RC Qualifier

Velinion Motor Is Biting the dust (I think)? Suggestions for new motor/escs?

So I had in one of my other posts that my Velinion motor has a small squealing sound whenever I hit the throttle hard. Now I'm disappointed because I got new tires today (2.8" badlands front, 2.8" trenchers rear) and my motor is barely working. I always thought of the VXL combo to be great, but now it can barely pull it's own weight (literally). It started out ok, then I would run and the motor would stop working for half a second while I was speeding up (mostly in grass) and then come back. I would give it throttle and it would start moving and then die for just a little bit, just enough to lose a bit of speed but not enough to stop. I have fans on both the ESC and Motor, the esc was freezing cold (probably because it's 5 degrees Celsius where I am), and the motor got warm, but nowhere near hot or thermaling, I could easily touch it for over 10 seconds without taking my finger off it. It was inbetween warm and hot.

I'm annoyed because I just spend $30 for fans for this combo and now my motor is on the way out (I'd say). I also cannot take the motor apart to clean and service it and the bearings because the aluminum motor mount screws ("Traxxas hardened screws" ) are completely stripped. I tried for about an hour today to take them off but no luck, I don't have a dremel either. I'm also annoyed because just when I thought everything is good, my motor is dying.

So now I'm on the search for a new esc because I already have a motor in mind found here. It isn't much to pay, but then I also need a new ESC, and then I need MIP axles, and so on and so on. I'm only 15 and my parents think I spent a lot ($75) for these tires, it's the biggest purchase since I got the car. My mom says that I can get the motor, because it isn't a lot. Is there any way I can use the motor above with the VXL-3? If I can, then I'm ordering one tonight. I can get a new pinion and I'm running 7.4v 40c 5000mah lipo's in my car. I REALLLY REALLLLY want to get this motor because of Jangs video found here .

If I can't then I guess I'll get either this ESC:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezescfor1scr.html

because it's a fair price or this ESC:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-80a-sd.html

because it's more performant.

My last question is would the motor stated above work with the Castle SV3 ESC? That's my preffered ESC because Castle is a great company, it's 100% waterproof and it's pretty cheap. If that motor would work with the VXL ESC or the Castle SV3 ESC, then I would be really happy. I never run 3s and probably won't until I move out so any help PLEASE!

PS. Sorry for the redonkulously long post but I want the readers to know exactly what I want and why. Any Help is appreciated. Seriously. Any.

I am here to help! To replace the bearings on the VXL motor, you don't need to disconnect it from the motor plate. Remove the plastic cap from the end of the motor and you will find four screws. Remove the screws, take the end plate off. Take the pinion gear off the motor and the rotor can be pulled out of the motor can. You should be able to pry the rear bearing loose from the can and the front comes out of the plate. I hope this helps you.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    I had the same problem myself yesterday (bearing failure and unable to remove mount plate to fit new motor) and as El Sob say's throw a couple of bearings in it and away you go. Went bashing at skate park today with mates, 8-12 foot plus air with back flips and still running.
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Qualifier
    Vladsly, I just checked your links and I have already bought the Hobby Wing combo for the Slash. Haven't fitted it yet and can't find much info however RC shop here in OZ selling RC for over 25 years reckons it is a great thing. Will post Hobby Wing/Slash (double slash gag there) thread when I get it in and it ever holds up or blows.

RC Qualifier
    If Money is no option then Id go RX8/Pro4HD... If money is in consideration I'd go Tenshock411 Hobywing... If you want a impressive happy medium you can't go wrong with a good ol' Castle3800/MMP setup
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

My hobbywing sct pro esc 120a and tenshock sc411 3500kv geared 15t pinion and 54t spur in a pede 4x4 is so sweet and fast on 2s and 3s and runs under 150f pack after pack so for the slash i would run it with 17t pinion with the stock size wheels and you will love the torque and punch of the 550 size can dudes.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Just checked what I got in the box, SC8 ESC and 4000kv 80A motor, told to run stock 54T spur and 14T pinion, sounds like he is on the money with gearing then. Supplier also reckons like SPENNIEOOS that this 4 pole motor will run cooler then the Velineon and batteries will last longer. Can't wait to put it in and give a go, might leave stock 13T pinion in for first runs just in case.

I am not to sure the batteries will last longer but you will have more torque and it will run cooler so you can gear up a bit so its win win........peace

RC Qualifier
    Should receive new motor plate and alloy motor mount tomorrow, new motor is going straight in. will post results.

Quote Originally Posted by Team arsy car View Post
    Should receive new motor plate and alloy motor mount tomorrow, new motor is going straight in. will post results.
    Sounds good man maybe post some pics as well ......peace

RC Qualifier
    I ended up ordering a Tacon 3674 motor with 13 tooth and 19 tooth pinions, I'll have to buy a new motor mount plate but it isn't much. I can't wait to get it! I plan on using it for a while with the VXL-3 ESC because if I already have one... might as well. I got the 3.5mm male to 4mm female connectors so I can run the motors so I won't have to solder anything. I put the order in yesterday and NitroRCX already says it shipped today around 2. I can't wait to get it in the mail! I have a fan on my VXL-3 and many people said that on 2s lipo (which is what I only run) the VXL shouldn't thermal using that motor, it is only 2 poles and size doesn't matter, current does.

The only thing that makes me SOOO MAD is that the motor is $36 and the pinions are $2.75 each, which I would gladly pay (plus connecters for $1 for 3 connectors x 2 in case one breaks) and the shipping came to $30! URG! That's almost as much as I paid for the motor! > They really need to lower their prices. It's coming with USPS to Calgary, Canada and should be here sometime next week. If the VXL-3 doesn't work out, then I have a ********* Waterproof SC8 in mind. I found many on ebay for $65 shipped and new. I hope the VXL works though, again I spent $70 on tires and $80 on motor and accesories this weekend so my mom doesn't want me going overboard with this hobby. It can become expensive. Quickly.

Any feedback on the motor, lipos, temps or anything? I'd love to hear more about this motor. I already saw jangs video on youtube and the motor did EASY wheelies/backflips on 2s in a stampede so this shouldn't have a problem running my 2.8trenchers.

RC Qualifier
    I thought you had a 2 wheel drive slash that makes a big difference on motors this is the 4x4 forum
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Racer
    look into tenshock they are cheap and great. if you want a vellineon system again i have two for sale

I hope the vxl esc likes your new motor dude just keep an eye on your temps man.......peace

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good, but I would strongly recommend soldered joints over terminals any day, the current draw through terminals is greater then through a soldered joint, therefore as few terminals as possible. Run with terminals first to see how temps are going recommend check every few minutes of short fast runs, if all good after first battery get a second one in there (2S) and check it again. If temps are up on second battery but manageable temps then look at soldered joints (check temps at terminals to as you will see the current draw through them in the temp readings).
    Practice soldering to if you are not confident, I teach my workshop staff soldering on scrap pieces of wire and old electronic components, attention to detail in the preparation is the key, the soldering part should be quick to do. Also get some freeze spray for cooling the solder rapidly, this will prevent the heat from getting into components that you do not want excessive heat in.