Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    It would def be cheating unless everyone would have 1.
    I will dig mine up.

so far my starting setup will be:

Tires, I got proline m4 snipers for the rear, and mounted them with cut down traxxas foams as you mentioned. They are very pliable with the softer foams. I have 4 m2 calibers about 30% worn, 4 m2 badlands, and my pair of getto blade trx s1 tires for the front to try.

Big bore shocks with 35wt rear lowered 3mm and 40wt ft lowered 2mm internally. Have a bunch of springs to try.

Stock chassis, proline kit, 6 yr old hot racing c-blocks lol, modded slash 4x4 crank, rpm rear skid.
    They sent me the wrong bumper so I am modding something up with it.

Gearing, I have 13-18t pinions, and 60,56,and 54 spurs

Electronics mmp,4600kv,savox 0251, flysky tx

Gearbox HR alum box with motor plate from HR composite box, vxl gears, open diff(MUST do something to slow it down), avid revolution bearings throughout the truck, need 1 more axle assembly for backup

Proline chevy 1500 body

Not sure on shock position, but gonna lay them down to start.

Camber will be
    LF +1
    RF -2
    LR 0
    RR -2
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

looks like i nice solid starting point you got there rag. is that body a sc body? might need to have one but worst case scenario there will probably be one you could use if not.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    My Setup:
    1. Stock electronics, except for a really nice metal gear Venom servo
    2. SPC LiPo
    3. Stock RX/TX
    4. Stock shocks, all suspension and chassis components stock
    5. Dynamite Speedtread Breakaway front tires
    6. ProLine Suburbs rear tires (forget what compound)
    7. 35-40wt shock oil
    8. 1 large spacer in rear shocks (stock)
    9. Shock mounting holes all the way out
    10. Progressive rate springs FTW!
    11. Stock chassis
    12. No camber adjustments

Pretty much stock suspension except shock oil, and it hangs with all the LCG guys!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    looks like i nice solid starting point you got there rag. is that body a sc body? might need to have one but worst case scenario there will probably be one you could use if not.
    Yup, its my oval body for sct class at my track:

Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    My Setup:
    1. Stock electronics, except for a really nice metal gear Venom servo
    2. SPC LiPo
    3. Stock RX/TX
    4. Stock shocks, all suspension and chassis components stock
    5. Dynamite Speedtread Breakaway front tires
    6. ProLine Suburbs rear tires (forget what compound)
    7. 35-40wt shock oil
    8. 1 large spacer in rear shocks (stock)
    9. Shock mounting holes all the way out
    10. Progressive rate springs FTW!
    11. Stock chassis
    12. No camber adjustments

Pretty much stock suspension except shock oil, and it hangs with all the LCG guys!
    Using the stock chassis, I may set up pit next to you lol.^^^^

RC Qualifier
    I am really happy on how the thing handles on how high of a CG it has. Has the PERFECT amount of push in corners, and can have some insane speed on straights. Feel free to setup wherever you'd like!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

hes usually setup next to me lol, to be honest the hcg stock chassis does fairly well. the amount of body roll it has on this track is consistant so you can use it to your tuning advantage. the first week, or maybe 2? i was running the stock chassis and dominatiing, but............ the very inside edge of the track in raised up especially going into corner 1, and the way i would come in i would sometimes hit this to avoid the low spot in the track also corner 1 and while still turning left it would flip me every single time. so i went lcg for that reason. and bandit is just a pretty good driver more or less. and has a whole season of practice on that track as well without making much for major changes.

he also uses truck as a basher which is probly a big reason for stock setting more or less on his rig vs left hand only setup. with the cambers and all.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Camber is probably a little messed up from rollovers and cartwheels, but so far the truck has been very good as a basher and a racer. I agree with kgraves, the body roll acts like a passive camber when you are driving, it engages in the corners but flattens out in the straights. A weird sensation at that.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

The 1/8 buggy bumper I was sent was not gonna work. I did however mod a ft pede 4x4 tbone to the back of my slash. Took another long look at the truck and it is good to go...

cool, glad you got her sorted out. so your coming this weekend right? what about the other 2 that were going to come before? any word on if there going to make it?
    Drag It!

Heck or high water, I am coming. Not sure if pete and or sean will come, got a maybe from sean.

RC Champion
    I would love to join you guys .... But my air plane is on loan...

