Thread: Back to RC

RC Competitor

Back to RC

Hey, all. I'm a new member here and just got back into RC after being out for a loooong time. Back before Lipos and brushless motors were the norm! Anyway, I picked up a Merv and love this little thing. At first, it was a little frustrating having to constantly go and flip it back over but after a few upgrades..... this thing rocks and handles great! Looking forward to modding it and learning from you guys!

RC Qualifier
    Nice camera work. Canon T1i here with a backpack of goodies.

RC Racer
    Good looking pics and car.

Remember when 20 mph was fast! I need to upgrade my mechanical speed controller so I can drop a few turns on my motor! haha Modern R/C is amazing! but I miss some of the old stuff too!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by custmemaxx1 View Post
    Good looking pics and car.

Remember when 20 mph was fast! I need to upgrade my mechanical speed controller so I can drop a few turns on my motor! haha Modern R/C is amazing! but I miss some of the old stuff too!
    Thanks!

Exactly. Upgrading the speed controller to a ESC was the main mod when I was getting out of it. lol Old school! I had a couple Stampedes. They were a lot of fun but nothing near as fast as this little Revo on 3S!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldrcguy View Post
    Nice camera work. Canon T1i here with a backpack of goodies.
    Thanks! I shoot with a Nikon D600, D7000, D300S, D3100, and many goodies as well. The little Revo photographs well.

Does anyone know if Traxxas makes the anodized wheelie bar wheels for the 1/16?

RC Champion
    The ones for the 1/10 will bolt right on...

--
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Awesome..... thanks!!! I'll be getting a set of the blues. Love the wheelie bar on this thing. It allows ya to be a little less cautious with the throttle. On the gas and haulin' *ss!

Does anyone know what this hole by the top left a-arm is for?

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Might I ask you what mods you did to make it more stable?

I am seriously thinking of trading my heavily modded revo for a stock VXL stampede, because I am so annoyed with having to constantly restablize the truck when I'm doing speed runs and when I do wipe out, having to roll the truck over.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by imnew View Post
    Might I ask you what mods you did to make it more stable?

I am seriously thinking of trading my heavily modded revo for a stock VXL stampede, because I am so annoyed with having to constantly restablize the truck when I'm doing speed runs and when I do wipe out, having to roll the truck over.
    Desperado .5 offset wheels with Dirthawgs, tan springs with 50 wt oil in front, and black springs with 60 wt in the rear. That combined with lower ride height and better throttle control = MUCH less roll overs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
    Does anyone know what this hole by the top left a-arm is for?

That is a hole in the bulkhead, not the arm. The hole is there for the bulkhead screw to pass through. The head of it is behind the arm pin.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    That is a hole in the bulkhead, not the arm. The hole is there for the bulkhead screw to pass through. The head of it is behind the arm pin.
    Still by the a-arm. lol Thanks, though. I had no idea what it was or if it was normal.

Normal... but your RC is too clean.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I been running it mostly on pavement and I usually hit it with compressed air when I get home. I just installed rpm arms all the way around and gave it an extra good cleaning while it was apart. I'm picking up an ERBE in 2 weeks and that one will surely be my dirty offroad king.

So, a little update. I'm really enjoying this little speed demon. After getting the dreaded "clicking", I tore it down and shimmed both the front and rear diffs..... replacing with new bulkheads and diffs in the process. Problem solved.

Just an FYI but Kyosho Part #96644 is a shim set that also works for shimming diffs. Comes with .3, .2, and .1 size shims. About 10 of each I think.

I am only a week away from getting big brother 1/10. I think it will be set up for off road while the Merv stays low and on road.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-30-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Our rc story sounds almost the same! My last rc car before the revo was a Kyosho Ultima with all sorts of upgrades. Decent car but not by today's standards, I am having why more fun with this little guy then anything in the past. Great pics and let us know when you get the 1/10, I am thinking about doing the same!

RC Competitor
    Yeah, things have changed in the RC world for sure. Thankfully! Looking forward to a full size truck and a Mamba Monster to bash with.

Why on earth would a mod feel the need to needlessly merge(mess with) my two previous posts? Hope this forum is a bit more relaxed than THAT or members will find another one that is.

RC Racer
    Good to hear that you are having a blast, forum mods here are strict when it comes to traxxas rules, but you wont get much more community help at other forums when it comes specifically to the merv

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I understand enforcing rules but to needlessly edit and merge posts is a sign of a very bored and controlling moderator. My posts broke no rules at all. It's no biggie.... I just don't appreciate having my posts touched by someone else for no real reason at all.

RC Racer
    but not much we can do about it bro.

Edited for bypassing the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2013 at 07:31 PM.

RC Competitor
    New body and quickie paint job. I'm going to have my next few bodies professionally painted. One will be an Iron Maiden theme(Eddie).

