RC Racer

e-revo w/summit tires questions

Hello, i am installing the summit tires and rockers on my E-Revo later this week, i am wondering if i should do anything different with regards to the gearing. i have the dual battery set-up running with the optional high speed pinion that came with the car. will i need to do anything else?? is there really that much difference in the rolling diameter or resistance with the two sets of tires??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Dual as in series or dual as in parallel?

Yes, a large difference between the two.

I suggest looking up what stock gearing is for the Summit and starting there... if you insist on running in series you will probably need to gear down further; and expect to break more parts. lol
    More mass = more stress.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    a bloke that has modded his merv to the max told methat if I want to have a bit of fun to put summit tyres on my merv let me know how they go haha im curious
    modded 3906 e-maxx

RC Racer
    dual lipos, i think in series, ( parallel would be too much power with the lipos and stock esc right??) and thanks for the heads up on gearing.

Series doubles voltage
    Parallel doubles capacity

RC Racer
    okay, parallel. thanks. i show a lot of the same options for the two so far as gearing, i guess i'll just dig more on actual stock gearing for the summit.. there seems to be almost too many options...lol

RC Champion
    You always want to go parallel BECAUSE....... you get to drive more! However you NEVER want to go parallel BECAUSE... you'll probably only stop driving because you broke something!

Hahah, but yes Series is for SPEED which creates all kinds of problems and you never want to go over 3s with the stock ESC in the Merv. Parallel provides more amps (not voltage so you don't go faster) for stronger motors, but best of all technically doubles the drive times.

The added weight of two batteries hurts performance a bit though.

I always just run ONE battery, and when it gets low, swap in the other one and throw the first on charge. Only takes but 30 seconds anyway.

The Summit tires will REALLY increase speed! The merv came alive for me when I got my Summit tires, but temperatures should be watched closely at first to make sure you're not going crazy!

Stock tire on the left, Summit on the right:

RC Racer
    right on, i found that the 16t gear is the oe one for summit, ill order that to prevent potential damage. those tires do look imposing compared to the merv ones.... ive been toying with the idea of letting the kid play with the little one and get the big summit or erevo..... its hard to think about dropping like 700 bucks in one drop though..lol.. thanks for the help guys

RC Champion
    I actually ran the 28 and 32t pinions, but with the Velineon 3500 and VXL3S and MMP and Team Orion motor. The motor and esc were cold to the touch afterwards, using 2200mah traxxas 2s lipos!

The ground clearance is what really helped, no longer getting stuck in grass etc.. so the temps were kept down from that alone!

RC Qualifier
    Just measure the stock tire and summit tire, divide those two numbers (Summit/merv) then divide stock pinion teeth number by this number and you will get the number of teeth on the pinion that you should use to get approx. same speed. This isn`t complicated as it sounds

RC poster
    I have summit tires on my merv and i run 16/55 gearing with no heating issues.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Invest in a temp gun and monitor temps every few minutes til you know how it runs. I would start with 23/50 and see how hot it runs with your type if driving

RC Champion
    FYI...16/50 is stock on the Summit.
    Stock on a Merv is 28/50
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Racer
    Yeah I have the temp gun, I'll keep the 23/50 for now, that's what I have now. Otherwise I'll try 16/50. Thanks again guys!

RC Racer
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

finally figured out how to post pictures..lol
    Last edited by kstageberg; 04-19-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Good, Fast, Cheap; You can only have two

RC Racer
    Nice erevo OP. For this setup is the 16/55 the best gearing? How slow does it become when running on 3s lipo single. Can i run two 3s lipos?
    Last edited by traxstar; 04-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    ^^Summit Kawasaki Edition and E-revo VXL^^

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kstageberg View Post
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

finally figured out how to post pictures..lol
    haha......not quite
    Here's how it should look. All you need is the URL with IMG tags at the start and finish.
    Truck looks great by the way.

RC Racer
    Lol. Yeah well if wasn't so difficult to post pictures here. Lol

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    FYI...16/50 is stock on the Summit.
    Stock on a Merv is 28/50
    How many teeth is the "high speed" stock pinion gear for the MERV? I may have to dig for it and install it now. You know, the one they include when you want to run two NiMH packs in series? Would that one work? I run parallel 3S Lipos in mine.
    I just modded my MERV and put some 2.2" tires, not sure if I can mention the name since I already got dinged once for that, looks killer though.

I haven't tried the new tires / rims yet b/c my TQI radio system crapped out and I just sent it in for repairs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170845101977...84.m1497.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330899896231...84.m1497.l2648

The speed pinion is a 23 tooth pinion... 5 teeth lower than the standard/stock.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The speed pinion is a 23 tooth pinion... 5 teeth lower than the standard/stock.
    That would be perfect then, going by mtc777's calculations since the new tires are 2.2" and the stock Talons are 1.8", the math comes to right under 23. Thanks Jimmie, I think I should change pinions then, I may run it a little with the 28 tooth one but closely monitor motor temps. I don't see a need to go any faster than it already does so it makes sense for my purposes to change to the lower toothed pinion. (That or buy some 2S lipos)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlasers View Post
    That would be perfect then, going by mtc777's calculations since the new tires are 2.2" and the stock Talons are 1.8", the math comes to right under 23. Thanks Jimmie, I think I should change pinions then, I may run it a little with the 28 tooth one but closely monitor motor temps. I don't see a need to go any faster than it already does so it makes sense for my purposes to change to the lower toothed pinion. (That or buy some 2S lipos)
    That is wheel diameter...has nothing to do with the gearing...you need tire diameter.(plus...the Merv's wheels are 2.0... not 1.8)
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    That is wheel diameter...has nothing to do with the gearing...you need tire diameter.(plus...the Merv's wheels are 2.0... not 1.8)
    Ah, OK sorry I must have misread then, I saw 1.8 somewhere on the sidewall of my stock tires and assumed it was the tire diameter. It's printed very small and it's got some wear on it.

Here are the actual specs on my new tires:
    Tire Bead Diameter: 2.2"
    Overall Diameter: 4"
    Tread Width: 2"

And from what I see on the stock Talon tires, the specs are:
    Outer Diameter: 83mm (3.3")
    Width: 48.3mm (1.9")

I come out with 23.1, after dividing 4 by 3.3 = 1.2121212121212121212121212121212 and then dividing the the 28 stock pinion teeth on the MERV (unless he meant the Summit's stock teeth??, he didn't specify) and I get 23.1. So the 23 tooth pinion is still good in this case.

RC Champion
    23 should be ok...just keep an eye on motor/esc temps.

What you saw on the stock tire was 3.25x1.8x2.0(height x width x wheel diameter)
    Last edited by dcfox; 04-22-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    23 should be ok...just keep an eye on motor/esc temps.

What you saw on the stock tire was 3.25x1.8x2.0(height x width x wheel diameter)
    What is considered too high a temperature on the brushless 380 motor and stock ESC? I see temps as high as 160 degrees F running on stock tires and 2S Lipos and I give it a rest after that.

RC Champion
    Thats pretty close to the upper limit... I'd keep doing that.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Thats pretty close to the upper limit... I'd keep doing that.
    Thanks...

If I'm lucky I'll maybe see a little drop in temperature when running on grass as krallopian mentioned. If temps get high too quick too often a 2S Lipo change might be my future. Then I'll have more time to crash into things.

Hey do we have to have a url to post pictures? Like dropbox, or whatever? I'll maybe post a couple of my MERV with the big wheels on it....
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-23-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Yes you have to have a picture host.
    I use www.photobucket.com
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    so the Summit tires I just put on my MERV last night are no good for it? This makes me so sad. I have the 23 tooth gear on there now and have always just run 2 stocks with series, but am going to start running Lipos. Should I stick with my stock tires and pick up a 16tooth gear?

RC Racer
    i did the summit tires, high speed pinion gear that came with it and running a 2s lipo, the temps were no higher than 90 after like 30 minuets of tooling around.. the only down side right now it the wheelie bar i got for it doesn't fit with the summit rear bumper so i have to watch the acceleration or its on its lid in no time..

RC Racer
    Well I broke my first part today.... Right upper OEM control arm. Oh well, time to get the RPM ones.... One question though, has anyone bent the cups for the CVDs? Mine seem like they may be bent slightly, there is a terrible wobble in the driveline.
    I checked the tires and they seem fine, I ran it without the tires and I see a wobble from the rear, not sure if the cups get damaged or if its in the diff. I have shimmed the diff too if that's what you're thinking. Thoughts? Bearings maybe or bent CVD??

I managed to bend a CVD. You should be able to see that with the naked eye. In my case it was easy to see.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Racer
    Yeah. I don't think it's the shaft that's bent though... It seems like it might be the cup.. Well I'll just to check it out when I do the arms. Maybe just try running the truck with out the shafts in to try and pinpoint the issue.