Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Car Enthusiasts what would you look for?

I have now an 03 Forester x, not the exciting XT.

The XT would be nice, but I don't see spending money to get the same car I already have in a different color with a more powerful engine. So I am trying to decide what I will be looking for in the future.

Requirements:
    Rear seat must fit a car-seat without moving the front seats-very important to me.

Needs to be fun to drive at least a hint of performance.

I would really like a manual transmission, but its not "required".

Nothing that I can't fix myself with basic tools and a scanner and access to a bigger more powerful snap on one as well.

No requirement of being new, in fact, new will not be happening...but not so old that I would be worrying about having to replace an engine, transmission, or differential.

Finally some power, 300hp or better.

Also, decent fuel economy I'm looking at around 30MPG hwy and 20 city there abouts.

With all the autophiles on this site I figured this would be a great place to ask and please comment on brands as well that you would avoid, cost of paint and bodywork, anything and everything that you yourself look at when deciding on a purchase like this.

My considerations so far,

Hyundai Genesis
    2010+ Subaru legacy

Edit-forgot to add another important requirement-NO FWD-AWD or RWD.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 04-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Racer
    2008 civic sedan si mugen

I like civics, but I am past the age of wanting to drive an econobox sporty or not. Also, really want a RWD or AWD.

RC Racer
    Subaru wrx?

RC Champion
    Look up the tesla model s. All electric 7 seat 4 door sedan with over 120mpge and only 1 speed. No shifting required. And about 305 hp. Look it up.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

WRX-doesn't meet the carseat requirement and that alone is a deal breaker.

Tesla-http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options-if money were no object I still wouldn't buy one. That car costs more than my house, by about $10k. We bought really cheap in 02 but still...

Sounds like a similar predicament that im in right now. I have a 2010 FWD GMC Terrain with the 2.4L, been thinking about trading it in recently and i was all but dead set on buying a new 2013 AWD Terrain V6 and started thinking what fun is the new car smell when its the same car with a couple different options.
    After a couple weeks of relentless searching and comparing i decided on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland model.

If you are a fan of the Scoobie, i would certainly look at the 3.6 Legacy
    They were on my short list till i decided to keep the SUV factor.
    (RAH)≤ (AH)≥ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)≤ + (OOH)(LA)≤

I like the legacy, me and the wife went to the local unveiling when the 10's were just being shown and it was super nice and roomy enough for what i want. I was dead set on getting one, when the prices came down, but I also drove a Genesis Rspec at The international auto show I was hooked. A few years removed from both experiences and I want to do a lot of shopping so I don't end up getting something I will tire of in a few years. My wife has a Tribeca and it hardly has room for the car-seat either, but she is normal female size and I am 6'1" so I like my leg room and I like when others ride with me that they have enough room as well. But the power delivery of the 3.0 is really nice, so I know the 3.6 would be more than adequate, but MPG is not great with the 5spd auto.

I only have experience with a handful of manufacturers so I wanted to throw this out there to get a broader idea of what would fit my expectations.

RC Champion
    New or Used 11-14 Mustang v6 would be a consideration if you could get a car seat back there, I dont know if you can or not. Used Legacy 2.5gt, used bmw 3 series, Maybe a used Audi
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Mustangs aren't really my taste, and they are 2-door must have 4-doors that open nice and wide. Definitely looking at the Legacy, and looking through BMW/Mercedes (used of course), not sure about Audi (parts prices and what not), given all the electronics issues with used VWs I am going to stay away from those as well.

Any thoughts on BMW/Mercedes/Audi as far as being able to maintain them without specialized tools that are impossible to buy. And about their reliability long term.

Also since my baby will be riding along-safety is above all that was our original reason for buying Subarus.

Edit-the wheels are turning in my head now...thanks for all the replies so far please keep them coming!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Mustangs aren't really my taste, and they are 2-door must have 4-doors that open nice and wide. Definitely looking at the Legacy, and looking through BMW/Mercedes (used of course), not sure about Audi (parts prices and what not), given all the electronics issues with used VWs I am going to stay away from those as well.

Any thoughts on BMW/Mercedes/Audi as far as being able to maintain them without specialized tools that are impossible to buy. And about their reliability long term.

Also since my baby will be riding along-safety is above all that was our original reason for buying Subarus.

Edit-the wheels are turning in my head now...thanks for all the replies so far please keep them coming!!

