RC Racer

What to do, what to do....

Whats up Y'all..? So I'm selling my slash ultimate and everything that goes with it... When everything is sold, approximately 3 days from now, (eBay) I will have about $700 to spend, and I wanted some opinions.

Do I:

A: buy a NEW Emaxx Brushless with the 3s Lipos and the TQI and telemetry for $799.99 shipped

B: buy an Emaxx Brushless with the NIMH batts, no telemetry or TQI w/docking base for $649.99

C: spend $700-900 on something completely different.

What do you all think? I'm torn right now and can't decide... Was looking for some outside opinions..

PS. I have more money to throw down on whatever I decide... I'm not stuck to that $700 budget..
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-16-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: merge

I'd say get a full size Summit!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What kind of bashing do you do? Maxx will need some mods but you end up with a strong fast monster truck

RC Champion
    I guess that would all depend on how you run your trucks? and if you dont mind upgrading and replacing parts. If you like to bash and run them hard the stock e-maxx has its weak spots. Plastic chassis,bulks, shafts,skids,diffs ect. But lots of upgrades out there for them to build them stronger if you dont mind spending the money on it.

RC Racer
    well I bash lighly on the street and in the grass. The slash I'm selling is only good on the track, dirt or the road.. I want something durable, that I won't have to upgrade right away. I had a summit and it was cool, just slow. I have a 2250kv tekin combo, but the plan was to get either an emaxx bl or Erevo bl and put the tekin in that and the mamba in my rustler so I def. Want brushless.. what would you all do? ERBE? EMBE? Something else? I don't bash to hard, no jumps really.. I'm just not sure.. might look on eBay for something upgraded already, I just don't trust used and would rather buy new...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would say buy a used one preferably a roller, if it comes with upgrades better, that way you can customize the way you like it. Either the emaxx or the erevo will need some upgrades.

RC Enthusiast
    I did what RC-Fan said*, I bought a roller .. I found ones with upgrades but didn't go with that one .. I wanted a pretty close to stock one. sooo I bought stock E-Maxx roller for 249$ even had the controller with it , I then bought the Mamba Monster 2 (which is waterproof) I think for 249 as well . definitely glad i went that route instead of buying a brand new one. If you look on Ebay you can def find rollers with upgrades.

RC Racer
    I think I will do that.. RTR is nice, new is nice, I guess the best option for what I want might be to find a roller with upgrades and get a MMM2 system.. or just put the tekin in it and find a MMP 2400 for my rustler... Gonna start looking right now.... I'll let you all know what I do and post pics... any further advice would be super...

RC Enthusiast
    Ya what sold me and the main reason i was always so hesitant to get an E-Maxx was that the MMM wasn't waterproof... my buddy had it and went through some moist grass and it killed the ESC. Once i found out that Castle made the MMM2 waterproof I was all for it!!! everything has been great so far, just me personally having a Lipo issue (which i'm pretty sure is just because the lipo is like 3 years old ) but when i'm driving with it haven't had a single issue i'm running 2 2S and id suggest not going 3s until you have figured out how to drive it... you will prob break and smash it to piece if you start off with 6s .. especially being stock.

RC Champion
    If you want a durable e-maxx that you wont have to upgrade right away,and you want new, do like i did. Start with a flm alum chassis and build one from all new parts of your choice. Theres tons of good strong maxx parts out there to build one. Not cheap though. Will end up costing you around 1500 or more depending on what parts you go with.

RC Racer
    Yeah, $15hundo is a bit much for this guy to spend.. After giving it some thought last night, I think I may just get a brushed version for $412, put my Tekin in it and get some upgrades.. I already have 17mm Hexes and a few other things for it. That may be the best bet. That way I can upgrade the axles and the shock towers maybe a bulkhead or two... What else in you guys opinion should be upgraded soon after purchase? or just wait til something breaks? Also would you all recommend the traxxas steel cvd axles? Stay stock? Or get the axles from a summit?

RC Champion
    I've had had good luck with the traxxas cvds on 4s. Some alum chassis braces and skid plates and bulks would be a good idea. And rpm arms and towers certainly wouldnt hurt. Or if you dont run it too hard, just run it and upgrade as it breaks.

RC Racer
    I was thinking RPM shock towers and a arms, tru track in the back. traxxas cvd's at all the corners and in the middle and a nice set of big joe tires on some proline wheels.. Or badlands, I like those....

RC Champion
    If you dont bash too hard that sounds like a good start. The badlands would be probably be easier on the stock diffs.

RC Racer
    Well, I pulled the trigger... Bought a 3908L with the lipos and the telemetry already in it for 799.99 no tax shipped from ebay, should be here monday.. Can't wait... Also gonna buy a brushless erevo from a buddy for 150.. NICE...... Can't wait to start bashing ... The erevo is a little rough but for 150 i'll deal with it... Thats gonna be the super basher.. It has the cvd's on it and rpm arms all around so it can take a beating... I've seen it... lol.. The Emaxx will be bashed lightly on grass at my new house in Tennessee... Can't wait... I also ordered the cvd's for the center and corners for the emaxx...

RC poster
    Here is where I bought my E-Maxx Brushless (3908L) for far less then what you said. Shipping is free and no taxes are charged unless you live in the shippers state. http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...tCode=TRA3908L. I have a hobby store that is within 40 miles from me, but I still normally buy from R/C Planet, unless I want it right a way. If you sign up with a account with them then you will even get reward points to use for other purchases. Here is what they are selling it for today List Price: $1,515.00
    Today: $679.99
    Save $835.01!

William A

RC Racer
    you are correct, it is cheaper at rc planet, that $679.99 is accurate, BUT that does not include any lipo batteries at all. To add two 3s lipos to the package is an extra $139.33 making the package I got from ebay roughly $20 cheaper.. I almost ordered it until I saw I had to spend an extra $140 on the batteries.... lol... I got the better deal on eBay...

RC poster
    What's up pep I need some HELP I'm run in the mamba with 3s and keep blowing the stock diff gear is there a better one or what can I do.I do a lot of hard bashing. If any one can let me know thank u

RC Champion
    pmaxx, you might want to upgrade to the flm set up with 1/8th scale diff.

RC poster
    E maxxs I'm: new to the gear side of it is that a traxxs part and some one was talking about use in a hpi diff I'm open to try any thing to make it work don't want to go back to 2s lol and do I stay with the plastic diff case or go for a aluminum one if u can help with a part # it would be a grate help thanks

RC Champion
    pmaxx, what a lot of us on here end up doing is to upgrade to the FLM hybrid bulks that allow you to use 1/8th scale diffs.That have larger diff gears and (4) spyder gears opposed to (2) and larger pinion bearings. Front hybrid bulkhead #17700 and rear hybrid bulkhead #18700 and get a seperate diff of your choice that will fit. I built my 1/8th scale diffs from various parts with alum diff cups and had to do a bit of modifying to make it all fit. and pricey. I think the hyper diff will fit. Do a search on here for 1/8th diff you will; find info. Theres also a build thread called new maxx by 50togo i think he used a hyper diff. OR you can buy the FLM ultimate hybrid bulks that comes with the diff. front #17750 rear #18750 That might be the easier way for you. You will also need shims to shim the diff in the bulkheads. They do require a little work and mechanical ability to assemble and get the diff shimmed right.

RC poster
    OK I can do the fabrication that's most of the fun for me lol just need to know what parts to start with but thank u for ur help I'll post how it comes out thanks