Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock Question

RC Racer

Shock Question

So I just re did the whole front end of my truck and i put it all together! I only have the big bores on the front right now and the front end seems to sit real low and is A LOT less "springy" than the stock set up in the back.. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? Maybe not enough oil in the shocks? I need different weight oil? (used what traxxas gave me) it just seems really odd to me so i thought i would ask.. Now i'm off to but the big bores on the back.

Springs, you need some, the stock red ones should be illegal.
    The red ones are very weak, your truck will benfit greatly with better springs, the white traxxas progessive are a good choice, ebay search e maxx springs for some duel rate springs.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    So the big bore red springs are different than the stock red springs? cause I still have the back completely stock and its "springy" and pops itself up when i push down and the front does not.. Just wondering

Just put the batteries in just to mess around in the house for a sec and when i go in reverse the front end hits the ground.. Are these red springs really that bad or is there also something else?
    Last edited by Skink910; 04-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Check your pivot ball caps, if they are over tight your suspension isn't going to rebound like it's supposed to.

All the red springs are weak, putting some stronger springs on your will make for a better handling truck overall.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7227

Are these the springs that would be recommended? Or should I look for different ones?

Also how lose/tight should the pivot ball caps be? I havent ever really touched them.. I would assume just like finger tight?
    Last edited by Skink910; 04-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Those are it for the maxx shocks. Ebay has some nice dual rates too.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Skink910 View Post
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7227

Also how lose/tight should the pivot ball caps be? I havent ever really touched them.. I would assume just like finger tight?
    finger tight is maybe too tight.
    I tighten mine just so i feel the resistance, check the knuckle for movement by rocking the top and bottom, If there is no movement loosen a little,chack again. I have about 1-2mm of play by rocking the knuckle. Your steering will work better too.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Racer
    ive heard tighten them down then back it off 1\8-1\4 turn

RC Champion
    Depends how hard you tightened it down, there is a rubber cap that still might give too much resistance when turned back 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn.

RC Racer
    I've tried with the pivot ball adjustments and its still really lose and almost dead.. Ill take some pictures soon so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Hopefully its just the springs, would the shock oil cause anything to do with it?

RC Racer
    Here are some pictures! Let me know if you guys want/need to see anything else, I can always take more!

[IMG][/IMG]
    This is where is just normally sits

[IMG][/IMG]
    This is where it comes up to after i push it down and let it rise on its own

[IMG][/IMG]
    This is it just sitting normal
    Last edited by Skink910; 04-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.

RC Champion
    Do people use the spacers with them. What oil are you using.
    Did you know your front wheels are on the wrong sides

RC Racer
    I don't have any spacers on and I'm just using the oil that the big bores came with. And no I'm just noticing that lol I just threw them on real quick for the pictures, thanks! :P

I still think you may have some binding in the suspension.

Pivot ball caps, tighten them till they just touch the pivot balls.
    Without the shocks on it the arms/axle carriers should be very free with no binding.
    Adjust the caps if there is any binding or slop in the axle carriers.
    Check the hinge pins if there is binding in the arms.

The clips are called ride height spacers, and even with none the front of your truck should not be that low.

Shock oil will do nothing for ride height, what it does do is dampen the spring rebound so the truck doesn't bounce like a ball.

How tight are the RPM arms to the bulkheads?
    That is a known place that needs sanded down to prevent the arms from binding.

What exactly did you do/put in to the front end?

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    If you don't have enough oil in your shocks they also will not rebound fully. Also did you have any spacers on your other shocks?

RC Champion
    Using heavy oil makes more resistance for the springs to push back up. Using too light of oil or no oil makes little resistance so the springs do all the work and on there own they can't handle the weight of the truck.
    Put the shocks on the inside holes on the bottom a arms and make some spacers to see if that helps before buying new springs/oil.
    They oil may of leaked out or the springs might not be upto the job no more

Shock oil has no influence on ride height, that's all on the springs, even if the shocks are empty of shock fluid the springs should still push the truck back up to the set ride height.

When I was still running 8 shocks I had torn up the seals in the rear shocks & all of the rears were only about 15% filled with fluid & the only way you could tell the shocks where emptied of fluid was the back end of the truck bounced like a $200 Hoopty with no shocks in it.

Handling was horrible & it bounced & body rolled like a rubber ball but the ride height didn't change.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 04-12-2013 at 03:59 AM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    It has no influence while static, but when it's moving it plays a part.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Shock oil has no influence on ride height, that's all on the springs, even if the shocks are empty of shock fluid the springs should still push the truck back up to the set ride height.

When I was still running 8 shocks I had torn up the seals in the rear shocks & all of the rears were only about 15% filled with fluid & the only way you could tell the shocks where emptied of fluid was the back end of the truck bounced like a $200 Hoopty with no shocks in it.

