RC Racer

Antenna tube length

Can anyone help me figure out what length antenna tube I should be using? I called a certain support line not mentioning any names, but after that call to Traxxas I知 even more confused. I知 running a T Maxx 4909 rebuilt from the ground up, not one part is original I have turned this truck into more of a show piece. Here is the deal I知 running a 2.4 TQI w/base and the complete telemetry wire harness, the system works, but... I知 using the smaller blue antenna tube that came with the first new receiver box bought. I must mention that now I知 using an aluminum Integy receiver box, would this metal interfere with the signal? When I run the car I can only go about 25 yards and the system goes into failsafe. The first problem I came across was that the antenna wire broke inside the receiver. I went on eBay and bought a second, now it is hooked up and ready to roll. But first I want to make sure I use the proper size tube, I like the look of the smaller tube, but I heard today that I should be using the big one. I was told that my truck was designed for the smaller tube. Someone please explain what that means, because I have replaced every part on this truck how does it know what it was programmed for? The confusing thing to me is why there is so much extra antenna wire on the 2.4 receiver, and then they supply such a small tube? The problem could be in the broken wire I found, but I still want to know why they said that my car was not programmed for a smaller tube, and why they have so much antenna wire on the 2.4 receiver?

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37ー 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115ー 47' 34.8713"
    my 2.4's on 6 different vehicles stick out of the receiver box 2 to 3"s.... and work farther away then i can see them to control them properly... the rest of the wire is stuffed into the box so that only 2 to 3" is sticking out...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Racer
    I have Tqi 2.4's on 4 different vehicles and they all have short antannaes, and one of them I installed on a non Traxxas vehicle and it works how it should. Haven't had any problems with range.

Sounds like the broken wire was your issue for sure.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Racer
    Well guys thank you for your time and interest, sounds like nothing left to do but fill up the tank and let her rip.

I just wanted some insurance, and I'm happy to hear you just stuff the extra wire inside the box. Traxxas actually sells an antenna spool that I bought on eBay for like a buck, I assume this is to wrap the extra wire around? Just something to help keep that mess of wire stuffed inside under control, not worth the money don't buy it, to me it is just a pain to stuff the spool.

My LHS thought the aluminum receiver box was causing a problem with the signal, do you think that could be the case? I would agree that I think I will find it is all going to lead back to the broken wire I found.

I'm obviously going to take it easy at first and try to do a test of the range before I go to crazy.

By the way does anyone use an Integy receiver box? To me the design is strange, not sure why they route the wire outside the side of the box? The original box took the wire straight up out the top, and right into the tube. Routing the wire out the side seems odd, and I feel like I have more of chance of cutting or pinching the wire when you go to secure it in the holder on top...

Most definitely do a range test first be fore fire up.

I would ditch the Aluminum box if it was me, a plastic RX box works just fine.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    The tube length does not matter; however, the wire length is very important. Im not sure how long the tqi 2.4 wire is. With my spektrum radio, I have the wire come the entire way out of the tube and wrap it around the outside of the tube. Definitely do a range test before running it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    TRXnot so Newbie21

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXnewbie21 View Post
    The tube length does not matter; however, the wire length is very important. Im not sure how long the tqi 2.4 wire is. With my spektrum radio, I have the wire come the entire way out of the tube and wrap it around the outside of the tube. Definitely do a range test before running it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    That's how mine are also. Their stubbies also

+1 dumping the metal receiver box. I pull my antenna through the tube and then put some heat shrink on the end covering the exposed wire, but then I also keep it inside the body, it's small enough and I've never had an issue with doing it that way... And one less body hole to drill..
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    +1 dumping the metal receiver box. I pull my antenna through the tube and then put some heat shrink on the end covering the exposed wire, but then I also keep it inside the body, it's small enough and I've never had an issue with doing it that way... And one less body hole to drill..
    Do you have a picture, I want to make sure I understand what you are doing... thanks!!!

I don't have a very good pic but if you look closely you will see what I mean...

Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Both my 2.4ghz antenna tubes are 3 inches long, one on the old type black RX box & one on a new type grey box.

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Thanks for the pics... I'm using the small tube, and all is good! I'm still confused why the wire is so long and just stuffed in the box. More importantly why the support team a Traxxas was very stern, and very clear that my truck was not programmed to be using the stub antenna tube. Maybe we were not on the same page and he was not clear on all of the mods and upgraded components I have placed on my chassis. Because what ever it was programmed for at the factory, I can assure you that it is not the same car today.

I have the new TQI and receiver # 6518, my antenna wire sticks out of the receiver approx 8 inches with no extra wire in the receiver box. I cut the tube approx 1 inch longer than the antenna wire.

I tested the range with only 3 inches of wire sticking out of the box and it was good as far as I could see to drive. I felt more comfortable with as much wire sticking out as possible since this is a high speed, long distance build type and wanted the best range possible with the radio.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.