RC Enthusiast

Making Spartan Faster

Hello, I have a 2nd gen traxxas spartan that is completly bone stock. Im looking to make it faster now but im not crazy about going to lipos just because the cautions and the price for that matter. But if i run a bigger NIMH battery like a 5000mah vs the stock 3200mah will that increase performance? what are your guys thoughts. What are some tips to do on the spartan? im looking for little things to do without going lipo to make my boat faster. Thanks and hope to hear back.

RC Qualifier
    i am not a spartan owner yet but its in shipping phase now.i own lots of rc cars and trucks tho.i think if you just went to 2 2s batteries you would be amazed at the performance gain.and they are pretty safe as long as you take care of them.i ran my first erevo on the nimh batteries for a while and was very disappointed in it's performance and then i listened to a few people and jumped right into 6s and i was amazed but kept breaking tons of stuff.then finally i went down to 4s and its sooooooooooo much more fun then the nimhs.trust me i was like you but made the leap and i am so happy now i did.as for price spc has very reasonable prices and are great batteries.lipo made the biggest gain in power then any other changes i've made to any of my trucks and cars.

RC Qualifier
    Longer run time and a bit increase in speed around 2+mph, NIMH are known for faster discharge, at first it will give you full performance but if your running for about 1-2mins. It will slows down and the power will go down fast.
    IMO the Spartan usually eat the NIMH surely, LIPO Batteries have Minimum discharge which you should apply on the Spartan, as is you will run the boat on WOT so invest on a Good Battery like LIPO.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    well i am speaking on my cars and trucks but it sure was alot more power gain then 2mph's maybe different in the boats but it seemed more like 10mph in my erevo going from stock nimh to lipos

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys! my stock setup will run 25-30mph depending on water conditions. i really dont want to be able to do 50mph as the bay i run is not suitable for speeds like that. but would like to see speeds around the 35-38mph mark. what is a good lipo set up for that? and cheapest!!

RC Qualifier
    i would use 2-2s packs like 40 or 50c rated.from all the reading i have done it seems the boats like the higher "c" rated batteries.i think 4s will put you right where you want to be.i would check at spcracing.and get yourself a good charger too.if you want to pm me that will be fine because i am not sure of whats names of companies in here i can use and dont want to get anyone mad

RC poster
    Just buy some lipos.....All the rest of us have and well.. youlll never go back

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    i would use 2-2s packs like 40 or 50c rated.from all the reading i have done it seems the boats like the higher "c" rated batteries.i think 4s will put you right where you want to be.i would check at spcracing.and get yourself a good charger too.if you want to pm me that will be fine because i am not sure of whats names of companies in here i can use and dont want to get anyone mad
    hopduperevo you cant say any Batterys companies at all sorry

As for what lipo's i run 2 x 3's 40-80c 5000mah & 2 x 3's 40-80c 8400mah, id say dont worry so much, ive never run my spartan on 2's, boats pull alot more amp's then cars or trucks

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-20-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    i really do thank you for letting me know but i have seen spc used all over this board.if i shouldnt i will certainly stop i dont need to get any infractions and thank you pvtspoon.

You can discuss battery companies, you just cannot discuss one particular company's products. You'll know what company it is because the name is blocked by the language filter (it will be starred out).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    ok thanks so much.i still dont know which company thats is yet.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    You can discuss battery companies, you just cannot discuss one particular company's products. You'll know what company it is because the name is blocked by the language filter (it will be starred out).
    im lost now ? as when i joined this fourm you wasent aloud to discuss other companys full stop, but now you can ? talk about SPC batterys but just not other companys batterys, as the filter blocks them ? just clearing it up in my mind .

You can discuss other companies, you just can't seek technical support for non-Traxxas products. If you want to know what batteries work best in your Spartan, that's fine (so long as you're not discussing the brand that is blocked by the filter).

Now, you can't come here and ask how to charge or how to maintain your non-Traxxas brand battery.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Lipos lipos lipos! When I first got into electric trucks from nitro stuff I thought poorly of lipos due to price and the fact that 4s has less voltage than the stock 3300 NiMH batteries so I invested a lot of money in spendy 5200 NiMH batteries (8 at $75 each) and a high price dual charger. Next thing I know a friend loans me a set of 2s lipos to try in my mamba system..... needles to say I am now a owner of a NiMH grave yard cause I will never use them again. And the same goes for the spartan. 14.8v out of lipos will rock the shocks off 16.8v from a NiMH battery. And about the size of the bay you drive in. These boats deaccelerate as fast as they accelerate. I ran a 6s set up in my ditch after it flooded from heavy rains. Id say about 150ft long by 20ft wide strip and never hit shore. The faster these boats go the sharper they turn! Dont be scared of 6s its worth a try!! Have fun.

RC Qualifier
    Lipo batteries are a must. Make sure they have a C rating of 50 or higher. Prefer higher. Any lower C rating and they will swell and be ruined. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. Also, if you choose the lipo route, set your LVC (low voltage cutoff) to 3.5 instead of the stock setting. You will lose less than a minute run time but will ensure safety of the lipos as they are fairly expensive. I recommend doing the capacitor mod as well. This will prevent overheating of the ESC and all components will be very happy.
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by guardog View Post
    Lipo batteries are a must. Make sure they have a C rating of 50 or higher. Prefer higher. Any lower C rating and they will swell and be ruined. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. Also, if you choose the lipo route, set your LVC (low voltage cutoff) to 3.5 instead of the stock setting. You will lose less than a minute run time but will ensure safety of the lipos as they are fairly expensive. I recommend doing the capacitor mod as well. This will prevent overheating of the ESC and all components will be very happy.
    how are you setting the LVC to 3.5v as looking over the manual for VXL-6s Marine ESC there is no setting to change anywhere ? its eather on or off ?

RC Qualifier
    Sorry. I have the mamba in mine. I hook it to the computer and program the setting from there

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    i am going to add an lvd alarm to mine so i know when it's at 3.5 atleast i'll know when its close to lvd by the esc because today it was way across the lake when it kicked in and took forever to get it back to me