RC Competitor

transmission issues.

when i hit the throttle the engine revs and the truck doesnt move forward. the clutch bell and spur gear spin but the driveshafts do not. i have removed the tranny and pulled it apart and i cant see anything wrong. no loose gears, no missing set screws. i have never had one of these apart before tonight so i am probably missing something. it a tmaxx 3.3 #4907 (i believe) with grey forward only trans. any ideas? i can take some pics of trans apart if that would help. thanks guys

RC Qualifier
    Tighten up the slipper clutch. Put a wrench over the silver nut on the shaft that the spur gear is on, and put something like an allen wrench through the hole on the other end of the shaft. Tighten it up all of the way, then back it off a quarter of a turn. That's a starting point, if it doesn't fix it, then it's somewhere inside the transmission.

RC Competitor
    the slipper clutch is not slipping. prolly should of put that the first post. i just put a new spur on today and adjusted the slipper before i had the issue with the trans. i also dont see any chewed up gears. i was surprised by the simipicity of the trans. but its also kinda frustrating that i cant find the problem.

RC Qualifier
    Set pins that hold the gears on the shafts inside the trans, or one way bearing...
    The best thing about Groundhog Day??? Bill Murray.

RC Competitor
    the OWB seems to be working. also, dont see missing pins or loose gears.
    its a good thing i like taking things apart.

RC Enthusiast
    Check for broken yoke pins again, they can snap just right where the gear will seem like it's not loose. Before you replace the yoke pin, heat it up then drop it into some oil to harden the yoke.

RC Qualifier
    I would say put up some pics as you take it apart. That might help some of us spot something. You said forward only.. aftermarket or traxxas factory w/o reverse?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewbolds View Post
    I would say put up some pics as you take it apart. That might help some of us spot something. You said forward only.. aftermarket or traxxas factory w/o reverse?
    i already have the tranny apart, havent takin any gears off shafts tho. it a factory traxxas f/o trans.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not 100% but doesn't that trans have a centrifugal gear that engages after a certain rpm? I know 2nd gear does...

RC Competitor
    heres some pics of tranny. i think i may have found the problem. do all the setscrews have the pin that goes through the shafts? the one on the output doesnt and looks like it have been spinning on the shaft.

heres the rest of the pics in case i missed something.

RC Competitor

also, this thing is like bone dry on the inside. should their be any grease or anything? thanks fellas!
    Last edited by smp; 04-16-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: me aint kno gud @ makin sentances.

RC Qualifier
    The last picture in the first post should have a set pin. It looks pretty beat up, I'd replace it.

RC Competitor
    the shaft or just replace the the set pin?

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post

No grease, put it back together dry.

There should be a screw pin in the FOC gear.
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7947
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 04-16-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    The gear looks like its missing a little bit of material. Might as well change it while its apart.

RC Competitor
    kool thanks guys

RC Qualifier
    Wildman, no grease in the trans? I put a light coat of green slime on mine... I trust you know what you're talking about, can I ask why though? Thanks!

According to Traxxas they gears are supposed to be self lubing due to their material make up.

And grease is a great dirt/debris attractor & turns into a grinding compound, that and you don't want grease getting into the OWB or all over the 2 gear pawl, which could cause the pawl not to extend/retract like it's supposed.

Now if you were running all steel/metal gears then they definitely need a thin layer of lube.

I have never run any lube in my stock trany's & never had an issue due to not using any grease on the gears.

Now once I get my BB builds done & if I can get my hands on some Super 6 gears then I will use some lube on them as they are steel geared.

That's my take on grease in the trany.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Definitely makes sense. I've got some steel and some plastic so I'll have to check if there's any metal on metal going on. If not then I'll probably remove the grease. What do you recommend for removing grease? I've heard brake cleaner is too aggressive... wd 40?

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    when i remove grease i get the majority off with shop towels then i soap and water wash with a dish sponge...

just another chime in, i also run any plastic gears dry.. and on my RRP trans "steel" i use a small layer of grease on each gear... if you have a mixed trans with some steel and some plastic id just not use any grease...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

Denatured alcohol will work for an end cleaner after a wipe down with shop towels.

If I was running a mix of plastic & steel gears I would put a small bit grease on any metal to metal gear contact.
    If it was all metal to plastic I would run them dry.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!