RC poster

dual H2O pick up rudder

I want to put on a dual pickup rudder. I would like to put on a longer one. I have been reading where a longer one will help with chine. Is there a longer one avaliable that will bolt on to the existing stock bracket? If I go with a longer one, with a aftermarket baracket, will the stearing push rod from the servo still fit? If not, what do I do?

RC Qualifier
    The place where I got my rudder (and other stuff too) is from Off Shore Electronics. They have all kinds of goodies for our Spartan boats.

RC poster
    RD
    Thanks, I have been looking on that site. will a longer rudder help with chine? If I go with a different mounting bracket for the rudder, and it is farther back than the stock bracket, I will need a longer stearing push rod, correct? Where do I get one or can I make one?

RC Competitor
    Chine walk happens because the boats COG. So, a longer rudder will not help. A heavier transom however could help if you have too much weight too far forward.

Deep V's should have a center of gravity of 27-30% of the length of the hull on the back half of it. So first I would try to find the closest COG to 27-30% of your hull length, and then from there adjust batteries until you get close. If it's still too light in the back, a heavier transom would help with chine walk. A Heavier transom could include a bigger rudder.

RC Qualifier
    I have always wondered is the CoG measured starting from the rear to the front? I would think that makes sense, no?

RC Competitor
    Yea it's measured from the transom (rear)

RC Qualifier
    Its funny how the more I shift the batteries towards the rear, the faster and more stable it gets on calm water. I figured it would get faster but didnt realize about the stable part. Like you said, the chine is much less as well!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnfast View Post
    Its funny how the more I shift the batteries towards the rear, the faster and more stable it gets on calm water. I figured it would get faster but didnt realize about the stable part. Like you said, the chine is much less as well!
    That's good to hear! Always willing to help a brotha out!