Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

lets talk about round e round setups

title says it all, lets talk about them. im going to start racing.

track is scaled down 1/4 mile dirt oval with like a clay/sand mix.

recomended tires are duratrax posse super soft for rear. duratrax shotgun super soft for rear. and aka enduro super soft for rear. not sure on fronts that much yet but for the 2wd one guy has basically the super soft proline street fighters (but not prolines) and he said they do fairly well. not a small enough track to want a mid motor configuration and the one guy who has it does better on the smaller track, most people do better with rear motor config. other than that not sure what my starting point should be really as far as ride height, springs, shock oil ect.

2wd short course 2013 rules.

1.) any stock 2wd sc truck ROAR rules (more of a guideline)

2.) not tire/wheel rule other than must be a stock size 2.2/3" wheel.

3.) any motor configuration

4.) stock short course body (so no modding it with holes, wings, spoilers,ect)

5.) 2cell lipo or 7 cell nimh batteries only

6.) no weight can be added

now rag6, i seen you were starting to toss out motor setups in the other one, but i was basically just looking for rules as far as what flies and what doesnt before i went lcg and what not. so if you dont mind post back up in here for full setup help

lcg is a must for me. just not sure which one i should run. only thing im aware of at this moment is that it should be a rear engine setup.

upgrades i have now are as follows

rpm front and rear shock towers
    rpm carriers on rear, with fronts on order
    de racing wheels (which i love)
    m2 compound trencher sc tires taped inside (which everyone agrees suck on this track)
    strc aluminum shock caps (which leak and annoys me so much)
    strc aluminum c hubs
    45w shock oil all around
    rpm front skid plate

upgrades i want for sure

lcg rear engine chassis (what are all my options here?)
    proline performance steering
    race tires

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...plained-please!

if you want to share your setup, please feel free, and tell what kind of track you run it on. material, condition such as loose dirt, clay, sand, carpet, ect. also please note the size
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-18-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: merge
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    why start another thread???
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Just ordered the posse tires and black de racing Trinidad wheels to mount them to. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the strc lcg chassis this weekend

anyone have spring recomendations? shock oil? camber? toe?

think i might just order all the losi springs one of these days so i can use whatever ones i need. well all the ones that are 2" for the front and 2 3/4" for the rear. not sure if i want to order the 4 2 1/2" springs or not though. without them im looking at $50 for all the others lol, plus shipping.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-18-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: merge
    Drag It!

RC poster
    $50 for just springs sounds like.a lot. I would just get the powerstrokes. I am still running the stock stuff in mine (dirt oval) but i am still trying to learn how to drive before i worry about buying much.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-18-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppas93 View Post
    $50 for just springs sounds like.a lot. I would just get the powerstrokes. I am still running the stock stuff in mine (dirt oval) but i am still trying to learn how to drive before i worry about buying much.
    I love all my power stroke shocks,they are definitely nice,but when you want to start messing with different spring stiffness pl is proud of their spring kits.
    $40 for front and rear springs.
    But they are great shocks,I cant say the best,but they are my personal favorite.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-18-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: modified quote
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

thought about the powerstrokes, but to be honest............. i think there better suited for sc racing with jumps vs. a flat track. no need for the duel spring rate on a flat track. with single spring you can adjust more easily. my stock ultra shocks already have the ti-nitride shafts in them. so i think with a healthy spring selection i wouldnt need much more. just gotta figure out the right spring and fluid combo. thinking about trying out some of the duel piston options as well. then i can even make adjustment to both compression and rebound. but $50 gets me ten different spring sets. havent looked for a group sale yet. thats just buying sets of 2 individually
    Drag It!

We go from a oval to a tight short course with jumps and a lot of turns.
    It's really nice having a couple trucks.
    I couldn't imagine having to switch every thing around all the time.I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal,but if you want to run both classes in one weekend,mutable trucks are advantages.
    There building another track around here some where.
    They haven't started it yet,the snow is finally going away,but I hope it will be as big as the oval,but with more jumps.

i really wish there was a nice sc track even remotely close to me, but i couldnt be that lucky. thats what i would really love to race, but ill settle for some dirt oval for now lol
    Drag It!

