Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

ok finally a first time spartan owner

i finally pulled the trigger and landed a new spartan off flebay for 360.00.it should be here near the end of the week.what if any upgrades should i do?i will be using mainly 4s for now since that's all the batteries i have and plus it shouldn't break a lot of parts.are there any upgrades i should or need to do right out of the gate?if so what do i need to change part numbers if possible so i can get them ordered while its on its way here.thanks in advance for your help

RC Qualifier
    Firstly and most important is the water jacket, change it to Aluminum then the dual water pick-up just add up a little more on the silicon tubes.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    would you happen to have part numbers?what do you mean water jacket?should i switch to the can that the motor goes in?i saw on ose the dual rudder and a dual water outlet and that i need to add another line.what do you mean by add up on the tubes?make them longer?

RC Qualifier
    This is the water jacket, the white aluminum

Dual rudder conversion

Add up a silicon hose is for extra outlet as well, you need at least 20' of extra hose

Lastly a part # 5723 for the additional outlet.
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 04-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.

RC Champion
    You may wish to go with a metal prop... Octura X442 or Prather 215 copper or stainless steel.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    thats almost the exact kit i ordered only difference is i ordered blue.do the metal props come balanced and sharpened?

RC Qualifier
    There is an option on the props if you want it sharpened and balanced. Around $25-30.

RC Champion
    I should have mentioned that as well, make sure to have the props sharpened and balanced prior to use. Most shops that sell props offer balanceing & sharpening for a small fee.

A little polishing for some bling is also nice.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    should i get one of those or will the stock one be ok? i really only plan on running 4s and very rarely 5s or 6s.is the above dual water kit easy to install? i am pretty mechanical

RC Qualifier
    4S is not an issue running with the stock plastic prop. But if you go on reliability go with the metal props.

RC Qualifier
    ok thank and thats what i want.which prop would you recommend? do you know if the lvd on the esc is adjustable? and is there anything else i need to upgrade? do i need to do anything to the hatch to help keep water out? can you give me the part number and where to get the prop from please

RC Qualifier
    Props are Octura x442 or Prather 215 you can get it at OSE, the rubber motor jacket is the one which leaks water, try running with the aluminum jacket surely it will lessen the water. I'm not sure with the LVD I'm not using the stock ESC, Add up an additional trim tab as well to eliminate chine walking.

RC Qualifier
    ok thanks but is there any way you can explain adding a trim tab and chine.where do i put it and which 1 should i buy.sorry for so many questions but this is my 1st boat i've owned or do you mean buying the blue ones from ose?
    Last edited by hopduperevo; 04-16-2013 at 04:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Here is the additional Trim Tabs image

Here is the exact item #
    You need the item # 5730 as well.

(Chine walking) means the Spartan rocks side-to-side.

RC Qualifier
    ok cool thanks.in the pic i only see 3 is there really four?or you just add 1 more and not 2? what do you think about the ones on ose trim tabs?are they worth the money or just use traxxas?

RC Champion
    There are 4 trim tabs there... His pic blocked the 4th trim tab, which is on the far right..

IMO the outer most trim tabs are not in use much and need not be adjustable in nature, at wot the prop is just about the only thing in the water other than the rudder.

Inner adjustable trim tabs will help with your chine walk issues and a slightly longer rudder also.

The Traxxas adjustable trim tabs work just fine. If you don't like the blue just soak them in some Drano & water mix...
    Last edited by orca44; 04-16-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    ok cool thanks.i dont have any issues yet since my spartan is in the mail and on the way.i'm just trying to get ahead of the game so to speak.is the dual water intlet rudder from ose longer then stock? thats the kit i also have on the way too.it comes with the dual inlet rudder,blue can that goes around the motor,dual outlet and the rear back splash for when in reverse.so i should order 2 adjustable trim tabs for in between the stock non adjustables?i like the blue since i ordered the blue spartan and the kit i ordered is also in blue.but thanks for the heads up on removing the color.i have some tie rods for my erevo thats red i wanted to be silver.i really do appreciate all of you guys being so helpful and patient with me

RC Qualifier
    Your Welcome Enjoy your New Toy soon!

RC Qualifier
    i have been reading alot tonight and i have noticed alot of people talking about the caps swelling and popping.is there any easy mods to stop this from happening or should i just have fun with it til that happens.also have notice people talking about keeping the flex cable greased.what grease should i use?

RC Qualifier
    Don't worry about the caps, if that happened your warranty last for a year from traxxas, be sure to keep your Receipt, flex cable should need to lubricated every 3runs, your spartan is supplied with included grease, you will see it in the package once you open the box.

RC Qualifier
    ok thank.guess what i was wondering is there a better grease to use like a wheel bearing grease or a marine grade bearing grease?

RC Qualifier
    Any type of marine grease is fine.

RC Qualifier
    thank you very much for your help

RC Qualifier
    still waiting on my spartan.i ordered it and paid for it last saturday off flebay and the guy waited til thursday to send it out.i was a little disappointed but at least i have gained lots of knowledge off you guys here.i was hoping to be taking it out today and test it out but guess not.

RC Qualifier
    Well the important thing is you will receive it, rather than not.

RC Qualifier
    that is so true and thats how i'm looking at it but i figured since i had ordered it last saturday i would of had it by thursday and done the upgrades i have for it and been in the water today.but i guess good things come to those who wait.

