RC Racer

Remote start and kill finished... well, almost

It only took me a year and a half to get around to building a bracket and installing the fuel valve, but now my Slayer Pro can not only start from the transmitter, but stop, too! The bracket in the pic is temporary just to make sure the setup works, I'll be making a much sexier one out of black and blue carbon. Here's a video.

The next project is figuring out some kind of gizmo that will turn a single channel into two momentary signals so I can put channel 3 on a trim rocker, plug the gizmo into the receiver, and both the starter module and fuel cut servo into the gizmo, and free up channel 4 for brakes.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC poster
    That works great, very cool idea!

RC Racer
    The 2nd half of the video showed me turning off the transmitter with the engine running, which kills the fuel, turns the wheels to the right, and sets 3/4 brakes, but you really couldn't see what was happening.

Now that I've learned there's actually an aftermarket body i have to hunt one down so I can build the roll cage to fit that body.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC Racer
    Is that a micro servo for the fuel shut off? What batt did you use for the starter and glow? And last question for now what module did you use for the starter control?
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly630 View Post
    Is that a micro servo for the fuel shut off? What batt did you use for the starter and glow? And last question for now what module did you use for the starter control?
    Yes, a Hitec 5055 controlling a smoke valve. A non-programmable servo will work, but I'm trying to put it on the same channel as the starter, so I needed to do some creative programming. I think that part is working now. The starter/radio battery is a 6 cell pack in the 5 cell's spot. I've tried a 2 cell lipo, but the starter apparently doesn't have a low voltage cutoff. It was almost not good. The thing between the receiver and starter is a Losi ROSS module from a Ten-T. Everything fits in a Revo radio box, but just barely. I need to see if there's any room to be created by Dremmelling out the box a bit.

In that video the fuel cutoff is on channel 4 and the ROSS is on 3. I'm working on putting them both on 4 so I can put in a dedicated brake servo. It would be nice to set the brakes when starting and killing the motor so it doesn't try to take off. I think I have that figured out, just need to test it later today.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC Racer
    Except for having to manually turn the starter off since you can't program a 4PKS with a momentary 3 position switch the setup with the starter and fuel valve on the same channel works great. I even managed to set up a mix that sets the brakes when you kill the motor. Since its a lean cutoff the engine revs up a bit just as it dies, which was enough to make it try and roll. Now I just need to steal the Savox 1258 out of my 4Tec to put on the Slayer as a dedicated throttle servo and build a better looking mount for the fuel cutoff servo and valve and I'll be done with the mechanical stuff.

Now let's see if I can find a Flo-Tek body somewhere...
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC Racer
    WHat radio are you using? The traxxas 2.4?

RC Racer
    Futaba 4PKS.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC Racer
    Awesome been out of this hobby for awhile and now im hitting the ground hard running making my own truck from scratch and i was looking to do this. Thanks for all your information bro post was a big help

RC Racer
    No problem. I have a 3 channel Traxxas 2.4 around here somewhere that I eventually plan on messing with to make it more suitable for remote start. I'm hoping a spring on the rocker switch will work, otherwise I'll have to swap the rocker for a momentary button.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3