Thread: Next purchase

RC Racer

Next purchase

So I have a fully modded traxxas slash as my first car and wondering what's a good level 2 or 3 car/truck? Can be nitro or electric?
    Last edited by razorback fan; 04-16-2013 at 09:22 PM.

RC Champion
    Definitely get nitro. Its the only way to experience the truly awesomeness of the hobby.
    I would try a jato 3.3, nitro slash, or revo 3.3.
    IMHO nitro is WAY more fun
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    If your ok with getting a nitro then I would say get a jato cause you could set up for speed or offroad...unless you are looking for more of a monster truck
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

IMO, I would get a Summit. Nitro is fun, but it's really loud, (not always a bad thing) and they can be SUCH A PAIN to get running. With electric, it's not as cool, but about 90% of the time electric is better. Anyway, the Summit can go anywhere, night or day, rain or shine. It's amazing how easy it is to just spend hours in a 10x10 area of rocks and logs. Its just a great truck, and it's perfect out of the box for most people. Just my .02 cents.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    IMO, I would get a Summit. Nitro is fun, but it's really loud, (not always a bad thing) and they can be SUCH A PAIN to get running. With electric, it's not as cool, but about 90% of the time electric is better. Anyway, the Summit can go anywhere, night or day, rain or shine. It's amazing how easy it is to just spend hours in a 10x10 area of rocks and logs. Its just a great truck, and it's perfect out of the box for most people. Just my .02 cents.
    Not really. I have never had trouble getting any nitro engine started. If you can't get it up and running 5 min or less theres something wrong with it. Nitro can go rain or shine, night and day also.
    And, you can get exhaust pipes that greatly reduce the noise. I have found nitro to be way more reliable than electric.

Nitro more reliable than electric? Never had a problem starting a nitro?

Sorry I just find both those statements hard to believe.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Nitro more reliable than electric? Never had a problem starting a nitro?

Sorry I just find both those statements hard to believe.
    Well, I'm not lying. I have had many more problems with my electric cars and trucks than I have with my nitros.
    And the reason for this is mostly because of the batteries
    If you din't have to use batteries I would say electric is better.
    Me and my bashing bud have bashed nitro and electric cars (Mostly traxxas)
    and we always seem to have more fun with the nitros. Seems with the electrics all we are ver doing is charging the batteries

Ok guys, lets not make this thread about nitro vs electric. Both have pros/cons, it just depends on what you want. Back to the topic...

Batteries are not hard to take care of especially if you buy a reasonable quality battery/s and charger.

Let's not forget the nitro cars need batteries too to power the radio system

To each there own but having experienced both flavors myself I just cant agree and think you will find few who will,,,even nitro fans usually admit electrics are much more reliable and easy to run and maintain.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Batteries are not hard to take care of especially if you buy a reasonable quality battery/s and charger.

Let's not forget the nitro cars need batteries too to power the radio system

To each there own but having experienced both flavors myself I just cant agree and think you will find few who will,,,even nitro fans usually admit electrics are much more reliable and easy to run and maintain.
    Okay well I can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by razorback fan View Post
    So I have a fully modded traxxas slash as my first car and wondering what's a good level 2 or 3 car/truck? Can be nitro or electric?
    Since you already have an electric it's going to be easier and cheaper for you to stay on that platform. Going nitro mean you need to learn to tune, it's not all plug and play...

But if you like mechanics and working with your hands, not afraid to go through the tuning learning curve, Nitro's are a blast...

And I'm going to disagree with anyone saying Nitro's are less reliable than electrics. They may take a while to understand tuning, and transmissions as well as brakes, but they are VERY reliable when tuned and maintained properly... Oh and maintenance is basically cleaning, putting a couple drops of oil into the motor for storage... Tough maintenance...

I've 4 Nitro RC's They aren't hard to start IF you know how to tune.....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Since you already have an electric it's going to be easier and cheaper for you to stay on that platform. Going nitro mean you need to learn to tune, it's not all plug and play...

But if you like mechanics and working with your hands, not afraid to go through the tuning learning curve, Nitro's are a blast...

And I'm going to disagree with anyone saying Nitro's are less reliable than electrics. They may take a while to understand tuning, and transmissions as well as brakes, but they are VERY reliable when tuned and maintained properly... Oh and maintenance is basically cleaning, putting a couple drops of oil into the motor for storage... Tough maintenance...

I've 4 Nitro RC's They aren't hard to start IF you know how to tune.....
    Thank you. Thats what I was trying to say

Dont get me wrong I relaly enjoy nitro, anytime my son runs his you can count on me being there and taking the remote from him for my turn at the trigger.There is a certain magic about the smell and sound that electric cars just dont have and never will.

That being said I guess we will just have to disagree on the reliability factor. Not saying they are bad but just the amount of moving parts and things that can go wrong like stretched connecting rods, cracked blocks, failed glow plugs, all of which I have seen first hand not to mention how a simple change in the weather can send you back to square one for tuning make an electirc much more dependable in my eyes.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    My neighbor has a t-maxx and a revo. Every time we'd go bashing together, my batteries would be dead before he could get either truck started. And I was running a couple 5000mAh packs!
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    I've had a lot more electric RCs than nitro RCs and while the nitro were definitely cool I gotta say I've probably had my last since li-po batteries and brushless motors have forever changed electric RCs. My nitros were reliable but where I live the weather constantly changes and I found I spent more time tuning it than running it. I love to wrench on my trucks but when it's time to play I just want to relax and play.