We have nice summer tracks,but in the winter there is just one indoor track,and its about 40 miles.
    Not really that far,but its a clay track,and I'm so bad on clay its to humiliating to drive that far for lol.

the closest one for me is about 45, for an outdoor sc track that is really rocky and not even all that great at all. its at the hobby shop i go to mostly. just for fun no actual racing. but there redoing it so we will see. the nearest indoor track i know of looks awesome but its like 2 hours away or a little more even.
    Drag It!

Did you decide what motor?

for this moment ill just be running my stock velineon system. gotta walk before i can run ya know lol. this way it gives me time to think. then when im ready to swap ill put the traxxas system in my slash 4x4 so it has a power plant and get a good setup for racing in the 2wd.

now i know you said a high kv motor for this style track but what range? i litterly know nothing about searching for the right setup lol. about all i know is that a 2 pole motor makes more top end power while a 4 pole motor has more torque down low (i think). so having a 2wd on a bigger track, im assuming that im going to want a 2 pole right? that way im not spinning out all the time? now what motor esc combo? thinking i would kind of prefer sensorless because my buddy has a sensored setup and gives him trouble from time to time. what about tekin systems?
    Drag It!

The 4 pole will run cooler giving you more room for you to gear up for that big track.
    If it was me, I would go with an mmp/4600. If it is staying cool, then maybe a 5700, but you might have to run it over 165 which I dont like to do. It depends on the length of the race, and how tight the corners are. If the corners are tight, a 3800 or 4600 would be a safe starting range. If the corners are wide, 4600 or higher... Thats just the way I would approach it, and I dont need the low end smoothness of a sensored system on a big oval. I can get by without it.

ok, ill deffinately give it a though. going there tomorrow so as long as we get track cleaned up enough to get some practice in ill try and take some vid to see first hand what the fast ones are running lol. then ill ask them

i seen one of the guys who runs and asked him on shock oil recomendations. he runs 30w in the back and 35w up front. but the fastest guy (one who owns the track) said i should probly run a little higher up front. so i bought 30 and 35, no 40 sadly so im running 30 out back and 45 up front. might have to get some 40 if its to heavy though. also bought some traxxas aluminum caps to replace the strc ones that are just made wrong and leaked from the moment i put the caps on. need to order up some springs and lcg chassis next.
    Drag It!

How rough is the surface? Bumpy? Smooth?

by the looks of it the track is about as smooth as you could dream of for dirt track.

well after not so good customer service with my shock tower, then shock caps that leak and were a waste of money ive started to get a bad taste in my mouth for strc........ i still run the c hubs for now until they give me any problems but im out if they do.

so i decided to not buy the strc lcg setups. i spent the extra $30 and have a pro 2 lcg chassis on its way
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-20-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: merge
    Drag It!

Oh wow..
    Going all in are you
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

what shocks?

well as of right now im just running stock shocks. i have no clue what i should upgrade to though. and today i clipped one of the drivers stands after jumping the barrier at full throttle........... yeah................ sheered the top of my right front shock clean off, broke the bulkhead, and bent both front hinge pins................

but the owner of track let me tear the bulkhead out of his slash to race with (not his race truck). and another guy had a spare shock laying around to let me throw on. and the stock front hinge pins are made of butter apparently so i just straitened them out lol.

i was thinking maybe the losi ten t sc shocks though. any thoughts? everyone says they ride much more plush than stock shocks anyway.

but the track is pretty smooth and fairly fast. there a low spot here or there but we filled them in as best as possible. got one video but not uploading tonight. its my car and another guys but im not driving it at that point. the actual racing starts tomorrow though.
    Drag It!

so things went very well today. they basically put a car in my hands so that i could run the open wheel brushed class.