RC Champion
    Ya some times the private parties do not ship right away. But it will be worth the wait and have much enjoyment when you put it in the water.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    i almost had it yesterday.i had to have it shipped to my mothers since its coming fedex and has to be signed for.she stayed there all day waiting and of course when she had to run out for 5 mins they showed up.now for some reason they aren't going to redeliver it til tuesday instead of monday that part i dont get.

RC Qualifier
    Finally it's here! i can't wait to get this thing out this weekend and see what it can do.going straight to 4s and then maybe 5s

RC Qualifier
    finally got my hands on my boat and did the dual rudder upgrade.once i had my hands on the boat and took it apart everything makes sense on how things work and come apart and go back together.i also bought another set of trim tabs and adjusters.should i just but them up against the other ones and drill holes?can someone who has done this maybe give me a little more info be fore i go drilling more holes in my brand new boat

RC Qualifier
    There is called a Ghost hole on the hull, you can clearly see when you do it in a dark place.
    1. Put a flashlight inside the hull were the other trim tab that your planning to put. So by that shadow you can clearly see the ghost hole.
    2. Then take a marker, mark the exact spot where you have to put the hole.
    3. Get a drill then make a hole exact for the screws.

Caution : Don't drill too deep, you might go through inside the hull, it's not necessary to make a see thru hole, it had to be a blind hole.

RC Qualifier
    I have to make a couple comments here having done 5 hulls now. I do use the flashlight method to locate and then mark the hulls for the hole location. Then I use a sharp pointed awl to punch the outer skin of the hull. Then I take a drill bit just bigger than the screw and just turn the bit by hand to open the hull up. The inner hole is already the correct size for the screw. I do this because if you use a drill it can bite in to the plastic and the drill bit can be pulled in to the inner hole in an instant. This will open the hole up to big and you risk ruining the hull. The other option is to have a stop collar on the bit that will prevent it from going in to the hull more than 1/8 on an inch.

RC Qualifier
    WOW i finally got this thing out on the water on 4s and this boat hauls butt.and it turns on a dime and sometimes it seems like it dips under the water on high speed turns.i have to admit since i don't have a rescue boat yet my heart skipped a beat the first time it did it.i did have my surf rod,huge bobber and a big treble hook just in case.i can't wait to get it out again on maybe 5s and then some 6s after i get used to it a little more.i have to say i know what chine is now lol and thank you guys for helping my figure out how to find those holes.thats the next mod since i already did the dual water inlet/outlet.i also have the .187 cable and octura x442 coming to and some nylon break away bolts.i read on a website that that should be the first thing to change.seys it saves the rudder and hull in case i hit something.what do you guys think about that?the only problem i had today was the boat kept wanting to go right and i forgot to bring the tool bag so i adjusted the turn knob almost all the way to the left.since being home i adjusted it on the servo and it seems straight but it also did when i put it back on after the rudder change.so my next question is,how do i know lvd is on?it never seemed to cut down to half speed like the cars and trucks do.

RC Qualifier
    You didn't reach yet the LVD, it should slow down to 5o% the speed, be sure the esc light is Steady green not red.
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 04-29-2013 at 04:16 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Couple of thoughts:

If the boat is "nosing in" on corners or coming over waves, your trim tabs may need adjusting (up), or try positioning your batteries further back in the tray (if not already fully to the rear)

Consider taping your hatch. Clear or colored electrical tape, or clear hockey tape works well. This will help keep water out if you submarine, or flip the boat. The rear tabs on the Spartan's hatch make it a bit more challenging to tape properly, but it can be done. It also helps prevent the hatch from ejecting in the event of a hard flip. It takes an extra minute or so getting ready, but can save considerable grief of you flip.

Prop torque will roll the hull to starboard causing it to turn to the right, the prop will also want to "walk" the stern of the boat to the left, also resulting in the bow heading to the right. you should be able to compensate with your steering trim adjustment, or a slight adjustment on the linkage may be required.

As Edge has already advised. The LVC will cut the power to 50% and leave enough charge in the batteries for a safe return to shore. It is easily recognized when the boats performance drops off.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 04-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i learned after some more reading that i got VERY lucky when i stopped the boat on both sets of batteries.i never turned on the lvd.dumb mistake on my part thinking it was from castle that it did the same as the mamba monster.its on now tho!thanks for all your help.i would have to video it to actually see what it is doing it happens so fast.i just don't crank the wheel fast to one side and it doesn't do it.i put on the trim tab adjusters last night after i got back from the lake and set the tabs with a straight edge just so the tabs were touching.i didn't have the batteries all the way to the back but they were on the edge of the second black mat from the back

RC Qualifier
    where can i get a cheap small waterproof gps so i'll know how fast my boats going?

RC Qualifier
    e-bay.

Waterproof it by putting it inside a ziplock bag.

I tried a Qstarz sports GPS that was supposed to be waterproof to 3-4 ft. It got ejected in about 2 feet of water, it still works, but took forever to dry out. I always put it in a ziplock now.

I also ran an eagle tree setup with GPS for some time but I found it was a bit under rated for the amp draws on the Spartan.

hog

RC Qualifier
    ok thank you for your help

RC Qualifier
    If you leave a bit of air in the bag, it will help float the GPS if ejected. (as long as it doesn't get ripped)

I prefer to try and strap mine in under a spare battery strap if there is room. Or secure it with a piece of pool noodle.

hog