RC Competitor

I have a bunch of questions.

I know I'm making a second post, but this is my first RC car, and it's sick as ****.

I have a series of questions that I want to ask for it.

1. How do I adjust ride height? My Roomate's 1:10 Slash was easy to adjust, how to do it on this?

2. What do I do with this gear thing that my car came with?

3. What bodies fit this car?

4. I know you can upgrade the batteries to get hour long running sessions. What can I do to get that?

5. About the above question. How long will those dual batteries take to charge?

6. How can I make it the same as the Rally VXL? I know I need those Rally Tires, but what else?

7. How do I remove the tires and put them back on?

8. How can I make it go 50mph?

9. How long will these slicks last?

10. Are replacement parts easy to come by?

11. Is the body replaceable?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to cover everything. Glad to have some help with this, I love it.

RC Champion
    First off...edit your post to remove the starred out word and replace it with another approved word.
    If you leave the stars(a word that's blocked)...you will get reprimanded by a moderator.

Now for the questions...

1. The only way to adjust the ride height is by adjusting the shock springs...or the body posts.
    2. Shouldn't need to change the gearing unless you plan on running 2 batteries in series.
    3. Any body listed for a 1/16 car will fit. As far as Traxxas bodies,the Fiesta,Rally,Boss 302,and the Craftsman truck series body.
    4. To get that long of a run time...you'll need to parallel 2 Lipo batteries(which will also increase motor/esc temps when running that long...keep an eye on those.)
    5. Depends on the batteries and the charger.
    6. Nothing else...that's it.(assuming your KB is the brushless version) If it's brushed...you'll need to swap the motor,motor mount,and esc.
    7. If you are talking about removing the tires form the wheels...you'll need to find a way to release the glue. Do a youtube search. there are several videos explaining the options.
    8. Series wired nimh batteries...again...watch temps.
    9. They should last awhile...mine still have a lot of life in them and I run the mess out of it.
    10. Yes they are. Most of the 1/16 Traxxas parts interchange...and are readily available.
    11. The Ken Block body is no longer produced. you can find replacements used on ebay from time to time.(I personally have 3 KB bodies so far)

If there's anything else I can do to help...just hit me up.

Here's my current KB stash...

Last edited by dcfox; 04-14-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Is there anything else I can do to make it capable of jumping without damage? I was going to buy a Rally VXL body and Dirt Tires so I can have fun in the dirt. I'm just a noob to this.

I found out how to take the wheels off, what I meant was take the wheels off the car.

Also, I read that you can make the car higher off the ground, how? It says to Thread the Shock's preload collars away from the caps will raise the vehicles ride height.

RC Champion
    You can only get a small amount of clearance increase by adjusting the stock shocks.
    The best thing you can do to increase off road capability is to switch the shocks out to Revo shocks...and install Slash tires on it.
    I did this to mine for awhile and it wasn't bad at all off road.

If your KB body is in good shape...I'd definitely recommend getting another body to use for bashing.
    They are getting tough to find.
    I've actually got a Rally body and a Revo body being sprayed with bedliner tomorrow...just to use as basher bodies.

But this being said...if you were really wanting an off road vehicle...the Ken block probably wasn't your best choice.
    A Slash,Revo,or Summit would have probably suited you better.
    Last edited by dcfox; 04-14-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

The best thing you can do to increase off road capability is to switch the shocks out to Revo shocks
    Pretty sure ALL of the 1/16th scale cars and trucks use the same shocks. The only difference is the on road cars like the Rally cars have internal limiters installed, so you could just take the shocks apart remove the internal limiter and you would have the same thing as Revo shocks.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    True...I was just suggesting getting a set of Revo shocks so that he could easily switch back and forth if he wanted to.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    I wanted a car that was good on road, but capable of going on an RC track. I thought I could with this, and me and my bud are going to dig out a track across the street in the lot right there. I'll post a pic of it, what should I have in the track?

Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    True...I was just suggesting getting a set of Revo shocks so that he could easily switch back and forth if he wanted to.
    You said you could increase ground clearance somehow. How do you do that?

RC Champion
    Swapping the shocks will give you about a 3/4" increase in ground clearance.
    Compare my 2 pics above.
    The top one sitting on the shelf...is stock.
    The bottom one with the Slash tires/wheels...has Revo shocks on it.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    So what pieces do I need for the shocks to do That?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Watmanwat View Post
    So what pieces do I need for the shocks to do That?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-1-16...item35c6859e1d
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    How I had a couple more questions.

Could I put a limit on how high the suspension is allowed to go?