we had a qualifier and a main for this. fastest person starts main in the back and works up to slowest in front. i won the main event for this. then for 2wd sc we had the qualifier, 1 heat race, then the main event.

i took second place in the heat race almost taking first. and i did take first place in the main event! first time racing to, i couldnt believe how well i was doing compared to the veterans!
    Drag It!

well pretty much decided im going with the ten scte shocks. just won the auction for rears. so ill work on getting the fronts next. then a small spring selection.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I race at the same track 08 does, and I find my stock shock are working fairly well, I just got some 40 wt shock oil out back and the lower mounting position one in from the last hole. Soaks up the uneven patches very well, and doesn't slip out too bad.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

i must say bandit, congrats on the driving man. we were just going at it back and fourth. hes the one who beat me in the heat race. couldnt hold me back during the main though i had 45w up front and 30w in back of mine for that.

my big thing now is that i didnt want to keep dumping money into stock shocks when i took the top clean off the one the day before in practice lol
    Drag It!

Why not go for the big bores, for smooth surface they should be perfect!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

ive had big bores on other traxxas vehicles. the shocks themselves were nice. the springs were weaker than stock though, and they werent much bigger. about the only difference between those and my current ones at this point are the shock body being aluminum and a little bit bigger. but from what ive heard these stock losi shocks are even smoother than the big bores. plus there aluminum body stock and threaded so i can make finer adjustments for the racing.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Before you get the big bores, I would look at the high-volume Traxxas shocks. I heard Jang say they are the widest bore (13mm) of any 1/10 scale vehicle. Maybe not as smooth as the big bores, but it'll be a first for the 2WD.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

the losi shocks have a 12mm bore, and there already on the way lol. will they be on for racing this weekend? that im not sure of lol. just depends on when they show up. and my buddy said they dont bolt right on so i need to see them when they get here. hopefully its an easy solution though
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Yep, I want to see someone with the high volume Traxxas shocks on a 2WD model. They work good on the 4x4 supposedly, so I wonder how they'll do on a 2WD.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

yeah, those would do well to i assume. as long as you have a good spring for it.

well shes really coming along. led me into victory lane in both my heat race and the main event to bump me up to 4th in points. only 2 points away from 3rd. first time running the new proline pro 2 chassis. then i did some more setup after the race was over and got my new shocks on as well. so next race should be pretty awesome seeing as my camber and everything is actually set now.

total weight with battery and body is 6lb 4oz

LF corner weight is 1lb 1.9oz with zero turns on the shock collar

RF corner weight is 1lb 4.6oz with zero turns on the shock collar

LR corner weight is 2lb 1.7oz with 13 1/2 turns on the shock collar.

RR corner weight is 1lb 14.3oz with zero turns on the shock collar.

front oil is 45w and rear shock oil is 30w. shocks all mounted all the way out at the bottom.

LF camber +2
    RF camber -3
    LR camber 0
    RRcamber -1

but thats about all she wrote for now. the springs seem stiffer than stock (which seem to stiff) so i have the set of lose soft springs on order already.

dont plan on changing things up any time soon, but i was looking at the mamba max pro esc. now going off of you OG saying that i wanted a higher kv motor for the track size which motor should i go with it? the1406 series 4600kv, 5700kv, or the1410 series 3800kv? ill add that the stock traxxas velineon works great there. dont know the kv or anything of it but it works great. running a 86/23 gearing.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-29-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: merrge
    Drag It!

