Thread: bulkheads

RC Qualifier

bulkheads

I just thought id pass on the news that RPM announced today that they released bulkheads in blue and black for the T-Maxx and E-Maxx.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Champion
    never thought rpm would come out with a maxx bulkhead knowing that plastic dont work, (not for me anyway, lol).
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    this was mentioned a couple of days ago, not a big fan either. I don't think plastic bulkheads will hold. Let's see who tried them first.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-these-hold-up!

RC Qualifier
    i was just passing on the info. RPM said for sale as of today. They were announced last week on Thursday i think. Personally i like stock bulkheads, got to have a point of failure somewhere....
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC poster
    I would think they would flex side to side

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The bulkhead would not be a good place for a failure!

RC poster
    Better a bulkhead than the chassis. The guy I bought my broken 3908 from put aluminum bulkheads on one day an broke the chassis the next day. He said he had had enough and was cashing out his chips. I'm now replacing the broken stock chassis with an FLM 10900 chassis. Like Nevada says "got to have a point of failure somewhere...." Preferably a relatively easy to fix point of failure. Of course I will be running aluminum bulks, shock towers, braces and chassis so we'll see what happens.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Having a rigid bulkhead could break the chassis(mine broke too)but having a weak bulkhead gets old too
    And having a bulkhead that flexes easy is probably worse
    10900 with aluminum bulkheads and hybrid diffs is the only way to go!
    Last edited by 50togo; 04-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.

RC Champion
    With all the other alum bulkhead upgrades already on the market, and thier just now coming out with those? To fit stock diffs!
    There probably a bit tougher than some of us might think but there not for me. The one thing i do like is the replaceable nuts. Maybe they should make a chassis to go with them.

RC Competitor
    Has anyone put these on yet? I just received mine in the mail and they don't fit! The holes don't line up that bolt it to the chassis. It's crazy and very disappointing!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tphjill View Post
    Has anyone put these on yet? I just received mine in the mail and they don't fit! The holes don't line up that bolt it to the chassis. It's crazy and very disappointing!
    can we see some pics. possibly a side by side pic next to a original maxx bulk.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Competitor
    I don't have pictures right now; however I did receive information back from RPM. See below:

Dear Mr. Tim Hyde,
    We have found a couple of interference issues with the E-Maxx chassis and are working to correct them on this end (the bulkheads fit perfectly with the T-Maxx chassis and older E-Maxx chassis). If you have a dremel tool, you can make the modifications yourself and, because it is a known issue, we will still honor our warranty if the bulkheads break. Done properly, they should hold up very well.
    The front left bulkhead has an issue where it interferes with the servo saver. Simply grind some material away from the bulkhead to get it to clear. The rear bulkheads do not clear the chassis mounts, as you noticed. You will need to carefully grind some material away from the back of the shock tower mount of the bulkhead to get it to fit. For the strongest fix, be sure you don't create any sharp edges and it will work just fine.
    We are working to alter our molds right now but it may still be a couple of weeks before we get them modified. Thank you for your patience and consideration. If you wish to try the install yourself and make these modifications, please send us your shipping address and we'll send a set of longer mounting screws your way as well. the E-Maxx has a thicker web so the chassis mounting screws we provided are too short.
    Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.

RC Competitor
    RPM has just shipped me back their reengineered bulkheads that should fit. Hopefully have them on this week and I will let you know how they fit and hold up. Then onto thee next broken part I'm sure.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    RPM is great, but plastic bulks !!! I wouldn't have so high expectations with those. IMO aluminum is the way to goo.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-29-2013 at 11:04 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tphjill View Post
    I don't have pictures right now; however I did receive information back from RPM. See below:

Dear Mr. Tim Hyde,
    We have found a couple of interference issues with the E-Maxx chassis and are working to correct them on this end (the bulkheads fit perfectly with the T-Maxx chassis and older E-Maxx chassis). If you have a dremel tool, you can make the modifications yourself and, because it is a known issue, we will still honor our warranty if the bulkheads break. Done properly, they should hold up very well.
    The front left bulkhead has an issue where it interferes with the servo saver. Simply grind some material away from the bulkhead to get it to clear. The rear bulkheads do not clear the chassis mounts, as you noticed. You will need to carefully grind some material away from the back of the shock tower mount of the bulkhead to get it to fit. For the strongest fix, be sure you don't create any sharp edges and it will work just fine.
    We are working to alter our molds right now but it may still be a couple of weeks before we get them modified. Thank you for your patience and consideration. If you wish to try the install yourself and make these modifications, please send us your shipping address and we'll send a set of longer mounting screws your way as well. the E-Maxx has a thicker web so the chassis mounting screws we provided are too short.
    Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.
    Yeah, LOL, this is the same day I emailed them these pics from mine in this thread.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-the-RPM-bulks

RC Competitor
    So I have had them on now for a few weeks and they are holding up awesome. Not a single problem with plenty of bashing. Lets hope they stay that way! In addition I finally shimmed both differentials and they are holding up quite well!

RC Enthusiast
    I have the blue aluminum traxxas bulkheads in my main EMaxx.
    Going strong w/bashing like this regularly.
    http://youtu.be/VfCM-vINhDY

however, I'm building a 2nd EMaxx and I'm not paying $100 for a set of bulkheads again and I will have zero reservations about getting the RPM Bulks. no doubt better than any integy aluminum that WILL bend and obviously better than stock and for less than $30 a set...no brainer. RPMs reputation has earned my dollar at least to give them a shot. And I will do so without hesitation,