Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

NA`s Summit Build

I have decided to start a thead covering my Summit build. I love this truck, It`s amazing and I am excited to upgrade it to where I want it. I have noticed a few short commings which I will address in this thread.

Its only a few months old (3). Here`s what has been upgraded so far:

-Double orange springs all round
    -Roof light bar
    -Trenchers
    -Slingshots
    -Integy LVA
    -RPM front and rear bumper mounts
    -Dustymotors shroud cover

It will be receiving these upgrades this month:

-HD Slipper clutch
    -Double up set OF wheel nuts
    -Savox 1230-sg single steering servo, 500oz @ 6v
    -Aluminum servo saver
    -Aluminum steering arm
    -Castle BEC 10a
    -Castle Link
    -HD Servo Spring
    -Servo Plate
    -65t, 68t and 54t spur gears
    -16t, 20t pinions
    -Infrared temp gauge
    -T Bone Racing A-Arm skids (2-packs)

Please stay tuned!

Questions and comments welcome
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

Looks like a good list to me.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    You're off to a good start.
    Keep us posted.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    HD servo saver spring is stock, just to let you know.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    HD servo saver spring is stock, just to let you know.

Really... I was led to believe otherwise. Thanks for the info. Saved me $3 lol

RC Qualifier
    Take lots of photos for us noob's. Bare with my inexperience but I have some questions about the parts. I probably dont understand the abbrevations yet. What is a sling shot, Integy LVA, Dustymotors shroud cover, and a Castle link? Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    What is a sling shot, Integy LVA, Dustymotors shroud cover, and a Castle link? Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
    Sling shots are a tire by Proline, kinda like a paddle tire or scoop tire. Great in certain snow, sand and dirt conditions. Im looking for more lol :

The Dusty Motors shroud covers the top half of you chassis to help with water proofing, Amazing for snow. Its attached with double sided velcro and has a zipper down the middle for access to the innards:

The Low Voltage Detection unit is a small device you plug into your battery and it will monitor/display the voltages for your battery, The Integy brand was all I could find at this hobby store:

I mounted one on my truck and run with my evx-2`s LVD disabled. The Integy LVD on the BEC side. Lets me see where my batts are at and go to whatever voltage I want it to alarm at (3.4) as I had ALOT of problems with the stock evx-2`s LVD going off prematurely

The Castle Link is a usb programming chip to use with a PC and downloaded Castle software to adjust the setting on Castle products. I will be using it on my Castle BEC so I can ensure a new Savox servo will receive enough juice with no droops. Takes the load of the internal BEC of the evx-2. I will also wire it so the receiver runs of the CC BEC as well with a y-harness and poping out 1 wire.

Hope that helps.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for sharing all this and with photos. I will follow your build and I'm sure the pieces will fall together. Are you going to run the stock motor, I didn't see a new motor. What is the purpose of using a different bec than the standard on the EVX2. I have heard alot about changing the gears so it will be great to see how you do that. Thanks for your patience.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Thank you for sharing all this and with photos. I will follow your build and I'm sure the pieces will fall together. Are you going to run the stock motor, I didn't see a new motor. What is the purpose of using a different bec than the standard on the EVX2. I have heard alot about changing the gears so it will be great to see how you do that. Thanks for your patience.
    Im sticking with the 775. When I first got it, I was happy with the torque and dissapointed with the top speed wanted brushless(castle), then sensored brushless (tekin), then decided to stay stock and leave the speed for other rc's. I will however eventually get some dewalts.

Stock BEC is built into the esc. Same as LVD. Not the greatest of either if u ask me. Thats why im using aftermarket ones. Plus wanna make sure that my new steering servo gets all the juice it can take.

Taking any load off your esc is a good thing.

Mine still rocks the stock ESC!

Some change due to going brushless
    Some change due to wanting more control... stock has limited features compared to some ESC's out there

The BEC, whether it be internal or external, feeds the Rx, servos, and whatever else (LED's, fans) that is plugged into the receiver.
    The ESC controls the motors through pulse modulation I believe. (just got schooled on that recently)

RC poster
    I just changed my gears to 65 and 17, got a little boost on the top end without up grading the motor yet.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Trosh View Post
    I just changed my gears to 65 and 17, got a little boost on the top end without up grading the motor yet.
    It should be interesting to see how 20/54 works out, I also added a pair of Proline Road Rages for high speed test runs.

And a 9t and 12t pinion for stump pulling contests lol

RC Qualifier
    Just placed a $800 order.... list to come... pics once recieved

RC Qualifier
    Eliminator rc in winnipeg must be loving me over the last month. Ive placed atleast $1500 in the last mo. A little off topic, but they are amazing folks to deal with. Very knowledgable and pay attention to detail. PLUS has met every price match ive thrown at them, while usually beating the price match ive asked for.

Laurrie is great at helping me with all my needs.

If your located in canada, check them out.
    Last edited by Northern Adventurer; 04-19-2013 at 03:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well, In anticipation of the parts arriving Monday or tuesday.... I have decided to do a little prep work.

I have ripped every thing apart for a good clean n lube:

I also grabbed some goodies from Canadian tire:

A quick peek into the newly rebuilt diffs just to make sure all is well:

AND this will be my first attempt at shimming a diff... I got some 3Racing shims the other week so might as well try to protect them by strengthening them:

Ive read a few threads, but any assistance or guick tips before I give it a go on shimming would be appreciated

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the updates. looks to me like you have been busy. Cant help on the diff never done one. Let us know how its done I'm sure my time is coming to replace one. thanks

RC Qualifier
    So I still need to shim my diffs. I get that generally your placing shims between the bearing and gears. Trying tto bring the pinion gear meshing as cloe as possable without binding. But im stuck on the testing technique to figure which of the 3 spots needs the shim?

