Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    The optical illusion of the no motor out back thing, and no bumpers mounted, combined with the generous space within this blocky double deck design is fooling your eyes. It will match up with an sct, or 1/8 oval body.

After sleeping on it, I cannot justify buying this to come to Ohio for a day, and maybe 2 more races in a year at my track.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

i thought you already had one with that setup?

maybe im wrong........ not sure.

but anyway...... i brought the front of my body down a little more.

and i installed my new servo as well

there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

It was sold when I stopped racing last year. I wish I still had it... Especially with the hours of modification I put in.

ahhh, i didnt know you quit racing lol
    Drag It!

i brought the front of my body down a little more.
    That's how I hope mine sits tomorrow when I install the trans and motor.
    Looks nice.
    Happy winning I hope.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

well i got the proline performance steering setup and installed it on my slash last night for racing today. my servo saver was very annoying and started coming apart due to the mod i had to do in order for it to fit laying down on my pro 2 chassis. so now i have the better steering. lets just say it was late and i didnt think it over all the way on this next part. the link from the servo horn to the bell crank was stock length, well when racing today my car didnt want to turn left. long story short it made me finish third in my heat and almost last, then made me finish second to last in the main event out of 7 of us. ive never had anything but first and second place since i started racing.............. well needless to say banditTransit's cousin showed up and when i was messing with it after the race he came up with shortening that link. what was happening was when turning left the servo horn was already laid over a good bit due to length so it was hitting the chassis so i couldnt turn left all the way. after shortening the link it handled amazing again................... so................. it cost me a race, but hey atleast its good for next time now!
    Drag It!

not a slash, but still awesome!
    Drag It!

heres some on board camera action from practice laps at last weekends race!

edit: the still clip of my truck being chased = winning
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I think the music adds to the footage, the part where you come in is pure filming epicness. Your clips are next!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

yay.................. the first video taken from my truck.......... thanks Riley

Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    You're welcome man, I think the chase scenes are really nice. Keep up the good R/Cing!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

will do, so....................... when is the last video going to be done? lol and who's bringing cameras to film this weekends race? with our guests from another state and all
    Drag It!

I have my cam and a tripod. I got 15 min of film from my mem card. If anyone has mem cards, I would be happy to film after mine is full.

RC Qualifier
    I can certianly bring my camera! Hopefully I can make it down for a little bit, I'm starting to hear I have a picnic to go to for Memorial Day... Let's keep our fingers crossed! That last video should be done today after school, I have plenty of time.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

lets talk gearing. now when i get my castle setup (sct race pro) which is a 3800kv 4 pole motor what gearing should i start with? its my understanding that the 4 poles have more torque so should i just try the same gearing im running right now? im running 86/23 aka stock gearing and im hanging right with everyone else for the most part. i mean a hair more top speed would be nice but wouldnt the cc setup on identical gearing as my velineon have a little more torque and top end? also im running 48P gears not 32........... should i keep the 48P or should i drop down to 32? ive litterly never stripped anything on my 48P gears with any of my setups. and keeping 48 allows me to use what i have for spur options of 86, 90, and 76. but all my pinions are sized for stock motor shaft and this one is a 5mm shaft from castle. so i have to buy new pinions to match. and bandittransit informed me that they now have a 83t spur from traxxas so i might pick one of those up as well. he switched from same gearing as me to the 83/23 gearing and it have him that hair more speed that i would like.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I think they've been around for awhile, but don't quote me on it. It does give me a bit more speed, but it isn't a world of difference. With my 30c LiPo it makes it feel like it's running 19/86, but faster.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

so the owner of the track (nate) has an ofna something 4x4 sct. he has the 3800 castle motor in it that i plan on running in mine with a dynamite 60A esc. i believe is exacts words were along the lines of............... this motor is stupid fast! so that being said i cant wait to get mine mine being the full sct race pro combo though of course......... still looking for an answer on gearing options as far as size and pitch. so all opinions welcome please.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Kenny, you have no idea how crazy that motor is. Let's just say he ran a 5 second lap around the BIG oval. Nuff' said.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

yeah................ i cant wait
    Drag It!

