RC poster

Smile best and cheapest motor and esc for 3906 emaxx.

looking for good cheap upgrade for a friends 3906 emaxx. was thinking evx 2 with 775 motor. any sugestions. dont want to have to do to much work. thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Kershaw designs motors if you want to stay brushed, not sure about the esc
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    a 775 titan/evx-2 is perfect for a 3906 e-maxx. or if you want a brushless option, this is good, and cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-EZR...item2c6d7abaa7 a 2000, or a 2200kv motor combo is best.. i am running the titan 775 in my 3906. i like it.

welcome to the forum
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    new style 14.4V dewalt (820) and evx2
    You'll have to upgrade a couple of small parts, but not too expensive.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Enthusiast
    ^those motors are bad... but they also weigh about 6 or 7 lbs. also have to replace motor mount with one that comes in the kit. i went with an sc8 leopard 120a esc and kershaw designs 2550kv motor and it bolts in with no modification other than pinion. esc even mounts in stock location. paid about $160 for so its only about $40 more than the 820 kit and run time is about 45 min on (2) 2s 30c lipos. temps havent even gotten above 120 ever lol. have quite a few runs in so far and only broken 1 axle so far. very impressed with this system and i was dead set on going with the dual 820 setup after i smoked the titans. the evx2 and titan 775 would work out just fine but after using this one i wouldnt go with any titan motor.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-10-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Language
    emaxx nitro 4-tec
    tmaxx tl-01
    slash slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by DRifTkiNg303 View Post
    ^those motors are bad... but they also weigh about 6 or 7 lbs. also have to replace motor mount with one that comes in the kit. i went with an sc8 leopard 120a esc and kershaw designs 2550kv motor and it bolts in with no modification other than pinion. esc even mounts in stock location. paid about $160 for so its only about $40 more than the 820 kit and run time is about 45 min on (2) 2s 30c lipos. temps havent even gotten above 120 ever lol. have quite a few runs in so far and only broken 1 axle so far. very impressed with this system and i was dead set on going with the dual 820 setup after i smoked the titans. the evx2 and titan 775 would work out just fine but after using this one i wouldnt go with any titan motor.
    You may want to check your motor weight figure.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I am running a DeWALT in my Summit... 14.4v powered by an EVX2
    I installed a DeWALT in my friends Maxx... 14.4v powered by an EVX2

We both could not be more thrilled over a brushed set-up.

And here is the actual weight of the motor, pinion, 10 gauge wire, connectors, brushes, motor mount, and heat sink:

Just over 1 pound.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Found the 775:

Completely naked it is just under 1 pound.

RC poster
    thanks guys. he is new to rc and really dont need anything to fast just more power than it has. i owned the truck for 8 years before him. so we will problly go with the 775 and evx2. if it pulls the wheels he will be happy.lol. just dont want to tear intothe trans.

RC Champion
    i hope somebody corrects me if im wrong, but i think i had to do some dremeling to fit the 775 to the motor mount. i cant remember cause my 3906 is a bit modded with a summit 2spd tranny dremeled/fitted into a aluminum chassy, lol. peace.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    my 3906 is a bit modded with a summit 2spd tranny dremeled/fitted
    man this is exactly what i want to do with my emaxx!! do u have any pics of this setup? how much did u have to remove off the chassis to make it fit?

i need a disclaimer in my sig like Jimmie's "Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong." LOL

i swear when i held the bag with both motors and all the hardware it felt like a lot more than 3 lbs but who knows. Dan even said it weighed around 6lbs. i need to stop by Kershaw's to get another pinion so when i do that ill bring a scale with me so i can see what the whole package weighs. could have been that the 2250kv and sc8 weighs so little that it made it seem like the dual 820 package felt heavier than it actually is.
    emaxx nitro 4-tec
    tmaxx tl-01
    slash slash 4x4

RC Champion
    6lbs is a huge weight I thought mine might weigh 2.5lbs but just a guess. I used a hole cutter and dremel to fit the dewalt on the 3906 mount.

RC Enthusiast
    ^the 3906 mount with only one 820 right?
    emaxx nitro 4-tec
    tmaxx tl-01
    slash slash 4x4

RC Champion
    man this is exactly what i want to do with my emaxx!! do u have any pics of this setup? how much did u have to remove off the chassis to make it fit?

i need a disclaimer in my sig like Jimmie's "Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong." LOL

i swear when i held the bag with both motors and all the hardware it felt like a lot more than 3 lbs but who knows. Dan even said it weighed around 6lbs. i need to stop by Kershaw's to get another pinion so when i do that ill bring a scale with me so i can see what the whole package weighs. could have been that the 2250kv and sc8 weighs so little that it made it seem like the dual 820 package felt heavier than it actually is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xZYDY4xzikY. this is it. i am rethinking my skid plate idea with the bolts in it. it also has a e-revo tranny at that time. i have since put in a summit 2spd tranny. and made it 4x4. the vid it was 2wd, lol.

RC Champion
    ^the 3906 mount with only one 820 right?
    That is correct

RC poster
    Guys I've got a tacon brush less motor I'm looking at. $80 and run it with the stock electronics on a brand new 2013 e-maxx brushed. Traxxas claims the electronics are brushless capable. What do y'all think?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m936-sen...76-kv2250.html

That motor may work but you are going to need a brushless ESC.

I have not read anything from Traxxas that all of their electronics are brushless capable.... some brushless ESC's may be capable of running a brushed motor, but a brushed ESC cannot run a brushless motor. The technology is entirely different.

RC poster
    Thanks I went back and read what I thought I read again and its saying the drive train is brushless ready. O well. So I need a cheap BL esc

Go for a 150 amp... I have read of some 120 amp ESC's working, but I can personally attest to a 150 amp working.

Are you putting this in a 3906?

RC poster
    Its a 3903 according to traxxas website. What is the deal with kV rating on the motors, lower number = more output??
    Thoughts on this combo? And is it an upgrade from the dual 550's?

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Mamba-R...stle+creations

Also liking this price point
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-combo-m3.html
    Last edited by danrogers1982; 04-14-2013 at 12:13 AM.

That combo is for a short course truck... 1/10th scale.

kv rating is pretty easy... for every volt the motor is fed, it will spin that many rpm. The lower the kv, the greater the torque.

I have done two conversions to a 3903...
    One with a 150 amp and a 2650kv 1/5th scale motor.
    One with stock ESC and a 14 volt DeWALT.

The brushless absolutely RIPS.
    The DeWALT is a big step up from the twin 550's in both speed and torque.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 04-14-2013 at 12:17 AM.

RC poster
    Dude thank you so much for taking the time to reply. What is the consensus on the newer style 18v dewalt motor? Better than 14v?

Quote Originally Posted by danrogers1982 View Post
    Dude thank you so much for taking the time to reply. What is the consensus on the newer style 18v dewalt motor? Better than 14v?
    In my opinion, the 18v is not a better motor than the 14v. In order to get the same/better performance out of the 18v you would need to run 6S... which the 3906 cannot handle, but the 3903 can. Stick with the 14v.... just slightly over-volted but works great!

RC poster
    Ok. I don't want to spend the money for 6s just yet lol. Back to the 14v dewalt. Y'all run just one right? What needs to be ordered at the same time with the motor? Or is it just the motor? What guide did you use to install the dewalt? Or is it just a common sense drop in? I may get the single motor mount if Y'all run just the one motor.

Running one is PLENTY of power... two really is not needed as it would only add weight and torque.

You would need to order a pinion... I think I put a 21 tooth on my buddies Maxx. The DeWALT has a 5mm shaft.

Single motor plate suggested.

You have to cut off the stock pinion from the motor and grind a flat spot on the shaft. You may or may not need to grind a little of the transmission case to get the DeWALT to fit... not sure because I used the dual plate. Soldering is required as well.