RC Competitor

very disappointed

My vxl mustang constantly needs service and repair. When running on pavement little rocks always get caught in the front and rear center drive shafts and destroys it. To top it off rocks also get caught in the spur and pinion area damaging the teeth on the spur. Maybe its a bad design of chassis. Is this a common issue? Do any of you have this problem?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ive run nearly a dozen different 1/16 rallies and have had stuff get in the drive shaft area but never to the point where it ruined the driveshafts. What type of surface are your running on? Ive put hundreds of packs through my 1/16 onroad cars on a mix of clean and dirty pavement (and I mean DIRTY) and have never had a rock ruin the spur OR be the cause of a failed driveshaft... strange situation man.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I have to agree with you pavmentsurfer.
    I've beat the heck out of my KB...and never had those issues.
    Only time a rock ever caused an issue for me...it got stuck in a wheel and i thought I had broken something.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    And I hate to be "that guy", but it may just be where/how you drive.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Competitor
    I was running on fairly dirty pavement. I was doing high speed runs back and forth. At the end of the straights, I brake hard and the car does 360 spin outs but I was still in control not like I was going to crash. But when I just bash around at slower speeds without spinouts the rock issue is not a problem. Its wierd , because my other rc truck I beat on it off road in dirt and this doesn't happen.so maybe its this 1/16 chassis design is flawed lol.

RC Champion
    i run my mini summit, and mini slash in my yard. i get little branches caught in a-arms, axles. but still never broke a stock axle yet. i go through servos often. but thats it. probly just a unlucky moment. we all have them.

when i turn my slash into a camaro for summer black top racing. a couple buddies actually sweep the area we run on with barn brooms..
    Last edited by ajcar; 04-11-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    Is your spur cover missing?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Competitor
    No, spur cover is not missing. But stock cover doesn't seal it all around. I wonder why they made it like that..

RC Champion
    The cover should cover everything up if its not altered in any way...

I run my KB witihout a cover, in dirt, drifting etc and I never have to dig out stones or pebbles.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Champion
    We are constantly running in dirt and sandy rock mixtures and take no damage. These 1/16's are tough as nails.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Competitor
    Are you cleaning out the rocks after each run? Checking over the drivetrain after your done?

RC Competitor
    No, but I just spin the wheels to check for any binding. Besides the rock issue. Its pretty durable. I flipped it many many times at speed and it holds up pretty well.

RC Competitor
    It don't take long to clean the RC after your run, just pick it up and shake it out. I drive over the same stuff, I got rocks in there a couple times, not that often though considering. I just clear it and move on, I'm still running the same drive shafts I scavenged from the extra parts of my MERV to build my Rally, these have been off road bashed and jumped with, & still all good.