Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Brand new revo...boy am I annoyed. Please help. Video inside!!

Well, after tons of research and shopping around I finally settled on a traxxas revo.

Well....on my 5 tank on the break in period the truck just whined up and stopped moving.

Truck runs great! Clutch spins the spur gear but the motor just revs up and doesn't move, forward or reverse.

On my previous experiences this is a classic sign of a blown transmission.

The nut on the spur gear is snug....

I spent a little over $600 on this truck and it does this!!!

What should my next step of action be? I will be calling traxxas tomorrow first thing in the morning.
    Last edited by Ramin2500; 04-14-2013 at 09:20 PM.

I'm no nitro guy but aren't Revo trannies a bit more difficult to break than that?
    I'd suggest taking it easy and letting our good members here try to help you.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC poster
    Well, basically I have a $600 paper weight....

Unless its a clutch/slipper clutch problem?

If I roll the truck the spur gear turns....but if I start the truck and give it any kind of gas forward or reverse it just barely moves.

If I roll the truck the spur gear turns....but if I start the truck and give it any kind of gas forward or reverse it just barely moves.
    If it still moves, it's not the transmission. Really loose slipper clutch?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    If it still moves, it's not the transmission. Really loose slipper clutch?
    The nut where the spur gear goes is tight. All the pads are still on the slipper clutch....

The nut where the spur gear goes is tight. All the pads are still on the slipper clutch....
    Strange... If that's true, I'm stumped.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    I'm also very confused myself and very annoyed.

The spur gear teeth are there and the clutch is spinning the spur gear....so I have power getting to the transmission I just don't have power getting to the wheels.

So the issue lies somewhere in between the slipper clutch and the output shaft on the transmission.

Will traxxas take care of this issue thru their warranty service?

I bought the truck last Friday 4-12-13

RC Racer
    Take a peek at the slipper shoes, my brother lost a shoe when he was breaking his motor in. If they look good make sure it's set pretty tight. Best way to set it is to tighten it all the way and then back it off to your liking.

... looks like your past this point haha....
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC poster
    http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps5463a0d2.mp4

I just took this video.

You can see I completely un tightened the brake.

Towards the end of the video you see the motor revving up but the car going absolutely no where.

Help!!

RC Competitor
    That is a tough call. Had it happen but the clutch was loose... just make another round and check the entire drive train your bound to find something strange. I had bad luck after break in too, really sucks but you'll find the problem

RC poster
    I took the motor out and checked out the clutch it looks perfect.

The slipper clutch pads are fine and intact.

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/lil******kkidd_2008/22E0D8FF-DCED-4D13-90AC-5EA9ECAFDB14-801-0000007E8D341659_zps14a6c340.jpg[/IMG]

This is the only thing I noticed. The metal ring has some pretty visible wear, I did have an extra ring laying around and you can see the difference. I will reinstall everything and see what happens.

RC poster
    Well changed out the ring, put the motor back in and no change.

Let me ask this...is there anyway the slipper clutch is to tight?

RC Competitor
    no that wouldnt make a difference.. im thinking the one way in the tranny.. theres a 2 speed mechanism and in there is a one way bearing on the shaft that makes it spin one way and not the other.. it happened to my buddy once but it would come and go.. u seem to not be geting anything.. id take the spur gear and gear hub off so u can make sure if the pin is in there.. maybe the spur was too loose and the pin fell out?
    revo 3.3 in progress

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by revolution83 View Post
    no that wouldnt make a difference.. im thinking the one way in the tranny.. theres a 2 speed mechanism and in there is a one way bearing on the shaft that makes it spin one way and not the other.. it happened to my buddy once but it would come and go.. u seem to not be geting anything.. id take the spur gear and gear hub off so u can make sure if the pin is in there.. maybe the spur was too loose and the pin fell out?
    I did just pull the spur gear off and slipper clutch actually that sounded like a very good idea but the pin is stil in there and intact I'm going to call traxxas tomorrow and see if they will send a replacement transmission.

RC Competitor
    I think if it was to tight it would at least try to move? Sit it on the ground with your thumb on the spur, in forward gear, move the truck so it grabs. If it wants to drag the tires and is very hard to keep the spur from moving its too tight.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3.3 View Post
    I think if it was to tight it would at least try to move? Sit it on the ground with your thumb on the spur, in forward gear, move the truck so it grabs. If it wants to drag the tires and is very hard to keep the spur from moving its too tight.
    So it's possible to have it to tight?

I was literally almost out of my 5th tank walking back towards the porch with the truck driving next to me all of a sudden it stopped moving. Just like the video.

It wasn't like I was adjusting the motor, tightness on the slipper...

My fiancé was actually very surprised how I wasn't beating the **** out of the truck like I'd normally do with my tmaxx

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like something broke inside of the trans. Being that new, I'm sure Traxxas will help you out.

RC poster
    Yeah I hope! I buy brand new to avoid issues like this.

Can't win every time.

At the same time as buying the revo I did buy a traxxas 2.5 rustler so atleast that wheelie machine is running great

RC Competitor
    I dont think they will but i could be wrong. Usually they expect u to find out what part is bad and they will sometimes replace it, but ive never had issues with customer support
    revo 3.3 in progress

RC Racer
    hi ramin for some reason im unable to view ur video from what i can tell from what ur saying does ur truck do what mine is doing in this video
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/mi...00189.mp4.html
    if so u might wanna break ur engine down to evaluate the piston and connecting rod or just call traxxas support and see if they can help u replace the revo or the broken parts this is what the problem was with my 3.3
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/mi...00205.mp4.html

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramin2500 View Post
    Well, basically I have a $600 paper weight....

Unless its a clutch/slipper clutch problem?

Imagine how the guy that buys an XO-1 and wrecks it an 80+ feels....

I can buy an $80,000 corvette and blow the tranny or rear end on day one!

Ok, you get the point - things happen, people are fowl-able. is it possible that the spring in the clutch bell have gone south. when you rev the engine does the spur and pinion gears turn? have you looked to see if the output shaft on the transmission is turning under the car?

RC Competitor
    Now this sounds like a handfull, had my share of problems with my revo but going to get home and have a look at mine before I leave suggestions on what to check since its been a while I ran it. All in all its to check from point A to B thought.

Skickat från min LT18i via Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    heres you option of possible issues: if your motor runs normally and revs high, your spur spins but you get no drive then its one of the following...
    slipper clutch loose - youve checked, so not that.
    clutch spring broken - remove clutch bell and check (Idont thingkits gonna be this)

transmission issue. this could be a srtipped gear or a broken pin on one of the shafts, more than likely the input shaft, I put $1 thats your problem... your gonna have to tear down the tranny, its pretty easy even with no expereince you can use the traxxas support page to geet exploded views if you havent got them.. check all gears for damage and make sure you cant turn the gears that are supposed to be locked to theshafts...

I can post a vid if it will help?

does the spur gear spin, you video doesnt work maybe post one on youtube and give us the link or add that to the thread it will help me/us to support you, you should still contact traxxas too about warrenty but unsure what they will say about it, may be your slipper was too tight and not slipping to prevent damage..
    Last edited by RevoDeano; 04-15-2013 at 02:38 AM.

RC poster
    I tore the motor out and check the clutch on the motor itself. It looked perfectly normal.

The truck starts runs perfectly normal.

The motor is spinning the big spur gear but from there there's no power to the wheels

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post

I can buy an $80,000 corvette and blow the tranny or rear end on day one!
    I bet you can't

RC Competitor
    I would take off the transmission as a whole from the truck, spin the spur gear and see if the rotation rotates the axles who leads out into the rest of the drive train. If it doesn't or feels weird as you do it, time to open it up.

Next up if the transmission is fine, go for the drive axles. Rotate the wheels and see so they rotate properly and listen to your diffs while you do so. Blew a diff once and had issues not to far off this one.

On a sidenote, that things so shiny. Mine's not that shiny anymore

Skickat från min LT18i via Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Northleaf; 04-15-2013 at 09:11 AM.

RC Racer
    It looks like your spur gear is slipping, from the vid but i can't really tell if you can try to get close up to that area in another vid. But i'd start by replacing the slipper. I replaced mine when i had the same problem, with the robinson racing and i've had no problems and i beat my slayer to death
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.

RC poster
    Just got off the phone with traxxas.

They said pull it apart and they will send whatever parts I need.

Real annoying I have to tear it all apart when I barely even drove it.

My biggest concern is...what caused this to fail in the first place? What's going to stop it from failing again

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramin2500 View Post
    Just got off the phone with traxxas.
    They said pull it apart and they will send whatever parts I need.
    Real annoying I have to tear it all apart when I barely even drove it.
    My biggest concern is...what caused this to fail in the first place? What's going to stop it from failing again
    Could either be issues from the factory or your handling. We can't tell, only speculate.

RC Qualifier
    looks like a broken pin to me....check out the picy, look at the little tiny screws/pins that go through the gears.. bet its one of those..

these things happen, could maybe do with loosen you slipper a little, take of of the stress of the tranny. you will loos a little power but if your heavy trigered like me then these things are gonna happen..

RC poster
    So, I took the transmission apart....

My primary shaft was snapped in half...

Why...just why.....

Traxxas is sending me replacement parts free of charge.

RC poster
    [IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/lil******kkidd_2008/2097450C-68F1-4575-8D8F-3A6082D7CB42-679-00000033877951EC_zpsfc5ae9b2.jpg[/IMG]

There's the shaft that snapped

RC Competitor
    Glad you found the issue. Goes without saying we all learned something haha. When I bought my revo I wanted to work on it but not the first week and for as long as I did. It becomes a way of life...bench time! Just be glad you bought a traxxxas, easy to find parts and good customer service.

RC poster
    Oh yes....I totally know what it's like to work on these things...but not when the warning labels are still on it from being so new

I had to replace my control arms on my rustler yesterday and its only on the 7th tank lol

I upgraded them to all RPM arms, and water proof servos

RC Racer
    I got my truck did the break in. and then while doing a little jump the slipper pads cracked and blew up.... not even 1/4 of a tank used it sucks but its the sport play hard break hard
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.

FYI, no need to keep the wand plugged into the truck and drive it around. Without the button being pressed no power is being put out.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    If its got reverse strip it out and put the forward only kit in there. This really beefs up the tranny.
    Sent from my lumia 920. woot.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Racer
    one good thing came from this u learned how to tear ur tranny down and what to look for if this happens again thas the only thing i not a lover with rtr u dont get to put things together ur self so u know how things work

RC poster
    I had the same thing occur, but I think mine was because the slipper clutch was to tight. On initial break-in the truck was not moving very well so I tighten the slipped clutch all the way up. Well around tank 12 I had never loosened it back up and put it into reverse and snapped the primary shaft in the transmission. I have since replaced all broken parts and properly adjusted my slipper clutch and have had zero issues since. Also started only shifting to reverse when I have fully brake applied.