RC Enthusiast

Temperature Temp Sensor Mounting?

Where do you guys wrap the sensor around the cooling fins to get the most accurate reading? I found it was set too low and reading 70 degrees warmer than a temp gun on pointing at the glow plug, at least after its been running awhile. I was wondering why I could never get it tuned right.

RC Enthusiast
    A few spaces away from the crank case on the cooling head

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk
    Revo 3.3 #5309. 25% Nitro fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mlatner View Post
    Where do you guys wrap the sensor around the cooling fins to get the most accurate reading? I found it was set too low and reading 70 degrees warmer than a temp gun on pointing at the glow plug, at least after its been running awhile. I was wondering why I could never get it tuned right.
    Common problem, tried all sorts of places, spent hours on the phone with Venom tech support, to no avail, it is reading the temps accurately just not in the same place the mfr's refer too..

If you have the Venom Smart temp,, IMHO,,, it's not that smart.... I've heard the traxxas one seems to work decent by I really would rather just use a handheld...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I have a traxxas temps sensor, I didnt have a temp gun at the time but I really didn't trust the readings.. I think it was said to place it at approx the 3rd finn from crank case but my readings I felt were much higher than what the motor actually was running over 320f!!! I was breaking the motor in and became very concerned so kept shutting it off but I now have a infra red temp sensor so gonna give it another go and compare the two readings...