That was me saying higher kv for a big oval. If the turns are tight and you have to slow way down and then accelerate out hard, then the 3800 would be better. If you can hold your speed up in wider turns, and keep the rpm's up throughout the corner the top heavy power band of the 4600 would be better to hold corner speeds. If your vxl is not running hot, the 4600kv
    will run the same temps or lower on the same gearing with more speed and more torque. It will drain the battery faster though.
    Last edited by rag6; 04-28-2013 at 07:53 PM.

the way mine handles right now (which was before i setup the the camber on the front, and have not tried it out yet) i go in pretty hard and then the front end pushes. i tend to corner one of two ways. i feather between the throttle and brake to drift around the corner almost or ill basically run a diamond on the track and use an aggressive brake at atleast the points in the corners. the points on the strait away may just be more of leftting off the throttle so i dont smack into the wall. so im guessing the 3800 would probably be better for me by the sounds of it.

stock velineon is a 3500kv right? so the 3800kv 4 pole would give me more torque because its 4 pole and more speed because its a 3800kv vs my 3500kv right? on the same gearing i mean. i havent checked my temps yet, i always forget to be honest. but i should be ok im thinking because i was running a 76/23 gearing on 2s before for mostly road use and my temps were 145-150. and right now im running a 86/23 gearing and i have the rpm trans case now with the metal motor mount.

wet track................

dry track................

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-30-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: merge
    Drag It!

the 3800 will be "more" of everything compared to the vxl. Especially gearing options...

heres a video of some practice. im not the driver. but mine is the black and green one. the more into the video you get the more he gets onto it.

this was before i changed my gearing. i was still geared for the 3s lipo here and almost no suspension setup yet. it gets around even faster now. but im going to try and get video this weekend with my setup now.

let me know if you think the 3800 would be better for me rag6 after checking out some footage.
    Drag It!

Nice video,even tho we now have a 4x4 class up here,my heart is still in the 2wd's.
    There just so much more fun to drive.
    You pretty good,some nice power slide saves,you just can't have that kind of fun with the 4wd's.

that actually wasnt me driving. i was filming. im going to try and get footage of me driving this weekend though at the race. the owner of the track was driving in that video there.
    Drag It!

Do you find that your going less than full throttle most of the time with the vxl???
    Is there a computer lap counting system?

I love the track. Wish I could find a real dirt oval near Pittsburgh, but I would have to leave the state to find the closest one at 70 mi away...
    Last edited by rag6; 04-29-2013 at 08:34 PM.

no computer counting system. we just do it all for fun. a few times a year they run a pay race with trophies and all but its just for fun more or less.

and yes, i was finding that i am going less than full throttle most of the time. not far from full throttle though. once in a while i can get on it full throttle in the strait away but usually not.
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 04-30-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    Drag It!

I asked about the lap system so you could start checking your times, try a couple different lines to see what was faster, try different suspension adjustments for lap time gains... The track still rocks lol

I dont know if adding a faster motor will help or hinder how fast your getting around the o. The unpredictable push/oversteer you described is what is holding you back from laying down more power. Drop a tooth on the pinion,and adjust the setup so you can run anywhere you want on the track, turn in and out with control first. Get it running smooth consistent laps so that it is boring and easy to control with out fighting it. Then gear up. Once you get to the point that you cannot gear any higher because of temps, then you need a faster motor. I would get the 3800 if your gonna get a motor now, but would leave the vxl in until you straighten out the handling issues.

Are you running a sealed or stock diff?

If running the stock diff, maybe put in a little bad horsie... It may make the truck push a little, but push consistently. Then you can adjust suspension to get it to turn better. Its really hard to give tips when I am not there to feel the track.

Your only about 3 hrs away from me... Do you run on Sundays?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-30-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I race at that same exact track, and 08 is a real fighter... Me and him bump fenders all the time, and yes rag6, we do race on Sundays. Sometimes we have practice on Saturdays.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

every sunday weather permitting. qualifying starts at 12:30

i have a stock diff with ofna diff lock in it now. when we do qualifying we do times with a stop watch. best ive gotten is a 7.9 so far but im usually right around 8.2 ish the majority of the time. the velineon system does pretty well overall though to be honest. if i found something similar in power but maybe just a hair more i would be happy with it. i need something to stick in my slash 4x4 soon to so it was basically going to be a matter of when im ready ill throw the stock traxxas motor/esc in the 4x4 and then drop something of similar or slightly better power in the 2wd. it runs pretty consistant now but i still need to check my temps lol.
    Drag It!