash is a popular race vehicle so you might want to consider one.
    Last edited by O.G.; 04-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    slash is good but would prefer 4x4. rustler can be raced in a few different classes. you will probably need a hardcase lipo cause most tracks like all the ones around my area only allow the use of hardcase lipos.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    the traxxas wheelie bar works great when its mounted to the rpm mount and you can still install an rpm motor protector for added protection. add an rpm front bumper also. you dont need an aluminum tranny case really. im still using stock castors and rpm front carriers and rear stock vxl carriers.
    Don't need an alum tranny with lipo and brushless ? Really ? Well I guess if you live somewhere where the ambient temp is always below 70f then sure. Or unless this is ONLY for racing running 2s lipo on something like a 17/86 or 19/86 gearing. But even then monitor your temps. . I wasn't saying it was a MUST HAVE ! but usually when you go lipo and brushless and you wanna bash or stick with stock gearing you will get hot. Both the esc and the Motor.

Rusty with the STRC LCG kit is your best bet for competitive racing on that platform. Again IMO.
    Last edited by AZ Racer X; 04-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*