RC Racer

Traxxas workshop must haves

I'm making a traxxas tool room. What are some things I need? I'm not thinking about parts, just tools. What would you recommend?

RC Competitor
    I think the most useful tool I've purchase to date is the Team Associated 8 pc hex driver set. Makes working on the car so much easier. I'm also happy with the Duratrax Pit Stand and that was only like $15 on Amazon. I think the hex driver set was about $30. Also picked up a reamer (Golden Horizons) and that makes life a lot easier when you need to put holes in the body - I just picked up a new body and it worked great for that. I have other stuff, but these items are must haves IMO.

I realllly like my mastercraft screwdriver set

The most wanted one in that set is a ratchet styled screwdriver
    I put on the piece that traxxas gives you to take off the wheels

It's quick and easy
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I love my Snap-On 1/4 metric driver bits. You have to get them from Snap-On, but well worth the money. I use them with a torque control power screw gun and makes wrenching much easier and faster. I also recommend the Duratrax pit stand, good quality wrenches, soldering iron, spend a few bucks here its worth it with temp control and last but not least a Dremel.. You will use that almost all the time... I have a ton more tools as well as a Snap-On Box, but these are the tools you will use the most.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

A GOOD set of hexes is a must. Cheap hexes just cause frustration.

Here is a short list of things to have:
    - Good set of hexes (1/4" drive)
    - 1/4" driver (I have several different lengths and styles)
    - A good shop light
    - A car stand
    - Metric Sockets and wrenches
    - A set of dental picks
    - A set or two of forceps
    - Soldering Iron (at least 40W)
    - Something to hold your soldering work ('Helping Hands' or 'the Jig's Up')
    - Shop-quality paper towels

Other nice things to have:
    - Compressed air. Canned is ok, gets expensive, recommend an air compressor.
    - Electric screwdriver. Some people shun the use of these, but it will really save your hands when you have a long-winded screw, or when you are taking apart or putting together beadlocks. The trick to using it is to not try to tighten the screw with the driver, but to use the driver to get the screw most of the way, then tighten the screw down with your hands so you can feel how much torque is being appied.
    - Calipers (really good for setting up steering and suspension
    - Music!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    The guys have given you all the ones I would have listed, and I will echo that the small power screwdriver I have is the epidome of "must have". You'll especially appreciate when you get older if your as arthritic as I am! The quality hex drivers as well. Don't skimp on anything you don't have to and just buy good tools once. But when I get tearing down trucks to clean/repair and rebuild them that little power driver I can't live without. The clutch drivers are nice, mine has no clutch but when you use it enough you'll develope a feel for it (or strip stuff) lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mepster View Post
    The guys have given you all the ones I would have listed, and I will echo that the small power screwdriver I have is the epidome of "must have". You'll especially appreciate when you get older if your as arthritic as I am! The quality hex drivers as well. Don't skimp on anything you don't have to and just buy good tools once. But when I get tearing down trucks to clean/repair and rebuild them that little power driver I can't live without. The clutch drivers are nice, mine has no clutch but when you use it enough you'll develope a feel for it (or strip stuff) lol
    The small power screwdriver is a must.... I had a cheaper Skil one that worked fine but just got a lithium one from Snap-On.. Yes its kind of pricey, but it works so well.. The torque control can be set from 0 to full lock and won't strip out the plastic either. All the other suggestions are great as well and I have pretty much all of the listed above.. But for someone just starting out start with the basics.. and only purchase quality tools..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

To heck with the power screwdrivers!!! They barely fit where you need them on an RC...

1. Air compressor
    2. Dremel
    3. Full set of hex drivers from 1mm - 4mm including .5 increments
    4. Old tooth brushes for cleaning
    5. Work mat to catch anything that drops
    6. Flexible light

The rest is all gravy...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Champion
    you must have a 1.5mm, a 2mm and a 2.5mm hex drivers, "Exact-O" knife or equal, a tamiya wrench, vacuum cleaner and RADIO!!!!!

Everything else is nice to have

Small wire cutters, small needle nose pliers, slip joint pliers are needed sometimes, and a tooth brush for cleaning.

You will eventually wind up with WAY more stuff than this, but this will get you going. The brand you choose is up to you.

At some point you'll end up with a dremel, a small drill (cut your allen wrenches and use the long straight part in the drill to save your wrist from all the twisting), a tool box, a parts box, a bench mat, rags, paper towels, oil organizers, a bench vise, soldering iron and jig, "Extra hand" alligator clip stand, lamp, drink cooler, laptop or tablet stand, DVD/TV, fan, heater, and chair/stool

But, this is just how I have mine - LOL
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 04-12-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Old age

RC Champion
    Cheap work mat. Went to my local fabric store and bought a meter of vinyl for $5. Made 2 large mats out of it. Wish I would have done that before messing up the finish on a brand new table with nitro

You need a kitchen table in there! that is way better than a work bench, lol!

Good drivers
    helping hands
    soldering iron-home depot and lowes sell a weller 45watt iron IIRC very good iron for $27 comes with spare tips.
    dremel
    drill
    lighter
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    For me table space is pretty critical. I need one spot to dremel or solder and working space to take apart more than one car. I find myself taking apart my e-maxx on the floor all the time and get distracted because I am working in an uncomfortable position. I think having a top shelf for tires and bodies is also a big thing, especially as an owner of 6-7 sets of revo/e-maxx tires. Also I have worked in rooms with carpet floor and wood floor and I really prefer wood, yo can hear your screws and things getting away from you when dropped.
    I like turtles.

RC Qualifier
    One thing i wish i had is a ball end remover/installer. I bought on online before but didn't fit, found out later its for large helicopters. I need one that will fit 1/10 RC's like my slash and Erevo

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    I just purchased a little electric screwdriver similar to this and love it:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryob...-driver/918469
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC