RC Qualifier

to store or not to store?

So today was my first time using lipo and my Rusty was more than a handful lol. Anyway needless to say i broke before i used up the charge in my battery. I have the 2c 7.4v 5000mah pack. I maybe ran 10-15 mins before i broke a rear hub. My LHS will have my parts at 10am and i plan to meet friends at 3pm to run. Will my battery be ok to finish using tomorrow or should i put it in storage mode? With my nimh i woulda just finished using up the pack next run.

Any help would be nice. Also any advice for a new lipo user would also be appreciated.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Champion
    id suggest one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-Lion-Ba...item460e6595fd. that way you can monitor your lipos. if it was me id recharge it quick while im repairing the rusty. that way id have a full battery.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    im not sure how that would help me? And charging the battery while repairing is a good idea if i were to fix it right after it happens. But i wanted to know if its ok to wait 24hrs to top of charge or is it better to put in to storage mode and just recharge tomorrow before i use?

RC Qualifier
    It wouldn't hurt to storage charge it...my 6500 2s only takes 30 min to charge full from storage at 6amps...if I am unsure when I can run again I always go ahead and put it t storage voltage

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Honestly, I don't leave my batteries at full voltage for more than a few hours tops. The longer they are there, the less cycles you will get out of them.

But, storage voltage has a very large range for short term storage... anywhere from 3.6-3.9 volts is acceptable.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NvDesertRat96 View Post
    I maybe ran 10-15 mins before i broke a rear hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    But, storage voltage has a very large range for short term storage... anywhere from 3.6-3.9 volts is acceptable.
    With a voltage checker, since the battery was only partially run down if the voltage is between 3.6v and 3.9v the battery is basically already in storage voltage and no need to put on the charger?

Per cell... and only for short term storage... no need to do anything to it.

RC Qualifier
    For long term storage put at 3.85v per cell, correct?

RC Qualifier
    my charger stores my batteries at 7.6v, 3.8v per cell

Yes, 3.85v/cell... ish.

RC Qualifier
    on the topic of "Store or not to store" Lets say like today i was doing some test runs on a new suspension set up on my little test track in my yard(if you can call it a track) more like a 2 180 degree turns one straight is flat one straight has a set of triples on it. It give me a control test area that i can compare set ups on. Anyway i was done before LVC. I came in to store the battery and clean up my RC and battery volts were exactly 7.6 (3.80 per cell). Is it necessary to run a storage mode on the battery since its already at a safe storage voltage?

You are fine to leave them where they are at.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    You are fine to leave them where they are at.
    Thanks Jimmie N. Thats kinda what i thought. But i ran storage anyway and i shut it off after 30 mins of no activity. Next time ill save a little on the power bill and just put back in the fire safe. Yes i store my batteries in a lipo bag in a fire proof safe.