RC Champion

Another nitro newbie question

Hey guys i just wanted to kno what's the consequences on continuing to run "rich"???

i think thats how my car is running right now. at high speeds it sounds funny and when i let off the throttle it makes that red-lining "stuck in 1st gear" sound that a 1:1 car would make.

just wanted to kno what's the consequences of continuing to run it this way??

RC Racer
    Why you running rich? Are u going threw plugs alot? I wouldn't worry about that noise....ull never overheat lets just say, probubly fouling plugs, and gummed up motor quicker, but maybe ur too lean? U said u don't know, so what r ur temps? Trail of blue smoke while WOT?.....and the noise is probubly a tuning issue....lsn/hsn
    Jato 3.3 Pede 2.5R Rusty 3.3

RC Champion
    white smoke only for 1 second when I hit the throttle. after that...no smoke, I think im running rich according to the manual and youtube videos. im running rich because I was that was factory settings during break-in method, and I haven't tuned it yet. now it wont crank up and the temps are HOT don't have a temp guage tho.

RC Racer
    So then your running lean.
    Jato 3.3 Pede 2.5R Rusty 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds lean..... Maybe a air leak if still at factory settings
    Thx,Don

RC Champion
    yes guys you were right. I was running lean. I thought it was rich. I did some homework and learned it was lean and my hobbyshop confirmed it. and yes I went thru a glow plug. I'm now in the process of getting this tuning thing down. any small tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I just learned how to check the glow plug with the glow igniter today so that should tell you how much of a rookie I am. im used to plugging in my 3s not filling my tank with nitro

RC poster
    Hey I bought this inferred little pocket clip. You point it at the glow plug and press the button. Then it will tell you the temp of the motor. thing is awsome, and it was only $30 at my local hobby shop. This will help you tune you engine properly. It is called DuraTrax FlashPoint .

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsz View Post
    Hey I bought this inferred little pocket clip. You point it at the glow plug and press the button. Then it will tell you the temp of the motor. thing is awsome, and it was only $30 at my local hobby shop. This will help you tune you engine properly. It is called DuraTrax FlashPoint .
    +1... The Duratrax Flashpoint is a good engine saver!!!!

Running temps should be between 210-260 degrees F at the glow plug....

Too rich would not allow the engine to expand fully. This would create added stress, especially when these engines run up to 37,000 rpms..... The added stress can cause the internals like the conrod to split or stretch.

Too Lean would mean there is not enough fuel/lubrication going through the motor increasing the friction and heat. High temps will cause glow plugs to pop prematurely, piston skirts to become brittle and break internally causing engine failure, as well as splitting the conrod....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...