RC poster

Battery ? ... 2wd Slash VXL for 7 yr old

My son is driving 2wd Slash VXL in training mode using 8.4v NiMH 5000mah.

Would he get more run time from a 7.4v Lipo 5000mah?

I understand that losing 1.0 volt from 8.4volt to 7.4volt will slow it down a little, which he could use. The question is, will We gain any run time since they are both 5000mah?

Thanks,
    Agent Top End

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    In my experience, slightly more run time even though it is the same capacity.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Top End View Post
    My son is driving 2wd Slash VXL in training mode using 8.4v NiMH 5000mah.

Would he get more run time from a 7.4v Lipo 5000mah?

I understand that losing 1.0 volt from 8.4volt to 7.4volt will slow it down a little, which he could use. The question is, will We gain any run time since they are both 5000mah?

Thanks,
    Agent Top End
    Actually, a 2s Lipo charges up to 8.4v, not just the stated 7.4v... You won't lose any power... if anything, the Slash will run faster and will certainly run a LOT longer. Just be careful of the motor/ESC temps with longer run times.

RC Champion
    make sure your son knows the in's and outs of a lippo.. Was at my local hobby store yesterday and a friend of mine and his sone were looking at lipo's. After listening to the sales pitch i caught up with them outside and told them to do some reasearch first and make sure they are comfortable with lipo before buying. the way the hobby shop explained it to them they thought they were just plug and play like a nimh