My dad has had no problems with them, except for when he had a leased 5 series, but those problems were after an accident that damaged the frame (Collision on a freeway), so the 3 series may be a good car for you if you can find the right deal, which may take some time

Time I have, lol!

RC Racer
    What about a pontiac G8? I imagine you should be a ble to find one with low miles at a good price.
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

The issues I see there are parts availability, like body and interior parts specific to the brand. And unfortunately on GM products the parts that are out of production usually need replacing first. And the fuel economy sucks.

RC Champion
    New 300's are gorgeous inside and out, power to boot and everything about them is good. Chargers alike, $45k USD for an SRT8 are you kidding me?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'm not a Camaro guy, but I saw this thing and I have to say its nice!!
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    Touch a pebble in that and you wreck your $124 rims though...

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    Car seat definitely wouldn't fit in that! Wife would not approve. I do like the chargers, but I will need to see some much better reliability out of chrysler before I put any money into one.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    Someone ruined a very nice car with some way to big ugly rims !

Car seat definitely wouldn't fit in that! Wife would not approve. I do like the chargers, but I will need to see some much better reliability out of chrysler before I put any money into one.
    A car seat will fit in the back seat. Its a tight fit but it will work !

RC Champion
    Last years model of the ford fusion was available in AWD also if you can find one

RC Racer
    1999 or newer bmw 328i which is rear wheel drive parts are not that expensive. 4 door roomy for a car seat or you could get a 328xi which is all wheel drive and the same interior size. an 328i goes for $5500 around me but i dont know what the xi is going for

RC Champion
    Have you looked into the new Cross trek from Subaru. I know not another forester, but these are sweet. 8" of ground clearance, AWD, 5spd or CVT and 28/31 mpg?
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    I vote the Ford Taurus SHO. AWD, well over 300hp, 4 doors and sweet looking.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

Basically you want your cake and eat it too.
    A 4 door 300 HP vehicle not too expensive, Wife approved for the kiddies and good gas mileage...

Now that's a tall order... Only thing I can think of is a newer model Dodge Charger....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Last years model of the ford fusion was available in AWD also if you can find one
    FWD based awd doesn't work like it should. Subaru's system is IMO the best so any potential purchase would have to be as good or rwd based.

Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    Have you looked into the new Cross trek from Subaru. I know not another forester, but these are sweet. 8" of ground clearance, AWD, 5spd or CVT and 28/31 mpg?
    Cross trek is too small, smaller than the forester and grossly underpowered. Very sweet looking vehicle though I like it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Wheels View Post
    I vote the Ford Taurus SHO. AWD, well over 300hp, 4 doors and sweet looking.
    Same deal as the fusion, Taurus is a nice looking car, but all that power to the front wheels and possibly the back, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Basically you want your cake and eat it too.
    A 4 door 300 HP vehicle not too expensive, Wife approved for the kiddies and good gas mileage...

Now that's a tall order... Only thing I can think of is a newer model Dodge Charger....
    You hit that nail on the head, I really like the looks and attitude of the charger. Especially the simple but muscular looking design, I will definitely be looking at it. Build quality and safety may be an issue though.

Basically my list now:
    Genesis
    Legacy
    Charger
    5 series BMW- found a few on autotrader right in my price range.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 04-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    What about a Mazda 6?

Sent from an Otterboxed iPod touch
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Racer
    What about this

Volkswagen GTI 4 Door
    - Base price: $25,019
    - 200 hp, 207 lb-ft of torque
    - Inexpensive, refined performance Volkswagen's Golf hatchback is a fairly basic mode of transportation, but in GTI trim it's a whole new car. Available in two-door and four-door variations, the latter GTI model is the obvious family choice. With its welcoming sticker price of $25,019 (including $750 for destination), the GTI should top the list of anyone looking for a budget-minded family sportster. VW's performance hatchback utilizes a 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 that makes 200 hp and 207 lb-ft of torque that can be mated with either of two transmissions -- a six-speed manual or a six-speed dual-clutch automatic (which costs an extra $1100). To keep the GTI's price in check and maintain its sporty characteristics, we prefer the slick stick shift. Standard seventeen-inch wheels give the GTI some extra styling, although eighteen-inch rolling stock is available for more dough. The significant cost and smaller sidewalls of the upsized wheels contributes to diminished comfort, so we lean toward the stock equipment. An aggressive fascia paired with red brake calipers lets everyone know the car isn't a standard Golf. VW claims that the four-door stick-shift car can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 6.7 seconds, while returning 21 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. A track-tuned suspension and so-called XDS differential (which acts like a limited-slip differential) make the GTI perfect for the occasional autocross outing.
    Last edited by Crazyman94; 04-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Drive it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRCMan View Post
    What about a Mazda 6?

Sent from an Otterboxed iPod touch
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman94 View Post
    What about this

Volkswagen GTI 4 Door
    - Base price: $25,019
    - 200 hp, 207 lb-ft of torque
    - Inexpensive, refined performance Volkswagen's Golf hatchback is a fairly basic mode of transportation, but in GTI trim it's a whole new car. Available in two-door and four-door variations, the latter GTI model is the obvious family choice. With its welcoming sticker price of $25,019 (including $750 for destination), the GTI should top the list of anyone looking for a budget-minded family sportster. VW's performance hatchback utilizes a 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 that makes 200 hp and 207 lb-ft of torque that can be mated with either of two transmissions -- a six-speed manual or a six-speed dual-clutch automatic (which costs an extra $1100). To keep the GTI's price in check and maintain its sporty characteristics, we prefer the slick stick shift. Standard seventeen-inch wheels give the GTI some extra styling, although eighteen-inch rolling stock is available for more dough. The significant cost and smaller sidewalls of the upsized wheels contributes to diminished comfort, so we lean toward the stock equipment. An aggressive fascia paired with red brake calipers lets everyone know the car isn't a standard Golf. VW claims that the four-door stick-shift car can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 6.7 seconds, while returning 21 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. A track-tuned suspension and so-called XDS differential (which acts like a limited-slip differential) make the GTI perfect for the occasional autocross outing.
    Both FWD big time deal breaker for me. Not sure about VW long term reliability most people that I know who owned them dumped them before the warranty was up.

RC Racer
    Whats your price range

Under 20k I am in no hurry and am not looking for a new car, I am happy letting some one else pay for depreciation.

Edit-In case anyone missed it:
    Requirements: car seat must fit with room to spare.
    4 door^^
    sporty-ish
    Rear or AWD (no FWD based systems)
    30mpg hwy and 20 mpg city
    Serviceable by a home mechanic.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 04-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.

RC Racer
    lol all i can find is FWD

^^^LOL you have to set a lot of filters, a lot! I have found a few BMWs a 535 and 335 locally for around 14k, and they are at the subaru dealer, lol. Gotta take the wifes car in for a recall soon so might check them out.

RC Racer
    2013 Suzuki Kizashi 2.4L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic

Here is a link to the review http://www.edmunds.com/suzuki/kizashi/2013/ + it can have AWD
    Last edited by Crazyman94; 04-12-2013 at 09:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    What about a Ford flex. You can get awd, eco tech, pushing like 385 hp, mileage in the 20,s and all of the room you would need. You can get two rows of captain seats. I am on the hunt for a pearl white one with the aluminum trim panels. Just my .02.

Is my phone smarter than me?
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    What about a Ford flex. You can get awd, eco tech, pushing like 385 hp, mileage in the 20,s and all of the room you would need. You can get two rows of captain seats. I am on the hunt for a pearl white one with the aluminum trim panels. Just my .02.

Is my phone smarter than me?
    The 2011 Ford Flex looks good but the Mpg is 16/22

Sorry guys, but the flex is FWD based, and IMO one of the ugliest things ford has made recently. FORD, turbo, and reliable are rarely used in a positive manner. Suzuki same thing FWD based although I have heard good things about their awd I don't think I would buy one personally. GM ruined suzuki...sorry if that is out of left field I was reading an article on the kizashi apparently suzuki isn't selling in the US anymore.

RC Racer
    the 2010 Ford Fusion is awd but its fwd based

I am kind of getting scared of the thought of relying on a used BMW...too many bad stories...funniest quote so far
    There is no long term reliability for a modern BMW. If you want reliability buy a Hyundai. If you want the Ultimate Driving Machine, there is no substitute for a BMW.
    I can imagine bringing my friends out to my backyard and showing them my BMW up on jack stands and telling them "that's the ultimate driving machine right there!"
    Last edited by rjm2519; 04-12-2013 at 11:47 PM.

RC Racer
    I am kind of getting scared of the thought of relying on a used BMW...too many bad stories...funniest quote so far
    What part of Florida do you live in btw?

I live right between Orlando and Tampa, close to everything and nothing all at the same time!