RC poster

How can I confirming that low voltage detection is on?

tl;dr - Is there any way to tell on a brushless E-Revo if LVD is on?

I followed the instructions in the manual for enabling LVD, but as far as I can tell there is no way to actually confirm I did it correctly. Maybe I'm missing something.

The procedure required that I use the TQi transmitter to cycle through a series of programming options from the Mamba Monster ESC. Since there is no visual to show me what option I am on, the system beeps in specific patterns to indicate which option I am on. I navigated the beeps until the ESC beeped 7 times, paused and then beeped 2 more times. According to the manual, this signified I was at the low voltage detection option and to confirm that I wanted low voltage detection on, I was supposed to "hold the throttle to confirm" my selection.

I held the throttle, the system made two quick beeps, then it beeped 8 times, paused and beeped once more. I then shut the ESC off. Did I do it right? What is the deal with all the beeps at the end? Did I just enter into mode 8, option 1? Does that mean I messed up?

Is there any way I can verify that low voltage detection is now on?

p.s.
    I am trying to enable LVD because I am going to be using some lipos. If I switch back to Nimh, do I have to go through that all over again to shut LVD off? Seems like a lot of work for something simple. I noticed on some of the other car models, turning LVD on and off just requires you hold down a button.

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    get yourself a castle USB link or a field link. I keep telling everyone about this and yet I don't have one my own LOL.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have both. Wouldn't want to go without!
    You should get one to dial it.in too

If you have it set correctly and you turn your truck on it beep the number of cells you have hooked up
    Last edited by 50togo; 04-10-2013 at 11:26 PM.

RC poster
    Seems ridiculous that I have to make an additional purchase just to check whether LVD is on or off. Traxxas makes this huge deal in the manual that LVD better be on if you're going to use lipo, or you could destroy the bateries etc., but there is no way for me to verify whether it is or isn't.

I guess I just need to know what is supposed to happen after I pull the throttle to confirm mode 7, option 2 (LVD on). After pulling the throttle to confirm, I heard 8 beeps, a pause, and then 1 beep. I don't know if that means I did it right, or what.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you read the manual it says the lvd is set on from the factory
    Put your batteries in turn the transmitter on and then turn the esc on. It should beep 4 times for a 4s battery then pauses and beeps again if all is good
    The extra purchase for the castle link gives you more tuning options - like throttle curve and brake curve

RC poster
    Yeah, it makes those 4 beeps, pauses and then 4 beeps again. Does that mean LVD is on?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You should be good. Most of my rides I stop before it hits the lvd. That way if its at 3,8v per cell I don't even have to do a storage charge
    Do you have a voltmeter? Drive it and every 20 minutes stop and check the voltage and put it back in and drive it til you either hit lvd or by checking will know when you should be there

RC poster
    Yes, I think I do have a version of a voltmeter as part of the Traxxas iPhone app now that I think about it...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sghawkeyes View Post
    Seems ridiculous that I have to make an additional purchase just to check whether LVD is on or off. Traxxas makes this huge deal in the manual that LVD better be on if you're going to use lipo, or you could destroy the bateries etc., but there is no way for me to verify whether it is or isn't.

I guess I just need to know what is supposed to happen after I pull the throttle to confirm mode 7, option 2 (LVD on). After pulling the throttle to confirm, I heard 8 beeps, a pause, and then 1 beep. I don't know if that means I did it right, or what.
    go look at your driver's ed guide.....at the very last page you see the castle car ESC programming reference. read the manual programming at page 20, once you accesss programming mode you will hear 1-1 beep then look back at the last page again as your reference. to choose options you use your transmitter trigger for YES (full throttle) or NO (full brake) then you hear mutiple beep confirming changes has been accepted. make sure to go thru all the programming 1 to 9 or nothing will be stored of what you've just change.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    for the cost the field link is worth the money, you strap it on and you able to do a lot in the field, plug it onto the laptop and then it really get pretty technical you can adjust just about everything...

its a good bit of kit.. quick eand easy to use. I set m ypunch, power curbs, brake settings and LVC to my likeing and couldnt imagine not doing so as the truck was far too much on 6s without a little punch assist and my own curbs..

RC Competitor
    Driver's Ed Guide that the ESC low voltage is set at setting 2(default/3.2volt) but 3s 11.1volt needs to be set at setting 5(9volt)?? Am I doing the right thing setting at setting 5 !?!?!?!?!?!? Or sould I go back to default setting? My buddy claimed to have wiped out his battery by running it to low(on default), but now says it looks like he damaged one of his lipos after a wild landing that cracked his chassis. Confused again!!

RC Qualifier
    Get the castle link. It's worth the 25 bucks.