RC Competitor

Pre-run questions

I got a Spartan about 3 months ago(), and I have a few questions. 1: How often does the Spartan capsize? 2: What water condition does the spartan like? 3: Can it hurt somebody if you run it into somebody? 4: Does it hurt the Spartan if it gets beached (run up onto shore)? 5: Should you let a girl who drives my Traxxas Summit up a tree and breaks my transmission drive the spartan? If you don't know the answers to all of them, you don't have to guess on the ones you don't know.

Traxxas Summit+Spartan=AWESOMNESS!!!
    Last edited by RCROCKS75; 04-23-2013 at 08:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    1: Mine never has. 2: All boats like it smooth as glass 3: If the point on the front of that boat hit somebody at 50mph it would be REAL BAD 4: Running it up on sand wont hurt anything as long as you shut the throttle down before the prop hits. But I wouldn't run it up on anything hard like rocks. 5: NO WAY!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    If you run 6s lipos then it is very easy to flip the boat. We always tape the hatch down to keep it from coming off in a flip. If the hatch stays on it is less likely the boat will turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    2: All boats like it smooth as glass
    Not necessarily. Full-size offshore power boats actually go faster if there are waves. As long as you can trim the boat out right to keep the drives in the water, the time the hull spends out of the water actually reduces friction; the same is true for R/C boats, but the waves have to be much, much smaller. There are hull designs that perform better in smooth water, but a deep vee hull isn't one of those.

To the original poster: Do not run an R/C boat around people. As has been mentioned above, it can be extremely dangerous.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Any other things I should know about before driving it???

Plus, thanks for answering me!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-25-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    1. Depends on driving habits and water conditions, but mostly driving habits.

2. Smooth with a slight wind ripple on top. Waves can be fun, but are hard on flex shafts and other components if running even close to aggressively. A slight ripple helps break the surface tension between the hull and the water.

3. ABSOLUTELY, I have bumped into myself with mine at very low speed and that pointy nose leaves a bruise real easy. At high speed very serious injuries can result from impact or a spinning prop. ALWAYS operate responsibly away from people, pets, waterfowl, pleasure crafts, etc.

4. It certainly can, depending on the beach and speed. a slow beaching on a sandy beach may not result in any damage, a high speed beaching on a rocky shoreline could be a disaster. Apart from hull damage from impact, the rudder and prop can be damaged due to impact. Consider swapping out a rudder bolt for a breakaway nylon type.

5. There are generally no trees in lakes and ponds, and the Spartan has no transmission, so good to go. But seriously, obstacles can be present, and in keeping with item 3, inexperienced or younger RC operators should start with less powerful models until their skill and/or maturity level allows for safe, confident, and consistent operation. Whether that person is a girl or not has no relevance, my daughter and I enjoy RC and her skill and confidence level is commensurate with the Spartan and other fast electric models.
    It is not possible for us to evaluate the competence of an operator here on a forum, only you can make the judgement call on this particular individual.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 04-29-2013 at 02:17 PM.