Can anyone point me to a shim guide that explains indepth figuring out where to test and place shims. Cant find video Anywhere on the net of shimming a 1/10 summit diff.

Thanks in advance.

RC Qualifier
    1 of 6 shipments showed up today, the largest too Looks like I`ll be busy tonight!

Is there anything left for the rest of us....lol. Nice looking haul

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I made out like a pirate!

Unfortunately... I tried some Integy stuff. Their holes don't even match up so its going back. Along with the RRP pinions, as they are the wrong bore.

Of course the Duratrax temp gauge batt had to be dead already lol.

Cant wait to get this Savox moving. I Will have the GH servo saver set shipped tomorrow. Besides, give me a chance to do some soldering.

RC Qualifier
    looks like your opening your own hobby store. Keep us updated with piccs, im excited to follow the build.

RC Champion
    Just wondering with all these upgrades why you are putting stock bearings in instead of upgrading?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Just wondering with all these upgrades why you are putting stock bearings in instead of upgrading?
    I'm more into crawling and bashing, so ceramics wouldn't be good. Only if I was racing would I worry about fancy bearings. In fact, I pack mine in grease to prevent rust and corrosion. That makes them slightly slower than stock bearings lol.

Boca ceramic yellow set = $249 +tax n shipp

APS rubber seal set = $32

RC Champion
    Are those apc bearings? The bearings I have been getting from my local shop are apc and they have a black seal in them. They seem more sturdy compared to traxxas bearings. I have been eating through bearings like crazy and I tear them down and clean, grease on a regular basis. It has not been the bearing failing but the casings? Maybe apc does 2 different styles. I agree on the ceramics for crawling.

RC Qualifier
    APC or APS? Mine are APS and are blue seal. I believe they will perform and last better also. They feel stronger. But same seals as Traxxas bearings.

RC Champion
    ahhh now i can't remember..hehe i just assumed when i seen the large bearings you were going all taxxas

RC Qualifier
    Lol the large diff ones were the only bearing that did not come in the pack. Thats why you see 1 pack of traxxas bearings. The big bag of them are the APS.

RC Qualifier
    I have a update coming tomorrow, to late and gotta get some rest for work tomorrow. But had a great day doing speed runs with the new pinions and spurs. The Road Rage tires were mind blowing on the Summit.

Sneek peek result from todays extensive testing... started stock gearing with 18mph. Got her to 35 mph with a 25/54 ratio and STILL USING the 775 Amazing what can be done to the truck with gearing alone. Temps between 195-220.

Those are motor temps? They are in the catastrophic range.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    yes, I know as a normal running temp 200 is not good, but for running 25/54 for 10 min`s on full throttle @ 35 mph I didnt find it a horrible temp. This testing definitely put a smile on my face. Was worth a a few mins of abuse. I WILL NOT be driving like this, this speed run testing only for fun.

RC Qualifier
    It was also the hottest day of the year hear in Northern Ontario, very warm

RC Qualifier
    Ive taken my first attempt at drafting my CC BEC harness.

I am trying to power both the RX and servo with the BEC set a 6v. But still finishing the wiring details... I`m definitely not an electrician LoL.

I made this harness so far with some help from Jamann, Larsen and Black Sheep:

Still a work in progress, but this is where I`m at with it:

RC Qualifier
    Here`s some pics of the Integy servo saver set that was machined wrong and got returned, the holes just weren't lined up properly. I`m awaiting the GH ones to try next time:

RC Qualifier
    I got the Savox 1230 installed. What else can say but it does live up to what everyone says about them. Was PLENTY stronger than the stock setup. Easy to install (basically a direct drop-in) and just as loud as everyone says they are LoL. You can hear the torque:

I also received the GH Mid-skid (servo saver skid), Integy steering arm and GH servo guard:

RC Qualifier
    Just for fun, I did some speed run tests with a every combination of the following; 54/65/68 spurs 14/16/20/25; pinions. I tried each ratio 5-10 mins of wide open speed runs. I also had GPS strapped to it to record speeds. All my temps were between 80-100 Celsius, With the exception of the 25/54. That was 104 degrees. These tests were done with Proline Road Rage tires.

Speeds ranged from 18-35 mph

Fun to see the fat man run... even if only for 10 mins lol

I also decided to throw my Ham Sandwich mod back on:

REMOVE THE SMALL RED WIRE FROM THE ESC TO THE RECEIVER.

Popping it out as shown above and then shrink it. Otherwise you will be feeding the Rx from two different sources... not good.

Also, plugging the servo directly to the receiver is fine... it can handle just as many amps as the Castle can dish out.

RC Qualifier
    REMOVE THE SMALL RED WIRE FROM THE ESC TO THE RECEIVER.

Popping it out as shown above and then shrink it. Otherwise you will be feeding the Rx from two different sources... not good.

Also, plugging the servo directly to the receiver is fine... it can handle just as many amps as the Castle can dish out.
    Perfect! Thanks Jimmie

RC Qualifier
    REMOVE THE SMALL RED WIRE
    in that pic is the red positive or monitor/data?

Not sure... I just saw three wires being fed into the receiver from the ESC... you only need the white (signal) and ground (black) to be connected.

RC Qualifier
    Just curious, why did you buy a Castle Link Programmer but no Castle ESC to be programmed?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails