Thread: diff. or locked

RC Racer

diff. or locked

tranny still butter smooth but wondering witch would be better in sandy track and bashing off road don't do much speed runs (boring) and what's the best diff?

Locker isn't good for much except snapping drive shafts. It's an especially bad idea with independent rear suspension.

RC Racer
    what's a good diff? stock lasted a year and still good and smooth

RC Champion
    A locked differental in my humble opinion is only good for hi grip drag racing. Used in off road or most other types of road course or ovals will just make the car push when turning.

I have had good success with the stock tranny in both of my 2wd Slashes.

I have since changed one to the Proline tranny and the other to a HOT Racing for no reason other than in a effort to lower motor temps with their metal motor mounts.

I liked the sealed diff in the Proline and adjustable slip and can say no more on it..

I use the Hot racing tranny with the new sealed diff and is more durable than the PL IMO....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    I know what a locked is for a few of my friends have and like them others tell me to get a better diff both my diff's are over a year old neither of them ben apart and my temps on sct 3800kv are never more then 140 but want something that looks good cause I have a Baja bug boddy with no fake engine and figure I would get better diff for inside while its apart getting a hr case will I notice a difference if I put a hr one in? like I sed my stock is working fine

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Locked diffs limit your handling. The hot racing sealed diff lets you tune the diff action , and its avail for about 25$ shipped or less on ebay.

The stock diff is very, VERY durable. Its just that without a ton of hand/working/fitting/modding, its very hard to seal for silicone oil...

Like harry said, the less slip that your "posi" diff has, the more strain it puts on all other driveline components, and a locked diff is Hades on drive shafts, especially the stock ones.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    A locked differental in my humble opinion is only good for hi grip drag racing. Used in off road or most other types of road course or ovals will just make the car push when turning.
    Actually, it was one of the speed freaks on here that posted about the locked diff being no good for speed runs either. I'm not into the straight speed run thing, but the guy who posted about it said that the independent suspension mated with locker made the vehicle very unstable at speed. He was under the impression that the left and right wheels being able to move independently of each other while the drive shafts could not, made it unpredictable and almost impossible to keep straight.

RC Racer
    like I sed I know what a locked diff does have two in jeep . one in a little truck like these are dumb the smallest diff fom on shock to other makes it crazy and my stock seams to work way better I can full throttle and go straight (till it lifts) im putting case for looks and wondering if I should even bother changing diff but if so want one strong as stock

For the Slash, I would probably go with the Hot Racing sealed diff. The reviews seem to be pretty good and being that it's sealed, you can tune it with different weight silicone diff fluids. Probably the strongest and most tune-able option for the stock trans setup.

RC Racer
    thanks harry the proline looks cool but junk

RC Racer
    Have you considered either adding some thick-ish diff oil periodically as per the last paragraph of the Slash Spec Racing Setup Guide or fully sealing the diff using the Dr Isotope method over at URC.

I have tried the first method and saw big improvements in handling.

RC Racer
    I never had any prob with it stock I need to work on it (not that it needs it) part of the fun is working on them this never broke once so figured with bug body I would make the engine and tranny look cooler but don't want to compromise reliability

RC Champion
    I think you would be very pleased with the HR seald diff in the stock tranny.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

I just last night put ofna diff lock in my stock diff. Still turns properly when you want it to. Lights up both tires in a heartbeat if you want it to. And its really sticky grease that won't come out not silicone oil. So it works perfect in my stock diff. Combined with a rpm tranny box it cools it better and its just designed way better than stock.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

For bashing and racing a open diff is what you want, you can get an aftermarket diff that will allow you to change the diff fluid for different surfaces. Snow and Sand are two surfaces where I locked diff is a good idea.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    I know scott I built open/lockable diffs for my Polaris quads and razor

I think if you were strictly running on sand, a locked diff would be ok... or maybe ice (or snow as greatscott mentions). But any other surface, you really need the differential to be working.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    dont lock. throw some high weight diff oil in that. like 120k would be almost locked but would give when it needs to

RC Racer
    I have never had prob. with diff. ben bashing and racing it for a year no problems and do very well at track just want to bling it up some cause im running a vw bug boddy and can see trany/engine will all my stock parts fit in proline case(like the black)
    Last edited by superslasher; 04-12-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superslasher View Post
    I have never had prob. with diff. ben bashing and racing it for a year no problems and do very well at track just want to bling it up some cause im running a vw bug boddy and can see trany/engine will all my stock parts fit in proline case(like the black)
    No, but they will fit in the HR trans case.
    The pro line case has larger out put bearings.
    But the HR case looks a lot like the pl case,and has extra cooling sinks.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Ok, I'm lost. The diff goes inside the trans, so there is no bling factor to it, regardless of body. Are you looking for a differential or a new transmission?

RC Racer
    Have you considered the RPM case - the metal plate it has does a really good job on cooling - I'm loving mine and so are a lot of other people. I run with 300k in the diff (not sealed and don't race) in Clash 1 and it works well for me on a range of surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
    Have you considered the RPM case - the metal plate it has does a really good job on cooling - I'm loving mine and so are a lot of other people. I run with 300k in the diff (not sealed and don't race) in Clash 1 and it works well for me on a range of surfaces.
    i know i love mine lol.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    ok harry need to read post better I want more bling (tranny) but most are just cases I was wondering what diff is as strong and dependable as stock (at least mine) ben a year and its still smooth and works as good as all I ride/race with

ok harry need to read post better I want more bling (tranny) but most are just cases I was wondering what diff is as strong and dependable as stock (at least mine) ben a year and its still smooth and works as good as all I ride/race with
    Still confused. Are you saying I need to read your posts better, or you need to spell and punctuate your posts better?

So I guess he's talking about the transmission case, but I do know how purty my HR and FLM diffs are, I just can't see them.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    thanks got my answer