Thread: 1st RC truck

RC Enthusiast

1st RC truck

Just picked up a year old E-Maxx to have some fun with. The first thing I noticed is that when pounding the snow & slush it sucks up the 3000 mAh batteries extremely fast. My first questions are:
    1) I need a 2nd set of batteries, I have read that LiPo's are not waterproof so I will need to stay with the NiMH. Are certain brands better than others? I will get something in the 5000 mAh range.
    2) The supplied charger only charges one battery at a time. I would like a charger that has NiMH and LiPo capabilities for future upgrades, as well as being capable of charging both batteries at the same time. I would like for it to have built-in 110V AC supply as it will be in the garage all the time. Are there any suggestions for this?
    I am totally new at this and thought this would be a great place to get some beginners info. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jeromey; 04-06-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    3905 E-Maxx

RC Racer
    2)Great charger for decent price: duratrax onyx 245

1)Batteries: I went to lipos with the titans huge mistake burnt up 6 titans in one week . I don't now about NiMh batteries lipos should be fine with water as long as you blow out the balancing ports.

RC Champion
    NiMh's are more resilient to water than lipo, But a balloon helps that out, with either chemistries.
    Charger, you could be limited by using AC and wanting to charge 2 batteries at once.
    The only one I'd think would suit you is the Dynamite Passport Duo 400W Dual AC/DC Charger, expensive at about $240, But it's high power will make it be more future proof than any other AC charger out there.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies. trax de max, I am assuming that by using balloons you put the battery pack inside the balloon then tie the end closed? I was thinking of getting some LiPo batteries for summer use. I will also need to install a LVD as mine does not have one. Are there units you can get without having to buy a different ESC?
    3905 E-Maxx

RC Racer
    lipos are very hard on the titans due to long run times causing increased heat. u will have to really baby it to keep temps down

RC Qualifier
    I have an "I Charger 106B+ Synchronous Balance Charger/discharger". I gave $90 for it at my LHS. It will charge/discharge Lilo/Lipo/Life, NIMH/NICd and any Led Acid battery up to 24 volts. And any amount of batteries up to 10amps with A balance board.

RC Enthusiast
    Gunamonkey, are there cooling fans or heat sync's available to help cool them?
    3905 E-Maxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    I have an "I Charger 106B+ Synchronous Balance Charger/discharger". I gave $90 for it at my LHS. It will charge/discharge Lilo/Lipo/Life, NIMH/NICd and any Led Acid battery up to 24 volts. And any amount of batteries up to 10amps with A balance board.
    I have the iCharger 206B with a PS and a balance board. These are great set ups and will last you a very long time.

RC Champion
    Snow will run down your batteries fast. I get about half the run time in my summits. Just picked up a emaxx yesterday and tossed the nimh batteries out of my summit in it. We ran for about 45 - 1 hr or more but i know it was a long time. I usually get about 45min run time in the summits with the nimh batteries. Get yourself a good charger and don't be cheep buy it right the first time. If you are going to continue to run NIMH for now i find after running i do a cycle charge on them. I discharge them the rest of the way and recharge them then the next time i want to use them i just do a quick top up and im good to go. Im even getting 45min out of 6 5100mah batteries that my first pc of crap charger screwed up and now i can only get them to charge up to about 3400mah

RC Enthusiast
    hitec makes a pretty good charger. have 2 of em and work great. got about 10 runs out of my titans on (2) 2s lipos so if u plan on trying to use titans for any amount of time i wouldnt use lipos yet.
    emaxx nitro 4-tec
    tmaxx tl-01
    slash slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Yea i think integy makes some to fit the titans I don't know witch ones tho. I decided to go to brushless. The mamba monster 2 motor combo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeromey View Post
    Thanks for the replies. trax de max, I am assuming that by using balloons you put the battery pack inside the balloon then tie the end closed? I was thinking of getting some LiPo batteries for summer use. I will also need to install a LVD as mine does not have one. Are there units you can get without having to buy a different ESC?
    Yes and the units for the esc is the smart stop, I use but is set pretty low really and not programmable. Or you could use an alarm, which some can be programmed and quite inexpensive.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunamonkey View Post
    Yea i think integy makes some to fit the titans I don't know witch ones tho. I decided to go to brushless. The mamba monster 2 motor combo
    Did it arrive yet?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the responses guys. I am visiting a friend this weekend and am planning on checking out the hobby shop there to see what they stock for batteries and chargers.
    If a guy was to run lipo's, what is the maximum temperature that you want to run the Titan's at? Also, at what voltage would you set the LVD at?
    3905 E-Maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Don't worry about the temp question, just found a thread a few down that answers that!
    3905 E-Maxx

RC Racer
    yes it arrived yesterday but i didnt have time to solder it and it has been nonstop rain where im at in lovely michigan sense saterday. we have got like 10-15 inches of rain and expected to get 5 more. my yard is under 3 feet of water lucky my house is on a hill.

RC Competitor
    hey it water proof just take off the fan.

RC Racer
    Yea not that gutsy yet