RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Not a great experience with Dusty Motors LCG cover

I finally got a chance to test this cover out. With a new baby in the house theres been little time for RC's but my wife actually SUGGESTED we go to a local parking lot so I can drive my rally and my 2 year old can run around. Needless to say, Cali got a good workout chasing the rally.

The parking lot is covered in a decent coating of winter road sand. Its a mix of super fine dust and sand with a few small stones mixed in. Without a cover, the rally chassis literally gets filled with sand... and I mean FILLED. With the non LCG dusty motors shroud rigged on the chassis only the rear of the chassis tub, all around the motor and bearing area, gets filled, the front stays pretty empty. I figured the fact that any sand was getting in at all was due mostly to the cover not fitting properly. So as soon as the LCG cover came out I bought one. Unfortunately they changed more on this cover than just where the nerf bar slots are located. Both the front and rear sections of the cover, infront of and behind the nerf bar arms, is shorter than with the non LCG cover. The cover itself fits nicely around the nerf bar mounts but because there is less cover in front of the nerf bars I think the wheels are still throwing sand under the front of the cover. Im going to try a foam block to see if maybe that will help keep the sand out but after 2 packs with the non LCG cover, then 2 packs with the proper LCG cover, the sand in the chassis is pretty much identical.

My last resort is to find and try one of the Jconcepts over trays. They arent very common right now, especially in canada, so ill have to hunt one down. Who knows, with enough velcro, maybe thats the answer im looking for.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    I put the Jconcepts cover on my Rally with high expectations, but so far disappointed. I've put velcro where I can and mounted a computer fan filter over the fan on my motor, I still come back with the same results cover has come loose from the velcro and the body is filled with debris or the cover stays on and the body is still filled with debris just finer. I'm going to try putting glue backed foam about a 1/4" square on edges of cover where anything can get in. Then maybe a body post with a clip, I know this can work just not as easily as expected.

RC Enthusiast
    Well i am still using my non lcg outerwares from my old sl4sh. If u put the velcro on the top edge of the nerf bar mounts and in between them on the chassis it seals great for me. I only get dust in my chassis and ive been on a baseball diamonds and in snow bashing and really no leaks or complaints from me. I would post a pic but i dont think i can yet.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Pave I still get a minute (minoot) amount of particles in my chassis, but it is far better than the alternative of not having one. I highly doubt there is anything out there that can totally keep the chassis totally free of particles. There is still an opening for the driveshaft, servo, and the small gaps the shrouds don't totally cover (where the slits are for the nerf bars). I mainly use mine to keep rocks, sticks, and such out. I just don't see anything keeping the smaller stuff out and letting it breathe at the same time. As much as i'd like to have the best of both worlds you have to give up one for the other. I still need to fill the void in the front of the shroud though. I like the foam block idea. I believe they made it so the Rx box can sit outside the shroud and help block some of those debris. I've been way happier with this one vs the ones that arent specific to it. I do agree with you pave I wished it did a tad better job, but I don't think it's fully the shrouds fault as noted above.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    This confirm what I thought about that it didn't cover the whole chassi.
    But I got an idea!
    To fit the shroud for Slash on Rally...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

^^ Slash 2X4? or slash 4X4? Many of us have tried the 4X4 cover with mixed results. Better than nothing but I wasnt happy with it. I did try taking the nerf bars off the car and using the cover and it didnt help alot. The properly fitting cover is better than no cover for sure, but just not what I was hoping. It works excellent on my ERBE but the wheels are outside the body on that truck. On the rally the wheels being iside the body is the problem IMO. Im still going to try the Jconcepts cover and see how that goes. Not point in quitting now. gotta try everything.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Hook up with one of those fancy-shmancy lcg chassis, The open ones lol. How much does a fella spend on the alternate chassis MGR vs parts to strengthen, cover, battery expansion, oversized bearings/motor mount, motor plate.....all to get to a specific low maintenance/reliability/rigidity. I pay about $180 for a RCE chassis...built in heat sink, oversized bearings, self cleaning chassis, very ridged...."go ahead, give it good HARD bash"! Many battery mount options with provided hardware, tons more with a Velcro mod.
    I still get the feeling im missing out without owning an actual trx rally, then, top it with the only RCE Rally on the forum......feel like Im that guy with a sl4sh, insisting that the putting a rally sticker on my loweres "truck" made it a Rally!
    Its been quite a while sense I've gotten out right amped up over a bash session but now that the snows gone and im bashing again, I've been getting the itch to get out there for a few packs. The action and ability of my rally is a perma-grin every time. I don't think it would be as fun for me if I was dumping it out (debris) every pack, or some of the extra parts going into it to hold it down, keep it rigid, strong, cool, ....... I can pound this thing as is.
    Lil things like the way pave feels, followed by similar experiences make me consider skipping a stock chassis. I've considered it off and on for some months. Bottom line is what I know I have vs what I see other members battling. I am almost 100% sure that my summer build will be a second RCE Rally rather than a stock chassis buildup. I'm gonna see what the new SSC chassis design looks like in a few weeks before I hit the shop ans grab another RCE chassis, arms set up.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    @ dread. You know we still consider you part of the Rally guys. No matter what it looks like under the lid.

Statements are so true though. BTW I almost picked up a Slice-A V.5 chassis a little while back. Which is kinda close to the TRCE one for the Slash 4x4. It would work just like the one you are running.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I like the SSC kit because its aluminum, but I LOVE the RCE kit with those beautiful machined parts. I think im going to keep running the rally as it is until it breaks. But your right dread... the $$ I have in the king headz mount, chassis brace and dusty motors cover would almost pay for the SSC chassis.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    ^^ Slash 2X4? or slash 4X4? Many of us have tried the 4X4 cover with mixed results. Better than nothing but I wasnt happy with it. I did try taking the nerf bars off the car and using the cover and it didnt help alot. The properly fitting cover is better than no cover for sure, but just not what I was hoping. It works excellent on my ERBE but the wheels are outside the body on that truck. On the rally the wheels being iside the body is the problem IMO. Im still going to try the Jconcepts cover and see how that goes. Not point in quitting now. gotta try everything.
    This!
    Will post some pics when I have something to show...

Saw now that they have improved the shroud.

Old

New

But there is still one thing I don't like about it, and it's not the color of the rims...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

The first one you linked to is the regular 4X4 cover... ive used it. Doesnt work great, but better than nothing.

The 2nd one IS improved and I seriously think it would work WAY better than the old LCG chassis shroud as seen in your first pic ^^... which is the one I have.

Heres a few of the pics of I have of mine...

Dusty Motors non LCG 4X4 cover:

Outerwears non LCG 4X4 cover:

I dont have any of the proper LCG cover... when it finally stops raining ill go out and run again and get some pics.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    The first one you linked to is the regular 4X4 cover...
    Yes, I'm going to do a mod on the chassi to make it fit.
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

Why do that when dusty motors now makes a cover that fits the rally chassis properly with no mods and is as long as the 4X4 one is... just get that one and leave your car alone.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I just got 2 of 'em in the mail for my LCG chassis. I hope they are the latest version, as I saw a vid on how to install it, and it looks like it fits well. When I took my rigs up camping a couple of weks ago, they acted like wheelbarrows & collected everything! So this shroud better work!

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Qualifier
    Why do that when dusty motors now makes a cover that fits the rally chassis properly with no mods and is as long as the 4X4 one is... just get that one and leave your car alone.
    1. I already have the shroud.

2. The work is in progress.

3. Didn't see the improved shroud until yesterday.

4. I still got an issue with the LCG shroud. That's the biggest reason why I am doing what I'm doing...

Just a little patience, I will show you...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

Im just impatient. hehe. Im interested to see what you do. I hope it works. Im still looking for a good solution.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    I'm glad to see they tweaked their design a bit. It looks like it should be much more effective. I almost purchased this a few weeks ago before they came out with the new one, so I'm glad I held off. I'm waiting to see pics of this new design installed and tested.

RC Qualifier
    I got mine in, & on. Fits well, seals the whole chassis.

AB

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    I was hoping someone would do a report on this. Let us know how that improved version works out.

Man. I almost want to write them and see if I can send the TWO I have here back to them. The original LCG version should never have been built the way it is. FWIW, the cover on my ERBE works excellent.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Not sure what you guys are doing. I am using the Outerwears cover, sure it isn't made for the Rally and fitment isn't %100. But, I get no where near the amount of stuff you got in those pics. Keeps about %98 of the stuff out, I have ran in wet conditions, mud, sand, dirt, grass. Since using it all I do is flip the car upside down to get rid of the odd piece here and there. Extremely happy with it.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure what they want to say with this?
    It could be the improved version...
    I'm though sure there not doing like i'm doing...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Nice mod sverige!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

This is what im doing with mine:

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    I got one of the original versions a few months ago....after I saw this thread the other day, I looked up the new one on Ebay and messaged Dusty Motors telling them I was disappointed with the original one because it would let tons of sand/dirt in the front and back. They got back to me in an hour and said they were very sorry I had a bad experience and are sending me the updated version free of charge. just thought I'd let you guys know......

RC Qualifier
    That's good to hear.

It sounded a little different when I asked them about the shroud not covering the whole chassis, 3 month ago. They were very quick to reply. Mindaugas answer:

"Hi,
    This shroud for the new Traxxas LCG chassis was designated that way and it doesn't cover all chassis. It does not cover what doesnt need to be covered. Trust me it will work as like as other shrouds of ours.

Best Regards
    Dusty Motors"

Good that they changed their minds...

No wonder they have 100% positive feedback on ebay.
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

Email sent. We'll see what happens. Ive got 5 dusty motors covers... Im a pretty good customer. Hopefully they take care of me the same way they did you mnmsgall...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    I hope they do. I was honestly surprised. I was only hoping for possibly a discount on a new one. They definitely exceeded my expectations.

RC Qualifier
    I finally got the chance to install my Dusty Motors shroud on my RALLY chassis. I put the other one on my Slash 4X4 truck. I only drive on pavement, so consequently, I only pick up rocks, glass, trash etc...and it gets a bit DUSTY! I decided to install a motor fan to increase airflow within the shroud. I've heard of guys reading temps about 10 degrees higher with the shroud on. I'd been having cooling problems anyway, until I popped a few holes in the body. I like the way the shroud seals the entire chassis. I'll be trying it out tomorrow at a spot where I KNOW I'll pick up some debris. I think the Dusty Motors will work out fine!

AB

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Sent Dusty Motors an email..They are sending me a new cover.
    Great customer service.

RC Qualifier
    I think you guys will be happy with the new cover. Mine seals perfectly. I ran a couple of 4100mAh packs through this morning, nothing but a fine layer of dust from an asphalt paved street. The highest temps read were between 160-170 degrees. I'm happy!

AB

They're sending me a new one also. Just got the email. Ill spend more $$ with. Company like that.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    They're sending me a new one also. Just got the email. Ill spend more $$ with. Company like that.
    Heck yeah. Me too!!

Just got my NEW dusty motors cover in the mail. Havent had a chance to slip into the shop and give it a test but those guys are AWESOME. it arrived faster than a pile of purchased ive been waiting for from guys in the US.

Based on their level of build quality and customer service I cant recommend them any higher.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Just received my replacement cover also..That was really fast shipping to Canada..

First rate service customer service in my books..I won,t hesitate to buy from Dusty Motors...

RC Qualifier

Maybe there should be a title "Great experience with Dusty Motors"...?
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

I was thinking that also... better if the title was changed. hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    My original cover got torn up from mounting under the chassis on the very first day. I emailed them and they sent me a replacement. The 2nd time, instead of putting Velcro on the bottom of the car, I did it along the side, just like the front and the back is done by default. The only issue is that nurf bar mounts have gaps that let stuff in that way. I covered them with duct tape. Function > form
    It's been solid for over a month now
    Dusty Motors is legit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
    My original cover got torn up from mounting under the chassis on the very first day. I emailed them and they sent me a replacement. The 2nd time, instead of putting Velcro on the bottom of the car, I did it along the side, just like the front and the back is done by default. The only issue is that nurf bar mounts have gaps that let stuff in that way. I covered them with duct tape. Function > form
    It's been solid for over a month now
    Dusty Motors is legit.
    I ran mine pretty hard last week, and had the same problem. The bottom kept ripping off, and holes were worn on the sides by the nerf bars. I guess I'll have to e-mail them also. Can you show pics of how you have yours mounted now? Thanks!

AB