RC Qualifier

pics of rear diff being filled with 30k diff oil

Hi! Someone was asking for pics of rear diff being filled with oil, i was doing mine today so took a few pics, nothing outrageous to report, but may help someone who hasn't done it before know what to expect...

Here is the rear diff, removed from vehicle:

Undo the four screws and gently remove big cog from diff casing:

Then it's time to clean. I let my drain over night, and then just rinsed with water and rubbed off any residue with a cloth.

Then it's time to re-assemble, and fill with diff fluid. The manual says fill half way, so that cogs are half-covered in fluid. I did mine just over half way in case of light spillage / leakage:

Then put it back together and have lots of fun. I was recommended to try 50k front and 30k rear, so that is what i am doing, but haven't finished putting truck back together yet, so can't comment on the difference it will make. I certainly prefer the idea of having diff fluid in the rear diff as opposed to 'grease'.

Hope that helps.

RC Competitor
    thanks for the instructions.

my truck has had a year of light bashing and cruising around the neighborhood... never opened the diffs. if i opened them now would the insides be dirty? does sand/dirt make its way inside somehow? how often should the diff oil be changed?

i suppose now would be the time to do it since my truck is tore apart on the bench at the moment
    p4de mmp2400 - stock p4de - wraith

RC Qualifier
    I would say go for it! Yes dirt can make its way in, or fluid can leak - depending on how and where it has been used. Saying that mind wasn't that dirty, just a bit metallic and dark coloured, not too bad, but it will run better now its got fresh fluid. One bottle can do lots of re-fils so if the truck is apart, why not? Also means you can maintain the bearings near it, which is good to do.

RC Champion
    Your diffs will have grease instead of silicone oil. They will probably be pretty nasty but I recommend that you clean,fill them with silicon oil and shim them!!

RC Qualifier
    true that! stock = 30k in front and grease in the rear.

RC Competitor
    I embarked on the diff cleaning journey last night. Both diffs were full of a thick gooey sludge. I wiped everything off as best as possible, then let them sit on a paper towel over night.

So now you're saying just run everything under hot water to rinse the remaining residue off, then dry the components and re-assemble? (add diff fluid of course)

Oh and another question: the rubber seal... is that re-usable?

p4de mmp2400 - stock p4de - wraith

RC Champion
    Yes you can reuse the rubber seal in most cases if its still an intact circle. I like to use a tooth brush and the blue dawn soap on all the gears including the diff case to get all the particles and grease out.

Its always a good idea to check your diffs every few months and give them a good clean and rebuild and if your spider gears are mint just buy a new diff case part no.5381 and if you got the cash get an I bar from a revo or XO-1 spider gear kit to make it bulletproof dudes......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Speeniepoo - can you give me a few pointers on the diff upgrade you just mentioned? XO-1 diff mod? Can I assume you mean to just purchase the diff assembly for the XO-1 and use that instead? Hopefully I'm not asking a dumb question. I will eventually just google this myself, but hoping maybe you're see my posts in these threads. In fact, maybe a
    I'll just add ya as a friend and PM you to avoid wasting everyone's time with posts

...... Peace
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BASH N SLASH View Post
    Speeniepoo - can you give me a few pointers on the diff upgrade you just mentioned? XO-1 diff mod? Can I assume you mean to just purchase the diff assembly for the XO-1 and use that instead? Hopefully I'm not asking a dumb question. I will eventually just google this myself, but hoping maybe you're see my posts in these threads. In fact, maybe a
    I'll just add ya as a friend and PM you to avoid wasting everyone's time with posts

...... Peace
    TRA6882X

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=9335

RC Racer
    Thanks Jtalue,

I'll do some more googlin' to see how it all
    Comes together.

Thanks for the assist!

Joe
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Qualifier
    I have 50 and 30w oil.. I put 30 in the front, would you have put 50 instead?

RC Qualifier
    30 is too thin IMO. Its what is in there from the factory. 50 will help the front wheels pull the truck through turns. With a larger motor you could even go a bit higher.

Sent from my phone.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Slaughter is right on. Start with 50,000 in ft and 30,000 in rear. Bias the thicker oil in the front 100%/60%.

You can really tune how the truck turns under power by changing that ratio.
    Last edited by rag6; 07-23-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Yeah 50 in the front and 30 in the rear is the way I rock my diffs and its a better drive in general......peace

RC Qualifier
    okay, I put 50 in the front. I will break apart the back tonight and put 30 in there. Thanks kiddos!

RC Qualifier
    hey cossack4
    How does it run since you changed the oil? I'm tearing mine down thursday to put 30wt in the rear. Already replaced front with 50wt.

RC poster
    What type of oil should I purchase for my diffs thanks .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mralberta View Post
    What type of oil should I purchase for my diffs thanks .
    It's really preference at this point but most are using 30wt (rear) and 50wt (front). As for me I'm using 20wt front and rear so once again it's up to you to experiment with the weights.

TRA5136

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7393

TRA5137

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7397
    Last edited by jtalaue; 08-02-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Its always good to play a round finding whats right for you and your truck.......peace