I think the between that and the price of fuel and the mess compared to electric I just don't see me having another nitro. I'm actually very surprised nitro is as popular as it is still. Some people enjoy it and that's fine with me. To each his own

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree that if your setup for electric it will be more cost effective to stay electric. Keep in mind, a nitro STILL needs a battery to run the ezstart (6cell nimh... you probably dont have one of those)... and you need to get the fuel. If you have a slash, maybe look at something like a summit or ERBE... even a rally with a few mods can be quite a handful and I would consider to be level 2.

Traxxas "level" ratings are hard to understand IMO. They dont seem to have any real level 2 or 3 vehicles... They seem to jump from level one to level 4 pretty quick. But something that handles better and/or has some more offroad capabilities may be fun. Forget about the "levels" and buy vehicles that have capabilities you can actually USE.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    I'm thinking you'd most likely want 4wd electric 1/10. So here are your options:
    E-Maxx
    E-Revo
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4 VXL
    Summit

Personally I'd go E-Revo or Summit
    If you want more cost effective I'd go with the P4de. You should be able to use your slashes batteries, and even sell the ones that come with it if you already have enough.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Champion
    Not sure if what terrain your runnin on but monster trucks are a blast!
    Maybe check out a nitro stampede

RC Qualifier
    A flat 7 cell stick pack won't fit inside a p4de.
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Nvm then. E-Revo or Summit.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Racer
    ill say this i have nitro revo and brush less revo and like mentioned above nothing can compare to the smell/sound of nitro i love it.. it may not be as fast as my brush less trucks but i still seem to have more fun with the nitro when im bashing around and the shifting like a real car is kinda nice to just gives you a little more of that real feeling to me i guess but it is nice to just plug and play with my electric i live in WI and the weather here is a guessing game so i cant always bust the nitro out with out having to re tune day after day ... but to answer the what truck to get IMHO id go with a revo nitro or brush less there fun all around street or off road tune to how/where your driving

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I agree that if your setup for electric it will be more cost effective to stay electric. Keep in mind, a nitro STILL needs a battery to run the ezstart (6cell nimh... you probably dont have one of those)... and you need to get the fuel. If you have a slash, maybe look at something like a summit or ERBE... even a rally with a few mods can be quite a handful and I would consider to be level 2.

Traxxas "level" ratings are hard to understand IMO. They dont seem to have any real level 2 or 3 vehicles... They seem to jump from level one to level 4 pretty quick. But something that handles better and/or has some more offroad capabilities may be fun. Forget about the "levels" and buy vehicles that have capabilities you can actually USE.
    You do not need a pack for the ez start...because you don't have to use the ez start. You can use a pull start.
    Then you'd have only te reciever pack and glow ignitor, which you rarely have to recharge. You can go months without charging a glow ignitor. Same with a rx pack dependig on how much you use it

When I was into nitro I always charged my RX and glow ignitor. They would both, without fail, be dead every time I needed them if I didnt. Im not saying that a gurantee, im just saying I was super picky about that just in case.

But im just going to throw this out there. You CAN run a pull start on your Traxxas vehicle. But thats not how they come. There are alot of things you can do to alot of these vehicles to make them better. But adding a pull start to a nitro doesnt negate the fact that a nitro still needs batteries and you then need to buy a glow heater...

Im not saying nitro is bad. Im just saying that if a guy is already setup for electric, going nitro adds alot of unnecessary expense and complication. If he had a nitro already, it would make more sense. I love nitro for all the reason already stated here... noise, smoke and smell, cool factor etc. But Ill never own one again. I only ever owned one (of about 30) nitro that stayed in tune almost all the time. The rest required fiddling every run. I knew what I was doing so it wasnt a huge hassle but I remember how long it took to LEARN all that and it was frustrating process.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Well, I see your point but tuning is fun if you're a gearhead

True. I'm a huge gearhead myself, so naturally I love nitro. But it doesn't mean nitro is easy to understand. IMO, you need hands on experience with working with nitros, reading about it can't do it justice for how hand it really can be. Just my .02 cents.

Forget nitro. I'd recommend your next vehicle to be the Rally. Fast, fun starts every time... 4wd.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

^^ couldnt have said it better myself. The rally is so similar to other traxxas vehicles in so many way, yet is so different when you actually use it. I didnt think mine would, but it has become one of my favourite RC cars of all time.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    So I have narrowed down to this jato 3.3 nitro pede funny car slash 4-4 I'm looking for speed

RC Racer
    well if u want speed out of a nitro buy a roller of what ever truck it is u decide to get and buy a big block to stick in it

RC Champion
    Definitely get the Jato
    For sure you will love nitro and end up selling you electric

RC Competitor
    A Tmaxx classic.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCROCKS75 View Post
    A Tmaxx classic.
    Why?? It'd be better to get the 3.3

RC Qualifier
    I love opinions, even when you agree you can disagree. Personally I don't care how fast,easy or reliable electric is. I love my Jato. There's nothing like running A real motor. I always hear how fast electric's are, but when I go to the track I'm always the fastest one there with my 3.3. I usually get asked by somebody, what did you do to that thing to make it so fast. I say, it's just A stock Jato and they always think I'm lying and wont talk to me anymore.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I've never owned a nitro, but I do own a couple handfuls of Electric RC's and I love them. After you learn the dynamics of keeping the electrics in check you are good to go. Nothing more to worry about other than maintenance you'd have to on a nitro one.

How can you argue with a Lipo pack that can keep you powered up for 30+ minutes or more depending on how deep your pockets are. LOL I just picked up a couple of SPC 6500 60c 4S Lipo that can keep me entertained for more time than I can think of. That's only running them to storage mode. If I ran them any lower i'd probably be bored. YEAH RIGHT!!! haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Get a revo 3.3. You won't regret it.
    freeks come out at nite...

RC Champion
    Slash 4x4 all the way. Most durable vehicle Ive ever owned and incredible performance.
    Land of the free?