We most assuredly want some pics and video of the event,,,,,,
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Sean just told me he is coming. His brother pete is not.

cool cant wait! im still waiting on my new stub axles for up front.............. you got a spare you could bring just in case mine are not here yet? i will know for sure by saturday at latest if i will need it or not....... says expected date is the 6th but was not here. latest update is that it left aurora co. on the 4th. so hopefully tomorrow. the one part i actually need is what takes the longest lol. go figure right?
    Drag It!

Ft stubs? I have 4 or 5 in my box.

EDIT:
    Just checked. I have 2 new and 1 used.

I need a vxl rear stub. The 4wd version rear stub that is.
    Both axle assemblies on my truck are very worn. I have 1 full spare 4x4 rear assembly, and another full assembly that is missing only the rear stub axle.
    Stopped at all 3 lhs's and no dice. If you are practicing sat, ask if anyone has an extra. I will pay for 1or3 lol.

I coated the gears in my diff with 500,000wt diff oil. This stuff is the consistency of shoo goo. No sealed diff, just a thick coating. It slows the diff like 100k in the sealed diff I ran. The 100k leaked out of the sealed diff. I have a feeling that the 500k will stay in the unsealed diff. Cliff Lett (I think, or another traxxas driver in a thread mentioned 300k in the diff does not leak, just put more or less in for a tighter or looser diff.)
    Last edited by rag6; 06-07-2013 at 12:34 AM.

my titanium stub axles came in today so were good there. i wont be practicing though. ive got to put in work on my 1:1 cars. gotta finish the exhaust sytem on my track car and also blew a brake wheel cylinder in my daily so i gotta fix that asap. because no brakes is a very very very bad thing............
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    rag6 Just saying... maybe bring your gyro to the track to show 08kgraves how they work.

I leave mine in my Slash and just unplug and bypass the gyro when track racing... It is fun to use when bashing/joyriding.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

I will dig it up...

Ken, we had a ton of rain yesterday. How is the track??? weather for SUN?

Just checked, weather looks great!
    Last edited by rag6; 06-07-2013 at 10:49 PM.

RC Champion
    Don't forget us viewers.... vids and pics please...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Gyro is in my pit box.

Took the slash out to a baseball infield today and emulated an oval the approximate size of YRC. I got the handling pretty neutral. Full throttle was pushing, just under was carving. Hopefully it will translate to yrc's track. If not, its not that far off.

My springs are losi 2.5" silver for right front and left rear, and losi orange 2.5" @ rr, and losi 2" blue @ lf. 35 wt rear, 40 wt ft. Cant remember the pre load.

My gearing was 14/60
    Last edited by rag6; 06-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Charging my packs, and we are leaving @7. I so cant wait to run some dirt oval. Its been 26 years lol...

RC Champion
    Good luck to all of you..... and "keep the rubber side down".

looking forward to the results....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Well, 375 miles and 12 hrs later I returned to the 'Burgh. What a great track and group of people. We had a blast. This is a really great race format you wont find at any track I know of, but works surprisingly well. All Sean could think about was where to build an oval at Greenwood! Nate was awesome and its amazing how much time energy and expense he puts into his track. I need to sleep on my experience, then will expand on what I think was going on with my setup.

Cant wait to get back and apply what I have learned. Thanks Ken for the invite!

Open Wheel Brushed Part 1:

Thats a rusty leading at the start, just a little more gear...

Will get more of that race up, but missed a restart.
    Ken, did you get the vid of Sean and I after the mains?
    Last edited by rag6; 06-11-2013 at 04:15 AM.

i still gotta upload it. im going to try and do that tonight though. like how i got used as a ramp off the starting line? lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Yes I saw that....LOL How come the restart?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Its the type of race format I mentioned. If you get hacked, you can call a caution. It can help you stay on the lead lap, which is very important with this format. You get 2 cautions, then you are your own marshall. Rubbin' is def Racin' at this track lol, but I see the better drivers just trying to avoid contact and finishing in good spots.

Ok, my setup issues...

First I approached this track as I did on carpet and that was a mistake. I also did not make enough adjustments early enough. I got the truck close to ball park before the main when the track had its most traction. I got as high as 4th in the main, but forgot to call a caution in a mishap and went a lap down. I finished dead last. The toughest part of the whole day was counting my own laps, which I have never done before.

Anyway, every adjustment I made was a good one, but changing the gearing and standing the right rear shock up a bit(which the track owner told me to do after the qualifier) were the best adjustments of the day, and I did not try them until after the race was over.

When I geared up from a 13 to 16 tooth, the truck changed. With the 13 tooth I was at full speed 1/2 way down the track, the only way to get the truck to rotate was either blip the brake, or let off until the truck stopped pushing, then get back on it. That caused a lot of counter steering and drift on a slow corner exit.

