RC Qualifier

Waterproofing Servos

How many of you have water proofed a high end servo? I've recently Added a MM2 to my Erevo and I'd like to waterproof, or at least water resistant my Hitec 7954. I've heard lots of adding grease to them, what is the stock grease used in Hitec? if this really works i'll probably Waterproof all my hitec servos.

I don't really want to dip my servo in plasti dip or any rubber coating its probably just going to heat up the servo.

RC Racer
    what ive done is get a small rubber o ring to put on the output shaft. this isnt necessary but it helps. i grease it with red tacky grease no matter what. this will seal against splashes, snow, etc, but not submersion.

then i take shoe goo and go around all of the cracks in the case, and around the wire exit. this is good enough for submersion if done properly.

all of this is removable for servicing or warranty

I put a dab of grease on the under side of the case where the spline pokes through and put RTV at the seams as I assemble.
    My servos have gone through a few puddles, but have not been submerged for any length of time.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I just tried greasing everything for a test on a cheap servo that was broken anyway.

I just used regular lithium grease that i had. and then submersed the servo in water for 5 minutes and a few dips.

Once I took it apart the bottom of the servo was dry and there was a small bit of wet on the splined gear where you attach the servo horn but no water inside the servo.

I'm going to try this grease on my hitec.

I'm not sure how this thread ended up in the Erevo section. I originally posted it in the Traxxas Alley but o well

Make sure the grease does not conduct any electricity!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I seal the board with silicone and seal the gap between the case and the gear case with a little more silicone. Then I put a small gasket around the output shaft.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    All of the above suggested will work, unless you're concerned about fully submerging your electronics servos tend to do a pretty good job. I'm actually curious to see how many people here have a story where they ruined a servo from water damage, ESC's are more prone because they handle all the big current and get hot.
    I like turtles.

RC Qualifier
    The hitec servos are pretty good from stock. I got one of my hitecs wet a few days ago I forgot it wasn't water proofed but it was dry inside. It's good rubber seals around around the covers and grear. I wouldn't submerge one but I small puddle splash should not matter.

I don't like to get my trucks wet but I like to have it waterproof as much as I can just in case I do get one wet.