Handling was horrible & it bounced & body rolled like a rubber ball but the ride height didn't change.
    I have had the opposite effect with shocks that were not filled correctly. They were under full and would not rebound fully. Once they were topped up and air taken out of them they worked perfectly. And i have had this happen with shocks that were leaking and shocks that i did not fill properly.
    Do the springs feel loose when you lift the truck up to full height? I have a tmaxx that right from new i had to run spacers as when it was sitting at static height their was no tension on the spring so it was actually sitting low. I actually just ran into it again with the emaxx i just bought the other day and i dont run my rc's jacked up i keep the suspension level and low.

Is their any length difference between the new shocks and old? Wondering if possibly they gave you a shorter shock by mistake

RC Competitor
    Don't know if anyone suggested to take the shocks off and move the suspension by hand to check for binding?

RC Competitor
    i have same exact set up on my e maxx. i just put alot of spacers to adjust the hieght. the oil that comes with the big bores is way to thin. i switched to 60w silicone oil right away. im going to get stiffer springs soon. because i tried the stock springs with the big bores. it was the problem. they just dont set right on the big bores.

RC Racer
    Hey guys thanks so much! I haven't been able to respond lately cause I was out in the middle of nowhere at my buddy's cabin filming a movie for school. I just got back today and will be looking at the truck soon. As to what I did to the front end I replaced almost everything. I put GH bulks with rpm arms/towers, I also put on big bore shocks and replaced the axles with another stock set.

RC Racer
    I took a look at the a arms today and they definitely had binding, I sanded them down and made sure they moved freely without the shocks, they do. So than I preceded to put everything back together and added the big bores to the rear as well. The rear sits a little lower but not much and the front is still pretty low. I don't have any spacers on the big bores at all and I'm using the stock oil that traxxas gave me. If I add a spacer or two and maybe change to a heavier wt oil will that solve my issue?

RC Champion
    heavier oil requires stronger springs to push it back up. While it's sitting there heavy oil will help keep the shocks extended.
    Every time you land a jump with heavy oil the shocks will compress more and more and not extend.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    heavier oil requires stronger springs to push it back up. While it's sitting there heavy oil will help keep the shocks extended.
    Every time you land a jump with heavy oil the shocks will compress more and more and not extend.
    So I should probably just add spacers and see if that helps?

RC Enthusiast
    if you don't think the suspension is binding, throw in preload until the a-arms are level with the ground. if you want it taller or springier just ad preload until it feels right. as for oil make sure they are completely filled and have no bubbles, as this will make the suspension act like crap. hope this helps.

RC Champion
    Ya, spacers compress the spring and make it harder for the shock to compress. RC Raven makes great dual rates, or just ebay in general, and check out your local Ace, most hardware stores carry springs, and if you can get some that are the right size, they're almost garunted to be better than stock.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Racer
    How many oz of shock oil is needed to refill all the shocks

RC Champion
    Like 1. If that, depends on how much you spill, but a 2 oz bottle will do big bores or ultra shocks all around twice, if not more.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

Quote Originally Posted by Skink910 View Post
    So I should probably just add spacers and see if that helps?
    What you really need is stiffer springs, the stock red ones are like 2.1 in lbs.

The traxxas white progressive springs are a good choice, so are the duel rates on ebay, AE MGT springs also fit & are available in 4 different rates.

The clips are for setting the ride height, not stiffing the weak springs.

Why they include the weak red springs with the BB's & not the progressive springs is beyond me.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    ok looking at buying 50w shock oil and integy spring set

RC Competitor
    I use 50w shock oil. It does pretty good. Handles well and doesn't bottom out as hard. Yet still flexes easily when crawling.

RC Racer
    Ok I just need a stiffer set up with the mm2 too soft so I can't jump it safely ( not breaking anything)

RC Racer
    The clips are for setting the ride height, not stiffing the weak springs.
    That is what I am having the problem with, the truck sits way too low.. I will probably pick up a new set of springs as well just because all I have heard about the red ones are horror stories.

RC Racer
    In my opinion the white traxxas spring arnt much different that's y I'm getting an integy 40pc spring set and prolly using green springs

RC Racer
    Just ran the truck and it runs good, but the front end taps when I brake hard. Im thinking its gotta be the dumb red springs...So Im gonna pick up a new set of springs, but I dont know which ones yet.. Are the dual rates that everyone has been talking about these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Maxx-or-E-...item565565b003

If not which ones? Also are these good springs? Any other recommendations are great!

RC Racer
    Ive heard bad things about integy being cheap about other parts.. Is that not the case when it comes to springs? Ive seen a lot of people running springs from this set http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTH4&P=7.

RC Racer
    Yea I have to and it will be nice because if I want to do some road running I put soft ones on. If I want to bash the the heck out of it I will put the harder ones on. The set gives u tons of suspension set ups

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Okay so after looking around I think the Integy's are what I am gonna go with. Does Integy sell each of the different springs separately or do I have to buy the whole 40pc set?