If your 48p gears are lasting, stick with them. They give you more fine tuning options compared to 32p.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    If your 48p gears are lasting, stick with them. They give you more fine tuning options compared to 32p.
    they last on the velineon system, i just didnt know how they would hold up to the castle system. probly just start with stock gearing then and pick up a 23t pinion. maybe a 22t and a 24t as well for some selection.
    Drag It!

The vxl is no slouch for a 2 pole motor. I did run a whole season on 48p at my carpet track with no issues with the 48p gears. The stock bowl shaped spurs were not used. I used the strc shaft/associated slipper setup though.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The vxl is no slouch for a 2 pole motor. I did run a whole season on 48p at my carpet track with no issues with the 48p gears. The stock bowl shaped spurs were not used. I used the strc shaft/associated slipper setup though.
    ive heard others say the same thing......... and seen it first hand as well. the fastest truck at the track cant even keep up with me on the strait aways. but i have to slow down so much and do it myself due to no drag brake (esc).

whats supposed to be so special about that one compared to traxxas slipper anyway? ive never had a problem with mine. i litterly always just run 1/4 turn from seated.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    ive heard others say the same thing......... and seen it first hand as well. the fastest truck at the track cant even keep up with me on the strait aways. but i have to slow down so much and do it myself due to no drag brake (esc).

whats supposed to be so special about that one compared to traxxas slipper anyway? ive never had a problem with mine. i litterly always just run 1/4 turn from seated.
    I will call you.

The vxl is no slouch for a 2 pole motor.
    I will never underestimate a 2 pole,or be scared to by one.
    One of my favorite motors is my gen 2 tekin sensored 10.5 turn and its a two pole.
    It eats my castle 3800's on the track.
    When I can run it.
    It is a 4550kv,a bit over the 4000kv limit,but I don't gear it as high as the 3800.
    The four poles have a bit more torque but there's more to a motor than that.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

My keyboard was messed up. Haven't been able to post very much. Just got fixed for now, so I dont have to call lol.

The associated spurs open up many more options. You get disk shaped spurs that dont bend, and can run 48 or 32p associated gears with the gear cover.

The threads for the slipper nut are about 4x as fine as the stock threads. 1/4 turn on the stock slipper nut = about a full turn on the associated nut. It makes it much easier to find a sweet spot for tuning the clutch.

Sounds like you dont have a problem with either of those situations, but if you can check out someones sc10, you will see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I will never underestimate a 2 pole,or be scared to by one.
    One of my favorite motors is my gen 2 tekin sensored 10.5 turn and its a two pole.
    It eats my castle 3800's on the track.
    When I can run it.
    It is a 4550kv,a bit over the 4000kv limit,but I don't gear it as high as the 3800.
    The four poles have a bit more torque but there's more to a motor than that.
    Yeah, when it comes to torque and 2wd in a racing situation, sometimes less is more...

The lower temps is why I like to go with the 4 poles as a first option though.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-01-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: merge

Hey Ken, I mounted up a set of m4 snipers with the trimmed traxxas foams you were talking about. The tire feels much more soft and pliable with the traxxas foams. Hopefully the sniper tread is deep enough for the track. I also have some "secret ghetto weapon" ft tires to try... mwahahaha!

I scrubbed my hands 3 times and still cannot get the smell of the m4 compound off my hands...

secret ghetto weapon.......... well i cant wait to see the secret and the ghetto part of it lol.

in good news today was our pay race, i took home the first place sc trophy along with a $30 pay out. then after wards we were just running the batteries down and such and the one kid had his stampede out there. well aparently he was metal and i was the magnet or something. but we conected hard then i watched one of my tires roll away............. went and picked it up to find that the nut had not backed off or anything like that, but.............................

wait for it............

wait for it..............

I some how managed to snap the stub axle clean in half, and i shattered part of the rim itself right by the inside bead seat..............................

so

have no fear.......................

i just ordered up some grade 5 full titanium stub axles
    i just hope there here before next week on sunday

and as for the rim itself, i want to go to protrac suspension soon anyway so im just going to glue it back together and rock it until then lol
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 06-02-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Drag It!

Got a link for the titanium stubs? Ft or rear?

They are only secret because I am too embarrassed to show them lol. Here is a hint... 4 bald trx s1 tires from my old platinum, 2 were "sacrificed" to make some tread for the other 2. The tread pattern is a blade>"III". They look bad, but could work. Just bringing them as an option..

