RC poster

Hot Racing VXS16HS 200mm conversion for Merv???????

Hello All,
    This is my first time posting. I've been in this hobby for a few months now and like everything else I get involved in, I have to completely re-engineer the wheel. So please bear with me and please don't criticize me for my Frankenstein attempts....... I was looking online and stumbled across an aluminum frame conversion kit from "Hot Racing" and thought it would be neat to try. I have my merv running about 65 to 67 MPH right now with a lot of testing and modifying left to do. According to the description it will keep the same width and extend the front to rear wheel base to the traditional touring car length. Not only does this increase the styles of bodies available to me, but my merv right now it squirrelly at top speeds. So, long story short I am thinking the increase in wheel base will decrease the squirrellyness ( as if that's a real word ). It's 100.00 for the kit. Is it worth the money and is there anything I may be missing or unforeseen problems I might have to deal with? Thoughts Please.................. be nice tho

RC Racer
    That is interesting, so its basically turning your merv into a 1/10 touring car that can go off road? do you have a link to the conversion?

Edit: just looked it up, this is for the slash and rally, not the merv
    Last edited by Vaas; 04-16-2013 at 01:46 AM.

RC poster
    since the merv has the same base as the rally, and slash it should work. I didn't buy the merv new, I've converted from a rally to a merv suspension. I have the Team Trinity D3.5 10.5 turn BB motor with Justock ESC. I have the HPI drift tires and 26mm slicks depending on the road surface. I guess when I say "merv" the only thing is the suspension parts and drive line. Its a Frankenstein creation. I am going for speed and stability, so the rally to merv conversion was basically for width. I will list all the upgrades I've done so far and list the ones I plan on doing in the near future.

All RPM suspension ( A-arms and knuckles only)
    Big Block conversion w/ Team Trinity D3.5 10.5T Motor
    Hobby Wing Justock ESC
    Double steering servos with upgraded BB from bushings
    All steel CVD driveline
    Aluminum transmission housing w/ stock gears (also using Losi diff grease)
    Shimmed and greased front and rear bulkheads
    3s batteries in parallel
    Steel 45t spur
    For speed I used my 43t pinion, drift and road coarse I use my 23t

Future Upgrades:
    Hot Racing bulkheads
    Steel center gears
    Hot Racing Aluminum Chassis ( which this thread is really all about)

RC Qualifier
    Sounds interesting.. You should be the "Guinea pig"and test it out... If all goes well I bet a few people (including me) would get it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Racer
    If i can make a suggestion, i would not bother with changing the transmission gears to steel, if you arent experiencing any wear on the stock plastic gears.

It would add weight to the driveline and thats usually the opposite of what most speed builds try to achieve, imo.

RC poster
    I am going to try it out...... Friday I will order the conversion kit and start posting pictures of the build as I go. Again if anyone has any thoughts or assistance with R&D, it will be greatly appreciated. The only thing right now is that this aluminum chassis probably should not be used for bashing and off road. IMO, some plastic parts hold up better than aluminum. But this build will be strictly on road only and I will gear the car for speed or drift racing.

RC Racer
    sounds good man, keep us updated and post some pictures too

RC poster
    [IMG][/IMG]
    So I ordered the VXS16HS from Hot Racing to convert my traxxas rally to a 200mm touring car. Below I will show the progress and pictures as best I can. I am currently painting a 350Z body to fit this creation. I have shown the current wheel base which is approx. 195mm front to rear.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is another angle of you car before I got started.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is a partial install of the new aluminum frame with bulk head mounts installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the front bulk head section and transmission mounting. I had to dremmel the corners of the mounting area for the transmission in order for it to mount flush. Also, you will see later that I also had to drill and counter sink new holes for the shock mounts.

Here are the photos of the completed project. I used double sided tape to hold the ESC and Receiver in place. Still might have some tweaking left to do.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Now for the real test to see if all this work is going to pay off with a longer wheel base. It seems to have added 60mm in wheel base.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here are some additional photos for the two modifications I had to make. First I had to round off the corners of the transmission mounting area to match the curved section of the chassis frame. Second, I realized that if you mount the shocks in the original spots the control arms are at an extreme upward angle and the chassis was very low to the ground. What I did was simple..... I drilled and counter sunk two new holes for the shock mounts to move it forward which leveled out the control arms and therefore making the alignment much easier. One of the photos has a hex tool pointing to the original holes. I'm sure you can still use these holes if you have the rally suspension. Since I have merv suspension it looked a lot worse.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am continuing with work on this project and I will post more photos and info as I go along.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-24-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Great work man! Looks great!
    "With Great Speed Comes Great Repair Bills!"

I like the new setup! Looking forward to seeing it with a body mounted on it!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Very cool. I like that you can use a full size servo or the mini servo. Very interested in some running vids.

RC Racer
    i just realised that too, utilizing a full size servo is an excellent idea, keep us updated

RC poster
    Ok Fellas,
    Finally finished what I call " Project IDK "...... Here are some photos and video of the finished product. Now during the process I broke a wire on my sensor cable and haven't fixed it. I've lost a lot of low end power for some reason and the test drive didn't go as planned. I will post another vid as soon as I fix the sensor cable.

Here is the video of the test run. Like I said, once I fix my sensor cable for the brushless motor I will take another vid and post it. I also will have to go to a larger area due to the speed I will be running.
    http://youtu.be/QfSWv7_oEJw

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-29-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't want my batteries dragging so close to the ground like that.

RC poster
    Accually the center aluminum support on the bottom protects the batteries from making contact with the ground. You can also relocate the aluminum dowels and put full size batteries underneath too. I ran this car for a few hours now and I haven't scratched the batteries. Of coarse I'm not using this chassis off road so it may hit if you use it that way.
    Last edited by DJCascade13; 04-28-2013 at 02:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Very cool! Looks great with the Z body! Keep us posted as to how the diffs, trans, ect hold up with the extra weight. Very interesting build.

RC poster
    Thanks..... I haven't had any problems yet. Knock on wood...... I check the lash in the gear mesh regularly after I'm done running.

RC Qualifier
    Sweeeet,
    How's it been working for you?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Competitor
    Can you run a 1/10 2s with the longer chassis? and is there a link to the chassis if they are still being sold?
    looks good as 1/10th

RC Racer
    That's an old post to bring up bro... but WOW! that looks sweet. I didn't understand though, is that $100 kit contains everything needed for the conversion except a body? Anybody else tried it eventually?

RC poster
    yep, pulled the trigger and bought this from liquid rc. Was sick of the limited options of bodies available for traxxas 1/16. includes center driveshafts, overall were an easy-medium difficulty but only because it doesn't include any instruction whatsoever (still have plenty of extra screws from the kit no idea what for). Like the op I also started with a merv and what he said about the shock mount points were spot on - had to drill some holes

have just finished the build yesterday can't comment on improvement just yet...

RC Racer
    seems like I dont have all the tools for the job nor most the knowledge but when I start feeling the needed change I guess I'll take it there or to the 1/16 rally.
    BTW, except the kit, new tires and new body what else do you need to buy if you have stock parts?

RC Qualifier
    Is this chassis still available? And how durable is it? Want to use one on Summit.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither