RC Champion

Ideas to hold down my Venom 4S battery

I've got a pair of these Venom 4S 4500 35c batteries that I would like to use with my Slash but they are just a tad too tall.
    Trying to figure out the best way to get the battery tied down.
    Anyone have some ideas?

ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUVZ8
    You just need to buy the expansion kit for the Slash and the Slash 4x4. It will give you plenty of room for those 4s lipos and the higher mah 3s lipos.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    People also use Velcro
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    SSC makes some great Velcro straps but then again so does Walmart.. A little bit of creativity and some small screws an you should b good

Sent from my iPhone4
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUVZ8
    You just need to buy the expansion kit for the Slash and the Slash 4x4. It will give you plenty of room for those 4s lipos and the higher mah 3s lipos.
    That Expansion Kit is what is on my Slash in the pictures, and it's too short.

I'll be doing the Velcro mod as that is what quite a few Slash guys on the other forum run.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    That Expansion Kit is what is on my Slash in the pictures, and it's too short.

I'll be doing the Velcro mod as that is what quite a few Slash guys on the other forum run.
    The top black plastic piece is not from the expansion kit. It would fit tight but it would work. Have had one on my truck for about two years trouble free.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The top black plastic piece is not from the expansion kit. It would fit tight but it would work. Have had one on my truck for about two years trouble free.
    There is actually no way to get that battery to work using the stock style hold down.
    If you look at the 2nd picture the battery is covering the top slots in the Expansion block, and the battery can only sit in that location using that plastic hold down due to the balance leads and the power leads.

I just went ahead and got some straps from an HPI Vorza.

RC Competitor
    I did the same thing with the Velcro like you but they break after a while if you run as hard as i do. They hit rocks and all kinds of stuff. What I did was put some spacers under the battery expansion kit with longer screws to raise it higher. Works great.

It will work, let me show you a picture of a larger battery in the expansion kit.

RC Champion
    My slash has the rear expansion plastic block with the 4 holes in it for a taller battery, problem is the Venom is the same height as that block and covers the 2 top holes. I could have used spacers and longer screws to lift the block up, but then it's not supported as well and there is a chance of the screws ripping out.
    Here, I'll show you 2 batteries, one that works (which is probably the same height as yours, El Sob) and the Venom that doesn't fit,

Also note where the wires exit the case, this limits where the battery can sit under the plastic hold down.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    you can put a spacer under that tall batt hold, thats what i did to my Rally when i was running 4s with the stock batt hold.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    Think you found a great solution Zepher. Better than adding spacers. But, you may want to do something to protect the velcro under the truck.

RC Racer
    what el sob was saing is that you have half of the expantion kit. The battery hold down. the black bar that you have is straight all the way across. Now thats the half thats wrong. You have the rear block with the four holes in ti . Thats from a expantion kit. The battery hold down has some kick downs at the front and back that holds a 4s in place. Just imagine looking at your pic with your 4s and the battery hold you have. At the front and back the tips will angle down in like a z. To be cliped in

RC Qualifier
    Gofast, it's the location of the balance wires that hinder moving the battery away from the mount. You would not want to pinch those.

RC Racer
    oh my bad. THought I was smart for a second. Still new at this.

RC Champion
    Ya, the balance wires prohibit flipping the battery (the wires are also very firm and not very flexible) and the power wires limit me moving the battery towards the front of the truck.