RC poster

slayer pro clutch bell bearings issues...

i have a slayer pro the clutch bell bearings keep going bad what do i do.....
    Last edited by drew.724; 04-13-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Welcome to the forums! Some poeple have issues with the stock ones, and some don't. (I don't have any issues) What most people do is get better, tougher bearings. What I would do, is get some Avid rc bearings. They are only $1 each, and they have made better and stronger than the Traxxas ones. Here's a link. You can get them in ceramic, normal steel, and rubber sheild. Hope this helps! Here's a link. This link to is the exact size of the clutch bell ball bearings. http://www.avidrc.com/search/?x=-1394&y=-101&s=5x11x4
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 04-13-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Make sure your mesh is not too tight. Too tight of a gear mesh will wreck a new bearing in next to no time. I've used every bearing imaginable for clutch bell bearings and have wrecked all of them except for the cheapo $1 a piece rubber shielded bearings from Avid. I dropped some big bucks on Acer ceramic bearings and wrecked them in my CB in about 1 1/2 tank fulls and I had perfect mesh. Also do not grease your CB bearings only oil them.

RC Competitor
    Hey Drew,

Yeah mate just this weekend I wrecked my stock bearings, I odered a pack of 20 for $2 from Hong Kong which hopefully arrive soon. i doubt they will last long, but 20 should keep me going i would hope!

I am pretty sure my mesh was too tight and thats how i burned it out, but i have heard the traxxas bearings are pretty average... looks like I will be buying the "avid" bearings as suggested above... if i ever use all 20 that i have on order!

Cheers and goodluck
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

RC Competitor
    What oil you use on your bearings?
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

RC Racer
    Carguy7a Really? What do you use your truck for? Racing bashing all around? I never had a problem yet with those bearings and i bash my truck till it breaks. But i guess i haven't been that hard lately lol.

I got these and they seem to be working great!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXXFA7&P=K
    Last edited by Reilly630; 05-14-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.

CB bearings take a lot of heat. I wouldn't use the $2.00 Ebay bearings on something that spins at 36,000 rpms and under the conditions they have to....

Avid bearings, Boca Bearings ( I prefer Avid revolutions myself, put the metal shield to the inner part of the CB the rubber shield to the outside).

I did an all around Avid bearing upgrade when MT racing was very popular. I gained at least 1-2 more laps from a tank of fuel due to just swapping out all the bearings in the tranny, diffs, and axles... TO top that, now I do maintain my bearings, but I have yet to have one Avid bearing fail on me since 2005.... That speaks good enough for my taste..

I also use them in my Quadcopter, my Truggy as well.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly630 View Post
    Carguy7a Really? What do you use your truck for? Racing bashing all around? I never had a problem yet with those bearings and i bash my truck till it breaks. But i guess i haven't been that hard lately lol.

I got these and they seem to be working great!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXXFA7&P=K
    Just normal backyard running. I'm really pretty easy on the truck to be honest. I put the Acer ceramic CB bearings in (I pre oiled them before putting them in) set the mesh perfectly and tightened everything down. Took it out and ran a tank or so and started hearing an odd noise so I took it to the garage and the bearings had literally exploded. The races and balls were just falling out. It even blew the seals out. Put the avid's in used the same oil and they are still in the truck now. I've just been waiting to see when those fail but nothing yet. Maybe I just got some bad ones but then again at $15 for 2 I wasn't going to try it again and waste even more money. The oil I use is Trinity bearing oil.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 05-15-2013 at 01:02 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Just normal backyard running. I'm really pretty easy on the truck to be honest. I put the Acer ceramic CB bearings in (I pre oiled them before putting them in) set the mesh perfectly and tightened everything down. Took it out and ran a tank or so and started hearing an odd noise so I took it to the garage and the bearings had literally exploded. The races and balls were just falling out. It even blew the seals out. Put the avid's in used the same oil and they are still in the truck now. I've just been waiting to see when those fail but nothing yet. Maybe I just got some bad ones but then again at $15 for 2 I wasn't going to try it again and waste even more money. The oil I use is Trinity bearing oil.
    Hmmmmm maybe it was the oil that did it because I tried them right out of the package, becasue they are pre oiled with their SIN synthetic oil, and wanted to see how it held up and so far so good. But i Highly doubt oil could have been the cause of failure in your situation. Never can't have too much lubrication
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.