Does anyone know if we are allowed to talk about other brand's cars/trucks/buggies? I've decided to purchase a RC8.2E Factory Team edition and will be putting in a Tekin RX8/T8 system. Pumped for that build!
    Last edited by ImageX; 05-07-2013 at 06:59 PM.

RC Competitor
    hey man nice car, which wheelie bar do you have ? i need to get one for mine

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisiq93 View Post
    hey man nice car, which wheelie bar do you have ? i need to get one for mine
    Thanks. That's the Traxxas wheelie bar with stock wheels in the first pics. Here it is with the upgraded aluminum wheels(and bearings). It's night and day difference between the two. Wheelies are so smooth and quiet. The stock plastic wheels sound just like the wing scraping when they touch down. Either way, I love the wheelie bar and it's well worth the money with the upgrade wheels.

RC Competitor
    Thanks. That's the Traxxas wheelie bar with stock wheels in the first pics. Here it is with the upgraded aluminum wheels(and bearings). It's night and day difference between the two. Wheelies are so smooth and quiet. The stock plastic wheels sound just like the wing scraping when they touch down. Either way, I love the wheelie bar and it's well worth the money with the upgrade wheels.

thanks that looks good !

Does anyone know if we are allowed to talk about other brand's cars/trucks/buggies? I've decided to purchase a RC8.2E Factory Team edition and will be putting in a Tekin RX8/T8 system. Pumped for that build!

Other than what you just stated, no. I wish we could too... once upon a time you could, but now it is against the rules.
    I would have loved to have this community be a part of my MT4G3 build... probably the same as you would love this community to be a part of your RC8 build.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Other than what you just stated, no. I wish we could too... once upon a time you could, but now it is against the rules.
    I would have loved to have this community be a part of my MT4G3 build... probably the same as you would love this community to be a part of your RC8 build.
    Ok, thanks, Jimmie. I understand banning links to competitors websites for sales reasons but they are really suppressing vast amounts of RC hobby info in general. I'm guessing something bad happened or that there is very good reason for the censorship. Either way... rules are rules I guess.

From what I understand the threads became more of a "this is better than the Traxxas _____" than threads of "this is what I am doing with "brand x".

I understand banning links to competitors websites for sales reasons . . .
    It's not for sales reasons, it's for copyright reasons. The one company that cannot be mentioned illegally copies Traxxas' connectors. Why would Traxxas want that company's products being promoted on Traxxas' website?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Not my site at all...but i think it would be cool to have one small sub section where we could discuss our "other brand
    " rc cars.
    It would be really easy to monitor to make sure than no Traxxas bashing was going on.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Nice shots, and nice job on that lid, looks great with a nice vibrant color

RC Qualifier
    Hey, all. I'm a new member here and just got back into RC after being out for a loooong time. Back before Lipos and brushless motors were the norm! Anyway, I picked up a Merv and love this little thing. At first, it was a little frustrating having to constantly go and flip it back over but after a few upgrades..... this thing rocks and handles great! Looking forward to modding it and learning from you guys!

Nice! I finally got back into it after the long cold winter months.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    It's not for sales reasons, it's for copyright reasons. The one company that cannot be mentioned illegally copies Traxxas' connectors. Why would Traxxas want that company's products being promoted on Traxxas' website?
    Thanks but I would appreciate it if you would stop deleting and editing posts that don't break any rules whatsoever.... unless they are your own posts of course. That's how members get chased off to help strengthen other forums instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    Not my site at all...but i think it would be cool to have one small sub section where we could discuss our "other brand
    " rc cars.
    It would be really easy to monitor to make sure than no Traxxas bashing was going on.
    You would think it would be easier that way..... while helping to grow the board, members, and content.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-09-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    There are many members here who own more than one brand of rc...and would like to show them off.
    It's not a reflection against Traxxas or anything.
    I think it would be really simple...

1. Posts,pictures,and discussion pertaining to brands other than Traxxas would be restricted to that section only.
    2. Buying,selling of non Traxxas cars,parts(unless installed on a Traxxas car) would still be prohibited.
    3. No bashing of any Traxxas product would be allowed(including but not limited to "I bought this because it's better than a Traxxas").
    4. No X-Brand vs. Traxxas posts.
    5. Banned brands would still be "BANNED" and not allowed to be discussed or shown.

Basically,all of the same rules currently in place would remain...with the exception of one small forum where we could post pics and discuss our X-Brand cars.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

Okay, one thing seems pretty clear to me: this thread has gone completely off topic and it has no chance of going back on topic. Given that, I am going to close it.

ImageX: You clearly disagree with the forum policies, and that's fine. At the end of the day, however, you agreed to those policies when you signed up for an account here.

Thread Closed.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle