Thread: RPM Sensor

RC poster

RPM Sensor

Anyone add the RPM Sensor to the Spartan? Traxxas Support says "Not Applicable" to Spatran, but there is a mount for the sensor.

RC poster
    True theres a mount.. But Im not sure you could fit a traxxas version sensor on there that would work..
    I was thinking a Spektrum telemetry sensor would work becasue its the same principle, just not magnetic.. IM working on one now..

RC poster
    Thanks. Was thinking of adding a gear and magnet to motor shaft, but was concerned of balance issue.

RC Competitor
    Hi i did its "12 months ago" and when talking to Traxxas they would do it this way too as i sent emails with pics too them as the rpm was out Quote from email off traxxas " You cannot convert RPM into MPH on a boat. The only way to get your speed would be with the GPS module." you epoxy a 5x5mm neodymium magnet to the top of the collet coupling and then super/epoxy the sensor wire so it sits over the magnet and bingo gone but the rpm fine but the speedis out buy loads as the boats shaft turns at 28,000 - 37,000 rpm ish i done the full Telemetry package back last year, nightmare to get the speed to work only way is the GPS and Traxxas dont have a release date yet

ive been asked about the the wear on the motor no signs yet and its had a very busy year of shows and run time and the Motor is spot on, but then after every use it gets striped down with flex stops in a bath of oil untill next use and the motor get a good oil on both bearings