RC Qualifier

STRC 17mm adapters constantly coming loose

Hi guys I bought the STRC 17mm adpaters for my rally and have had nothing but problems while using it in my backyard. Two wheels have already come off and I also lost one of the fasteners. I thought not thread-locking them was the problem, but I picked up a set of AKA fasteners (which seem much better than STRC) and put some blue locktite on all four half-shafts. Then while running again after doing all of that nothing happened. Went back inside and all 4 fasteners had come loose. Some more than others, but regardless they all came a bit loose like a half to a full turn with the allen wrench. If my battery hadn't gone dead then I probably would have lost some more. I know others have used 17mm adapters on their slashes and rally's but has anyone else experienced this problem? I would really appreciate some help. I emailed STRC about 2 weeks ago and they have yet to respond.

First off, I'd send them another email if it's been that long without a reply...

I stopped using the AKA's because I couldn't keep them on with a healthy dose of blue loctite, regular and the gel type. I believe STRC is close to the same design. I've found TRX brand stays on much better than the AKA's ever did. And you can get spare parts for the AKA if that's any help.

Are you using brand-name Loctite? It did work better than the generic.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I was using brand name lock tite and they still came loose. I then put on my hobby store brand lock tite after wards but haven't tried it since then. I'll shoot them another email but still will probably have to buy another brand of adapters.
    Last edited by Nitroelectric; 04-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.

RC Competitor
    I had this problem as well. I also used blue loctite. One thing that I noticed was that when using wheels/tires from suprasales, there was barely enough thread available to have the nut 100% engaged. Not sure if this is part of your problem. I am on the verge of boring out a small amount of the wheel to get it to engage more.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittyz View Post
    I had this problem as well. I also used blue loctite. One thing that I noticed was that when using wheels/tires from suprasales, there was barely enough thread available to have the nut 100% engaged. Not sure if this is part of your problem. I am on the verge of boring out a small amount of the wheel to get it to engage more.
    This might be the problem but I think I'm gonna get the red locktite which supposedly represents the strongest thread locker. The blue didn't really do much of anything so the red should be perfect. I really wanna call STRC and tell them how bad their product works.

RC Competitor
    It's a known problem with strc stuffs, the quality is on the low side and apparently they never really test their parts before releasing to the public.

I wouldn't call strc quality low based on a set of adapters especially given that other brands have similar issues. I have used other strc products and they have worked just fine. The problem seems to be the small stub axle and limited thread on the stub. Personally, I would use the traxxas adapters since they seem to be the best option at this point.

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Yea I like the TRX 17mm adapters the best. I've tried AKA, Integy (Booooo), and the TRX.

I have a couple sets of the AKA's and still use them, but I've had to purchase parts to replace the ones that flew off into space on speed runs.

RC Qualifier
    With some loctite and the AKA fasteners, I've yet to have any wheels come loose (knock on wood). Very surprising but I'm very happy now.

RC Competitor
    i'm also using the STRC adapters, but what also caught my eye was that the fasteners are completely flat on both sides.
    The fasteners on my 1:8 buggy are ribbed on the inside so they get some grip on the wheel and cannot come loose.

Did you get any response from STRC?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yonzariq View Post
    i'm also using the STRC adapters, but what also caught my eye was that the fasteners are completely flat on both sides.
    The fasteners on my 1:8 buggy are ribbed on the inside so they get some grip on the wheel and cannot come loose.

Did you get any response from STRC?
    Yea I also noticed that. That's why I went with the fasteners from AKA. And I never got a response from Strc. I emailed them multiple times and they've never gotten back to me. That was like a month ago too.

RC Competitor
    too bad they didn't respond.
    They make some nice products, mine haven't come loose yet also though.
    Got around 6 packs through with them on my rally

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    I emailed them multiple times and they've never gotten back to me. That was like a month ago too.
    That's unreal...nothing worse than bad customer service. I had similar issues with HR, emailed them multiple times with no response. Thanks for the update.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by Smittyz View Post
    This is also true for me. I'm not sure what to do either, but I guess one could use a wood drill or sandpaper to shave off some material. My Ofna hubs have plenty of threads no matter what wheels I bolt on.

RC Champion
    I use a squeeze tube of "DAP" caulking and cut a very small hole. then after intalling my AKA adapters I squeeze the DAP in the space between the Nut and the Adapter. When it dries it holds the nut from backing off.. Never failed me.. To remove it is pretty easy, Just use a small pick and pull the chunk of DAP caulking out.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.