RC Qualifier

Rustler VXL 2wd SCT Conversion Build

Another build thread. Probably not the best build ever done but it is my first and i really tried to stick to a budget . I wanted to build a SCT good enough for me to race on occasion yet sturdy enough for my son (and me too) to bash once in while.

Here is what i started with. A used Rusty VXL i got from the Traxxas forums...

First thing i did was change out the stock bell crank and 2056 servo for a STRC bell crank and a 2075 servo.

Next i added the SCT front bumper and shock absorber using the STRC bumper adapter.

The Rusty already came with the STRC aluminum shock caps so all i did was take them apart clean them up and refilled with 50w shock oil front and rear. It also came with Integy A arms which ill use till they fail. It also came with STRC C-Blocks which i will also use. The baring carrier and spindles are stock with the exception of the bushing being replaced with bearing which were in good condition. I just cleaned them up and oiled them...good to go for now.

Ill post more pics and updates soon. Stand by..........
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Qualifier
    Nice. keep the pics comin'

RC Qualifier
    Cool, very cool. I'm still waiting on my gear to show up to hop up sons Rusty to brushless. keeping it low key and following Traxxas VXL set up for now.
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Team arsy car View Post
    Cool, very cool. I'm still waiting on my gear to show up to hop up sons Rusty to brushless. keeping it low key and following Traxxas VXL set up for now.
    Have you decided what system your gonna use? Thats the one nice thing about the Rusty, the platform is easy to work with. If you already had a Rusty VXL the tranny should already have metal gears and the ring gear should be metal too. 1 thing i would suggest if you havent already done so, is to replace the plastic bushings in the carriers with bearings.

RC Competitor
    Keep it up!

RC Qualifier
    Finally got my bearings in and some other parts and made some pretty good progress today.

First up I replaced the stock diff with a Hot-Racing sealed diff with 50k diff fluid

Also got the upper STRC LCG extension kit and trans mounted up

Decided to use Panther Rattlers 2.2x3.0 clay compound racing tires on SCTE DE Trinadad wheels for racing (top pic) and Traxxas BFG Mud Terrains for bashing (bottom pic)

Its actually starting to look like a RC. Ive started to call it The SCR (Short Course Rusty)

I dont have to much putting together to do now. I should get all my electrical connectors by Friday. Then ill be able to mount all the electronics. I figured it would be easier to solder everything together with out it installed.

Ill post more pics and update soon....stand by

RC Champion
    Man this thing has come along way! good to see its come to good use man... im tuned in to this build bro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Man this thing has come along way! good to see its come to good use man... im tuned in to this build bro
    Thanks man glad you like it. I got some more work done tonight but i dont have pics it to dark. Ill get some pics in the next couple days. I want to reveal the body and power plant at the same time. I got to fix my Revo now i broke a carrier, check out the video in the Revo galleries lol.

RC Racer
    Looks awsome. What are you using for your reciever box? I need to get something like that.

RC Qualifier
    Cool work NV, almost got everything for our base Rustler to Rustler VXL Hop UP, would love to post pic of all the parts we have for our three car project but can't work it out, HEEEEEEEEEEEELP, it looks like we bought out Traxxas. Very Cool having so many shiny little parts.
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax View Post
    Looks awsome. What are you using for your reciever box? I need to get something like that.
    The reciver box is the stock box that came with the Rustler.

Quote Originally Posted by Team arsy car View Post
    Cool work NV, almost got everything for our base Rustler to Rustler VXL Hop UP, would love to post pic of all the parts we have for our three car project but can't work it out, HEEEEEEEEEEEELP, it looks like we bought out Traxxas. Very Cool having so many shiny little parts.
    You have to have the image on a compatible hosting site like photo bucket or facebook. Once you do that the is a icon in the quick reply box that says image. After you click image copy/paste the URL of the pic and there ya go. Hope that helps. YES i agree new shiny parts are awesome

RC Qualifier
    Pretty much finished the build last night. Only thing left to do is charge batteries and mount the body with proper mount holes. I dont have a finished pic yet but ill give ya a teaser.

The Brain and Muscle for my SCR. Hobby Wing SCT WP SC8 120a/750a ESC and a 4000kv 4 pole brush less motor

Also the body i choose. I wanted a cheap prepainted body being my first "SCT" im probably just gonna tear it up any way. I do intend to cover up the brand name with other brand name decals lol

Ill gets some pics of the final pieces to my build and some whole car shots a lil later on today or tonight.

Stay tuned.....

RC Qualifier
    As promised the finish to my build. I know it wasnt the most elaborate of builds nor did i use any real trick parts. I did how ever really enjoy building this Short Course Rusty. Its my first electric and my second RC next to my Revo 3.3 which i got RTR. Any way the conclusion to the build.....

I installed the RPM short course truck rear tranny guard, bumper, low profile wheelie bars, engine protector and slipper clutch cover.

to take up the space under the battery straps since the lipo battery isnt as thick as a nimh i glues some 5mm thick foam to the bottom of the straps. (the foam material that the Traxxas 3 pack diff oil comes packed in)

Heres all the electronics installed

With the body on. Its not the most expensive body on the market and its not custom paint either. Its a good looking body none the less and i live in Reno NV so the gamling theme works. I plan to cover the non Traxxas branding with Traxxas and other stuff i have in my STR. After i get past the learning curve ill get a clear body. Till then i wont feel bad about tearing this one up.

Last but not least i was able to get my first run on video which didnt last long. Right at the very end like 5 sec before the video is shut off i smelt burning clutch. When i went to pick up my truck i even seen smoke. A loose slipper was really the only bug i ran came across after the build. Check out video Post # 820 in the New Bandit/Rustler Gallery for my maiden voyage.

Thanks for checking out my build and following if you did. Any questions feel free to ask. I may post updates and changes as i do so. I intend on racing this SCR at my local indoor clay track and on the 27th ill be entering the Traction Showdown open novice class.

Stay Tuned......

RC Qualifier
    Looking good NV, I will have to look into photo bucket so I can get some pics up, rustler put on hold as we didn't receive all parts however I did put that exact same motor and ESC from Hobby wing in my Slash 4X4 tonight and it appears to be the goods.
    I only got to run it in my street as it was dark, but immediately noticed a more controllable power curve from the motor(running stock gearing), very very smooth acceleration, 4X4 will even try to wheel stand if given to much, however it is completely controllable, can't wait to sun up to try it in the dirt.
    Post your run in of the motor as I may get another motor/ESC combo for the Rustler project if you can control yours.

Good luck with that

T.A.C

RC Champion
    Very nice build my friend!

RC Qualifier
    Took the SCR out to the track on Wednesday for some practice and i did quit well for my first time. The SCR was awesome too. Very pleased with the Hobbywing set up. Never once did i see temps over 105 on the motor and 80 on the ESC. Pretty cool to be able to pull a wheely all the way down the back straight speed section. I can keep up with the factorty truck no problem. So tonight ill be going and doing my first electric club race with the SCR. Im pretty excited

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    good luck! your build looks great!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    good luck! your build looks great!
    Thank you!!! My brother is coming with me tonight so i should have some pics and video later tonight or tomorrow.

RC poster
    Looking good! I have the same combo (SC8/HW 3656 4000kV motor) on the way for my Rustler. How much of a difference did the STRC bellcrank make?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik89si View Post
    Looking good! I have the same combo (SC8/HW 3656 4000kV motor) on the way for my Rustler. How much of a difference did the STRC bellcrank make?
    Youre gonna love that Hobbywing set up It has way more power than i need. Ive even had to tune it down to keep my SCR controllable. Honestly i have nothing to compare the STRC to. When i got this pre roller chassis for the build it didnt have a bell crank. I have zero issues with it though. Its very smooth and no binding, it comes with bearings instead of bushings. My main reason for getting it was price. I found the one i have on eBay for $15 + $3 shipping.

RC Qualifier
    here is the video to my first race with the SCR. I broke at the end of the 3rd lap Anyway posted the the video in The Official Traxxas Slash Video Gallery. Check out post #299 for the video or click link ----> link <-----

RC Qualifier
    I got some bracing for the rear shock tower. With the STRC LCG kit it just seams to leave the shock tower sitting there. So i looked for a couple hours and came across a front brace for some RC car made in china. So for $6 shipped and a 3 week wait i think it fit perfect and really stiffened up the shock tower nicely.

I also made up some wire separators for my ESC wires.

What motor connectors are those?

Also, you'll like the HR diff case, I'm liking mine even though it has a small leak.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    I love the build, i love that body, i might look for it when i decide to change mine. How do you like the BFG tires? i just got a set but haven't had time to try them yet.

RC poster
    You're gonna want to want to add some toe in to your rear end, either by swapping to Slash rear arms, or degreed rear bearing carriers, or a RPM or FLM trans with the degreed mounts. Increases stability significantly.

RC Competitor
    awessome thanks for the suggestion, i haven't upgraded my rear A-arms yet, so that may be the way to go, since i just
    changed to RPM carriers.

was it rolling a lot threw turns? with out the extra toe in?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    What motor connectors are those?

Also, you'll like the HR diff case, I'm liking mine even though it has a small leak.
    They are XT150 (6mm) Gold Plated Connectors 250amp max rating. The connectors have dove tailing on them so i can hook them together like a flat connector. Got them on ebay for like $9 shipped. The HR diff is awesome. Ive been racing with it on a sticky indoor clay track and i get awesome bite.

RC Qualifier
    Got Proline shock towers and the RPM gear case....

RPM case outside veiw top pic, inside view bottom pic

With gears and HR diff
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...60823376_n.jpg
    dont worry i greased the gears before i sealed it up

Ill post more pics tomorrow when i get it all reassembled

Stay tuned........

RC Qualifier
    Just a few updates since its been a while and ive promised a few people pics of my sway bars.

Here is the RPM Trans installed w/ 3* toe in. It has helped tremendously with traction. Dont mind her all dirty, she is used 3 times a week for club racing.

RC Qualifier
    Next 2 pics show the new Progressive Rate 2 springs installed and the Hot Racing sway kit. The front sway bar installed no problem as per instructions that i found online. The rear sway bar well that didnt go as planned. The online instructions as well as some other pics ive seen didnt want to go on the shock tower. Rag6 showed me a pic where he mounted his under the truck. His kit and the kit shown online are differnt than what i got. HR has changed the style to a "wide" style sway bar. I was able to figure out if i cut the ends off the sway bar and mount it on top of the STRC LCG top plate id get the desired anti sway effect. I think if you were to use a stock Rusty chassis you could mount it to the ESC mount. The rear i think is poorly designed. The sway kit has really helped A LOT with traction rolling and also has made it so i an go into turns alot more aggresively w/o tipping over. Its still worth the price even if you have to get creative where its mounted. Any way see for your self...

rear sway bar

front sway bar

Hit me up if anyone has questions. Till then stay tuned....

RC Qualifier
    Im my quest to get rid of the steering shutter and after breaking 3 2075 servos i got a Savox 1258tg servo.

It didnt help much with getting rid of the shutter but man is it faster lol. Ive ordered a bell crank for a 4x4 because i think the bulk of the shutter is coming from the servo saver. The 4x4 bell crank has a built in servo saver so im hoping that will fix this issue.
    Ive also added 3oz of weight to the front which has helped A LOT with cornering and handling.
    I also ordered the new RPM 2 stage shock pistons. Ill get some pics of those as i build them.

Stay tuned.....
    Last edited by NvDesertRat96; 06-02-2013 at 10:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Love those servos get a glitch buster

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I used it today for 5 races 3 heats a B main and a A Main. Not a single problem with it.

RC Qualifier
    Oh i thought you was having some shuder. I know with castle esc ive had to use glitch buster with that servo and everything runs smooth. Those servos are great.

I have a few questions: What are the advantages of using the RPM transmission case besides the motor plate? And the cool color.

What weight diff oil are your running in the HR case?

Sweet wiring setup btw.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon32689 View Post
    Oh i thought you was having some shuder. I know with castle esc ive had to use glitch buster with that servo and everything runs smooth. Those servos are great.

The shutter is coming from the servo saver. At least thats the only thing i can think of at this point. The 1258tg works awesome.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I have a few questions: What are the advantages of using the RPM transmission case besides the motor plate? And the cool color.

What weight diff oil are your running in the HR case?

Sweet wiring setup btw.
    Thanks. My gpa taught me that trick with the wiring on spark plug wires just with bigger zip ties as separators. I figure if i ever have a short and the wires burn or melt with them separated i have a better chance not to melt together with the others.

As for the Rpm case yes it runs cooler, yes it looks cool but the reason i got it was the 3 degree toe in mounts for the A Arms and the price was right.

My diff im using 50,000 weight. I think im gonna go down to 30,000 weight when i do my next monthly tear down. Our track is super high traction and the 50,000 sometimes acts to much like a locked rear end and i get push in the turns.

Ive only been racing 5 weeks now and come from nitro so im still figuring it out. Not doing to bad though i got my first win last Wednesday in novice and today i raced in a big class (16 trucks) of mixed 2wd/4wd sportsman and expert races got 4th in heat 1, 1st in heat 2, 2nd in heat 3, 2nd in B Main and transferred to A Main and finish 6th out of 14. Not bad for a rookie with a Short Course Rusty lol.

RC Qualifier
    O.G one thing with that HR diff ive learned after using it and after doing a couple maint. refills is to only fill the diff half full and lightly grease the shaft o rings and Teflon tape the screws. For future reference HR makes a gaskets/o ring replacement kit for the diff.