CONGRATS ON THE CASH!!! You are now a professional rc racer!
    Last edited by rag6; 06-02-2013 at 08:56 PM.

HAHA! My daughter just called me and asked how to get the rubber smell off her hands(she was helping on tire day lol). I have some lemon juice at home to try. When I was working in pizza, the only thing that got the smell of anchovies off was lemon juice...

haha, nice rag! and thanks, it was nice to get a trophy as well as cash, the cash went right to another racer for the bandit roller though lol.

as for a link............... cant say i do, just searched on ebay for the traxxas part number and seen them. apears i may have bought the only pair up for sale at the moment though lol.

but just search on ebay every once in a while i typed in

traxxas 3637

and found them, the sellers name was rcpartsplus. they have over 2k in sold items and 100% feedback.
    Drag It!

Quick same seller i got mine from on eBay has the titanium axle stubs for sale again. It says he has 3 left. And mine are litterally already in the mail. Stupid fast shipping!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I just looked up those titanium front axles.... A bit pricy @ $21.95 a pair plus freight.....

Have you ever tried using a gyro for the steering servo on that oval track?

I use one on my 2wd Slash's for our off road track and it does wonders for control going in and coming out of the turns.

Not good on a real tight track as it will limit the turning radius....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    I just looked up those titanium front axles.... A bit pricy @ $21.95 a pair plus freight.....

Have you ever tried using a gyro for the steering servo on that oval track?

I use one on my 2wd Slash's for our off road track and it does wonders for control going in and coming out of the turns.

Not good on a real tight track as it will limit the turning radius....

my thought was that being im running a slash its one of the heaviest rigs on the track, if i can lighten her up some i will have an even better power to weight ratio. and being 10 times stronger than stock means i should never have a durability issue, and there still lighter than stock ones

besides i stopped counting how much i have in my slash along time ago............. im scared to add it all up honestly lol. so hey...... whats another $22.50 shipped? lol

and not going to lye, i have no clue what your talking about with the gyro, so no i havent tried it yet lol
    Drag It!

Man this is one cool thread

Really cool stuff here

With that 3800 I would gear it 25/83 or so
    I used to have mine at 23/86
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

yeah i have to play with the gearing to find out whats good. im going to start by picking up few options. one around exact gearing i have now at the track. but being its 4 pole and has more torque, the other will be of a higher ratio for more top end.

heres a pic that was snapped out of the video footage from racing last weekend i do believe. i was mad as could be at my trucks handling and i said screw it and ran full throttle right into turn 1 at end of race, had zero care that moment if the car broke or not, glad it didnt now lol. but got me pic of the week from the track lol

and here we have a pic from yesterday of the starting line up for the main event of our 2wd short course. our first pay race of the season with cash pay out for top 3 along with trophies.

and heres my car after with her well deserved trophy, i think someone got video so ill post that up as soon as its located lol

the car on the left with white wheels is the thunder tiger car im currently borrowing to race the open wheel brushed class with. cant wait for my creation to be finished lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    You are totally correct as to what's another $22.50 or so, like you, if I was keeping track of what I spend on these bundles of joy, I might go into cardiac arrest LOL.

I'll just be brief on the gyro...It's the same concept as a head gyro on a helicopter, helps it stabilize forward direction. The gyro corrects to straight so much faster than you physically can turn the steering wheel. You get almost perfect straight starts and stops straight as well.

When I first used it at our track here at the house (I didn't tell anyone I had installed it) everyone said it's not fair, you get to practice all the time. After 10 for 10 on the hole shots..... they wanted me to start 10' behind the pack.... I didn't tell them what I did for 3 weeks....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

hmmmm, so is it just something you mount on your car or what? i guess im a little confused on how it works............ does it plug into the servo, replaced the servo? looking for some more info here lol.

i mean the thread is labeled round e round setups, if you dont mind, then share your setup, because im very intriqued now lol
    Drag It!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xxXM-BJPk4
    ^watch the vid. Very good explanation. this "system" is just a gyro

I have an esky gyro. I got it for $15 or something... Dont worry, I wont run it at your track...

hmmmmmmmm very inresting............... i want to run one kind of but i think thats cheating at the same time. i sure wouldnt mind trying one out though for the fun of it, just to see how well it works on the dirt.
    Drag It!