What Tires fit this car?

How can I make the body sit higher? I can't make the posts higher than 8 holes or whatever.

Again, nobody has answered this. How do I make the ride height higher? The book says you have to thread the shocks' preload collars away from the caps.

That's all, please answer me. I drove it for the first time today and noticed some things that bothered me, so I'm trying to get everything covered.

RC Champion
    I've answered you twice already...ride height can only be changed by swapping/modifying the shocks.
    About 3/4" higher is all you are going to get.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    I've answered you twice already...ride height can only be changed by swapping/modifying the shocks.
    About 3/4" higher is all you are going to get.
    Than how come the book it came with says you can adjust ride height? Sorry, I'm not saying your wrong or anything, I just want to know why the book says that.

RC Champion
    Ok...that's talking about by adjusting the shock collar...which is a very minimal change.
    We are talking about maybe 1/4" difference from maximum tightness to all the way loose.

You are apparently wanting something for primarily off road use.
    I still think a Revo/Summit/Slash would have been a better choice for you than a rally car.
    Good thing is...with the platform you have...for just over 4100..you can convert it to a Revo/Summit...or to a Slash for considerably less.
    Last edited by dcfox; 04-14-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    The amount of travel on the rally suspension is limited because it is purpose built for street use. The 1/16 Revo and Summit both have a lot more travel for off road. Traxxas don't make A 1/16 stadium truck like the Jato. Which is the only style truck that I can think of that's built to be for on and off road. The ride height is adjusted by turning the black ring at the top of the spring.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    The amount of travel on the rally suspension is limited because it is purpose built for street use. The 1/16 Revo and Summit both have a lot more travel for off road. Traxxas don't make A 1/16 stadium truck like the Jato. Which is the only style truck that I can think of that's built to be for on and off road. The ride height is adjusted by turning the black ring at the top of the spring.
    I Didn't buy this just for offroad. I bought it for asphalt but for also something I could use at an R/C track. Since those tracks also have jumps, that's why I was concerned.

RC Champion
    If you are worried about it not being tough enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTFBN1PTGNM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhJOn4d-WcU
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    So it's capable of jumping. I just wanted to jump it maybe at the highest 3 feet.

I've actually got a Rally body and a Revo body being sprayed with bedliner tomorrow...just to use as basher bodies.
    What does bedliner do?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-16-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    it should just make them tough bodies...not really pretty like a custom painted body.
    I'm having the entire body sprayed...inside and out.
    It will be a little heavier...but for what i'm wanting them for it will be fine.
    Plus...it's a "buddy deal" so it's not costing me anything and they were spare bodies(just in case it doesn't work worth a flip,lol)
    I didn't get a chance to go by there and pick them up today...hopefully tomorrow.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    I had a couple more questions.

Which shocks could I put on this car for the ground clearance? Slash 4x4 1:16 or Revo?

Also, are there any Lancia Delta bodies that can fit this car? I've looked around and can't find any.

RC Champion
    Slash and the Revo shocks are the same. Just different spring rates.
    Either one will work just fine.

I've never seen a Lancia body for a 1/16 Traxxas car.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Dang. I love Lancias to death. Anyway, which one would you recommend? And do I need the springs or the actual wishbone suspension rod pieces?

RC Champion
    just the complete shock assembly...no other suspension pieces.
    In fact...the link I put above to the ebay auction...is a really good price on the 4.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    All right mate. Glad you're helping me. Glad not to get yelled at for not knowing this kind of stuff.

Also, is it possible to limit how high the wheels will go, and make the body posts higher off the car?

RC Champion
    Suspension travel is pretty much limited by the shocks.
    And...if you lift the body very much...you will also raise the center of gravity...which will make it roll over easier.

BTW...you were asking about the bedliner on the body...
    Here's the Rally body i just had sprayed...

--
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Wow, different than I thought. How much would it be to do that?

RC Champion
    No idea honestly...it was a 'buddy deal".
    He just sprayed 2 bodies for me while he was doing a truck bed.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    All right. Well, now it's time to wait for next week. Than I can buy the shocks. Can't buy them this weekend, but next week because of my race this weekend. Also, what's some fun things to do with the RC car?

RC Champion
    Rig up a video camera mount and make some videos.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Rig up a video camera mount and make some videos.
    Can you suggest how to do that?

Also, what battery should I buy to keep this running for as long as possible, and what kind of charger? I know it's a LiPo, but what kind of LiPo, and what kind of charger for quickest charge?
    Last edited by Watmanwat; 04-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.