With the 16 tooth, I was able to steer with the throttle with much less steering and counter steering. The truck was faster thru and out of the corners, and I was actually able to get the throttle wide open and it was fast down the lane. A little too fast. It was hard not to run wide, where all the marbles, and track pipe are lol. Will have to get some more laps in to learn my throttle points.

TIRES

I ran a set of m4 snipers with soft traxxas foams in the rear. I think the sidewalls are a little too soft, and I mounted the wrong offset rims(DOH!). Want to try 2 more adjustments before I get rid of the trx foams. Also have another tire to pick up.
    The m2 badlands up front did just fine. I do however want more of a pin to try up there.

RC Champion
    Set up can always be a challenge when going to a new track for the first time. And track time is a big help at least for me, I need to get a lot of laps in to get a feel for the track.

Sounds as though you enjoyed yourself and will be back for more......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

I also want to add that the owb trucks are hummin on 6 cell nimh... I will be back for more when friends and funds allow, you can bet on that. Wished I lived closer...

only the 4x4 owb truck are limited to the 6 cell. the 2wd can run either 6 or 7. but im sure you noticed that the smaller battery didnt matter in a light weight 4x4 lol. they pretty much have been dominating the owb class all season long lol.

the track deffinately takes some getting used to. no doubt about it there. the little low spots and dips arnt always so smooth like they were last weekend. so be thankful you found a good day lol.

but yeah, were just all out there to have fun. i think the fact that you dont have to pay to race 99% of the time atleast is what makes it funner. theres no extreme pressure to try and get your money back even. so it makes for a more sporting race i think.
    Drag It!

Its def a fun way to race.

By the way, Sean built some freestyle aspects into the track, and an oval around our greenwood track (I think he's hooked). I have not seen it yet, but we are getting together this Sat, and I will try to get some vids of the layout. We now have a generator down at the track also. I think we will be using yrc's race format when we start getting more serious about the racing.
    Last edited by rag6; 06-14-2013 at 01:53 AM.

sorry about the long wait, just had alot on my plate lately. just got the video uploaded though. here it is.

Drag It!

No problem. Thanks for taking time to upload it 8)

If you watch my last corner before I crashed into the wall, that turn was an example of too much mid corner speed. It zinged right thru, but on exit, a bump upset the truck, and pointed me right at the wall. Running that close to the edge of traction, there was none left to adjust to the car getting out of shape.
    Also if you watch close, you can see the rr tire folding way over. Thats what I was talking about with the foams being too soft.

I believe a stiffer sidewall will let me run a tighter lap, as running wide is def not the fastest way around this track.
    Last edited by rag6; 06-17-2013 at 09:42 PM.

RC Champion
    Nice little vid there...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Found another dirt oval a little closer to me, but you guys may be interested in checking out too... Its near Erie PA.

https://www.facebook.com/CornHuskersSpeedway

May have to try this trip sometime...
    Last edited by rag6; 06-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.

RC Champion
    They seem to have some real serious dedicated speedway racers. A lot of custom wings etc.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Thats oval baby!

cool, ill have to check that out a little bit more. so today i took third place and not long after a bearing inside my motor decided to let loose. i have a spare motor but the connections are different. so who knows what the stock velineon system connectors are? because if i can just make an adapter cable in the middle that would be great. the other motor looks to be a 4mm bullet connector i think, but whats the traxxas one exactly?
    Drag It!

Traxxas is 3.5mm(???). I would just pick up some castle 4mm connectors and convert. Costs the same as making an adapter, with less work and less resistance. If there was no other damage to the motor, the vxl rebuild kit will get your vxl up and running again on the cheap.

Your truck was as fast as anything on the track using the vxl when I was there. Wonder what switching to a different motor will do for the "feel" of your setup? What motor is it?
    Last edited by rag6; 06-24-2013 at 11:46 AM.

its like a leopard hobby 3300kv 4 pole. its just to get me by unless i like how it feels. im soldering traxxas wires onto it lol
    Drag It!

wires are soldered on, not the pretiest looking but i think shes holding connection and thats all i care about lol. this motor is just for temporary anyway. have even more reason to get that castle system now lol. but gear mesh is all set. i went back to the exact gearing i had on it before of 86/23. picked up 2 86t spurs so i had a spare this time. and picked up a 83t spur as well. gotta put my new axles in and she should be good to go again. feels like my spur shaft might be getting play in it again so i might have to open up the trans and swap out the bearings. the joy of a "race car" lol
    Drag It!